Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta Shuttle: LAX-SFO hourly. How does UA respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

I just received an email from Delta announcing their hourly Delta Shuttle between LAX and SFO

"Complementary beer, wine and premium food will be served onboard, even in economy. Of coure, wi-fi will be available for purchase"

So my question is... how, if in any way, does UA respond to this? I fly this route ALL the time I will be keeping a close eye on prices with another serious competitor (besides SW and VX)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm guessing by downsizing planes and/or cutting capacity?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

that would be a shame. as is they're still superior to virgin and southwest on this route (well southwest is arguable I guess but I never buy in time to get cheap southwest fares so I've stuck with UA).

Also I suspect delta will realize the hourly stuff is terrible with a) all the fog in SFO and b) what plane? E70s?

But... well will be interesting. UA shuttles a lot on this route for international connections right?I wonder how it will respond.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Never thought I would say, I miss Ted (rar!)...

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
They will respond with hourly EMB-120 service with direct service via FAT.

Complimentary ear-plugs if you ask...
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both DL & US have experimented with various brand differentiators on their East Coast (as well as ORD) "shuttle" routes. And UA tried something close with its Business Select between LGA/DCA-ORD.

These things tend to peter out after a while because history seems to show that the market won't shift for a 1/2-sandwich. This is a pretty upscale demographic route, so the real factors are likely to be corporate deals and convenience.

The one feature I really liked about the DCA-ORD service on UA was that they made an effort to use the B gates closest to the checkpoint. Because of the narrow ORD terminal, it was no more than a 1-minute walk from the checkpoint.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

i miss the ua shuttle days on this route
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Forget TED, some of us are old enough to remember Sh!ttle by United

Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL offering super cheap fares right now, around $150 for Y and $365 for discount F. (I typically pay around $450 for bus select on WN out of Oakland.) Web page says free food and drink (including beer/wine), even in Y: (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...3162158-A01A-A)

An aggressive move by DL. Sensing weakness at UA?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACVBear
Also I suspect delta will realize the hourly stuff is terrible with a) all the fog in SFO and b) what plane? E70s?
CR7/CR9
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
DL offering super cheap fares right now, around $150 for Y and $365 for discount F. (I typically pay around $450 for bus select on WN out of Oakland.) Web page says free food and drink (including beer/wine), even in Y: (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...3162158-A01A-A)

An aggressive move by DL. Sensing weakness at UA?
Why are we thinking this is singling out UA? That market is pretty full with WN, VX, AA, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

The new management doesn't do the "shuttle" thing well. No Boston/NY/DC shuttles like US and DL have.
My guess is they'll do nothing, including not speeding up the snail like pace of wifi installation
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by ACVBear
i miss the ua shuttle days on this route
Ladies and Gentlemen ... I give Sh!ttle by United dba Continental!

Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why are we thinking this is singling out UA? That market is pretty full with WN, VX, AA, etc.
If you look very very carefully, you will see there is a question mark at the end of my last sentence. That means I am asking people what they think. Please note that this is conceptually different from making an assertion.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Forget TED, some of us are old enough to remember Sh!ttle by United

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.