Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated PEK connections/logistics/lounges domestic/international

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated PEK connections/logistics/lounges domestic/international

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedog423
Right, if UA flight is late, they would accommodate. But what if UA flight is on time, but immigration is particularly busy and I miss my connection? Is UA not obligated to book me on a different flight in that case since it wasn't their fault?
Will UA buy you a paid ticket on CA if they've delivered you on time but there are no award seats open? Maybe. Wouldn't count on it. Life (and airline travel) is full of uncertainties.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Right, if UA flight is late, they would accommodate. But what if UA flight is on time, but immigration is particularly busy and I miss my connection? Is UA not obligated to book me on a different flight in that case since it wasn't their fault?
They'll accommodate you one way or another but it will be when there is availability. Maybe that's the CA flight that night or maybe it's a TG flight two days later. No one really knows the answer as to when since there are so many factors involved.

Most of the time when you misconnect a long haul flight you get to spend at least one night at the connection point.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by JDS747
They'll accommodate you one way or another but it will be when there is availability. Maybe that's the CA flight that night or maybe it's a TG flight two days later. No one really knows the answer as to when since there are so many factors involved.

Most of the time when you misconnect a long haul flight you get to spend at least one night at the connection point.
The OP's inbound flight would probably have to be so late that it misconnected with the CA flight in addition to the TG flight in order for the overnight to be forced. I've never seen either of these flights go out 100% full outside of Chinese holiday periods.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: AADULtArer
No.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
PEK is the most delayed major airport in the world. IMO avoid connecting there at all costs. As always YMMV.

SunLover
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I was hoping moondog would chime in. This is the most knoledgeable poster here about anything China. Go with that advice!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MP
I had a CA-UA connection there in December. My CA flight from ICN was delayed, and by the time I got to a transfer desk (CA couldn't issue my BP in ICN), the agent called UA at the gate, who then refused to issue the BP (it was after the flight was under gate control). The CA agent at the counter gave me a UA phone number, some paper for immigration saying I had been rebooked on the next day's flight to SFO (I was traveling to ORD) and told me to call them to get rebooked. When I pointed out I didn't have any money, so I couldn't use the phone, she gave me a phone card. This was on Christmas, so merry Christmas from UA.

I found the UA baggage office and went there (as I had checked bags) - the staff there were actually helpful and tried the counter, but nobody was there. They then told me to go to a CA counter and see if they could help. I went there and they, after initially insisting my CA flight wasn't late (I never even brought it up and tried to get them to help me), called someone from UA over and they had rebooked me on an AC flight that night.

Definitely not going to transit in PEK again.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acregal
I had a CA-UA connection there in December. My CA flight from ICN was delayed, and by the time I got to a transfer desk (CA couldn't issue my BP in ICN), the agent called UA at the gate, who then refused to issue the BP (it was after the flight was under gate control). The CA agent at the counter gave me a UA phone number, some paper for immigration saying I had been rebooked on the next day's flight to SFO (I was traveling to ORD) and told me to call them to get rebooked. When I pointed out I didn't have any money, so I couldn't use the phone, she gave me a phone card. This was on Christmas, so merry Christmas from UA.

I found the UA baggage office and went there (as I had checked bags) - the staff there were actually helpful and tried the counter, but nobody was there. They then told me to go to a CA counter and see if they could help. I went there and they, after initially insisting my CA flight wasn't late (I never even brought it up and tried to get them to help me), called someone from UA over and they had rebooked me on an AC flight that night.

Definitely not going to transit in PEK again.

Sounds like this could be a connection in any delay-prone US airport, where carriers pass the buck to each other.

If there is a delay - you need to know alternatives and demand to be put on flights you want - if you leave it up to the airline agents, they will go with line of least resistance - this is not a PEK issue.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Sounds like this could be a connection in any delay-prone US airport, where carriers pass the buck to each other.

If there is a delay - you need to know alternatives and demand to be put on flights you want - if you leave it up to the airline agents, they will go with line of least resistance - this is not a PEK issue.
While I don't disagree with you - PEK is typically the worst or next to worst airport for on time departures in the world - and has been for many years for a variety of issues, including the military, it's treatment of foreign carriers, and too much traffic.

So IMO it is MUCH more likely to happen here. I NEVER connect in PEK if I can avoid it. PEK delays are so common to Chinese / HK residents it's not if it will be delayed, it's how much... Last report I saw showed only 18% of flights depart PEK on time - makes EWR look world class LOL...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 21, 2014 at 7:45 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I was hoping moondog would chime in. This is the most knoledgeable poster here about anything China. Go with that advice!
Many thanks to you -- and also Kacee -- for your kind words. I'm sincerely flattered.

I have to say that I agree with the posters who have said PEK is a terrible place to connect, though I'm predicting that SHA and/or PVG will steal the "most delayed airport in the world" crown from it when the next rankings come out. Check out this thread in the CX forum if you're interested in reading FTer accounts about the madness: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ht-delays.html

That having been said, as I suggested upthread, long haul-->regional connections are usually doable. Insofar as the reverse (regional-->long haul) is concerned, if it's essential that you make a specific flight on the way out, I suggest a 2.5 hour layover (or overnight if you have time to spare). If you don't mind rolling the dice, and your flights are on a single ticket, then you can try for 1.5 hours.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
While I don't disagree with you - PEK is typically the worst or next to worst airport for on time departures in the world - and has been for many years for a variety of issues, including the military, it's treatment of foreign carriers, and too much traffic.

So IMO it is MUCH more likely to happen here. I NEVER connect in PEK if I can avoid it. PEK delays are so common to Chinese / HK residents it's not if it will be delayed, it's how much... Last report I saw showed only 18% of flights depart PEK on time - makes EWR look world class LOL...
Have a read (this is only based on one month - June - but the statistics are real from Flightstats)
http://www.realclearworld.com/lists/...ayed_airports/

so OP dont worry, there is only 18% chance your TG flight will be departing on time anyway :P
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by moondog
That having been said, as I suggested upthread, long haul-->regional connections are usually doable. Insofar as the reverse (regional-->long haul) is concerned, if it's essential that you make a specific flight on the way out, I suggest a 2.5 hour layover (or overnight if you have time to spare). If you don't mind rolling the dice, and your flights are on a single ticket, then you can try for 1.5 hours.
This is good advice and essentially what I follow when booking long haul connections.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
You can also add smog/fog weather delays to that list.

SunLover
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by SunLover
You can also add smog/fog weather delays to that list.

SunLover
Yep. I was in Beijing a few months ago and literally every time I went outside my throat hurt and my eyes were watering down my face. Even the locals wouldn't go out! Here is a picture from the ride from the airport into town:

This was a "sunny" day in Beijing - no clouds - only smog! It's hard to tell from the picture, but the sky was actually slightly yellow - and the acidic feel in the air was amazing...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Used TWOV a couple of times a couple of years ago, and had nice day each time.

Flying out the next day, there was smog everywhere by the time I got to the airport, and ruined my chance to take a picture of Dreamliner that was touring Asia

And next day's flight was cancelled due to low visibility

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.