Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

P fare ticketed in Jan. Different answers on chg. fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

I can't find the fare rules so I am going to the experts.

I want to change the return of a trip that has begun. It was a combo P fare on the TATL and L fare from US to Canada. I want to push my return back a day and the buckets are open.

I was told by Premier Desk agent 1 that the fee was $250 as I ticketed in January. Didn't do change with that agent as I had not firmed up plans for return at that point. NOw I have firm plans, Premier Desk agent 2 says that the change fee was $400 in January and did not increase and I have to pay $400 to change.

Which agent is correct. Of course I want Premier Desk agent 1 to be correct!

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Lol I'm answering my own post. Agent 3 tells me the change fee is $450...,,,,

HUCA and agent 4 says its $250 to change but now there is an add collect of $900 even though the fare buckets are available. this is the first time in 4 calls an add collect is mentioned.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cruisr
Lol I'm answering my own post. Agent 3 tells me the change fee is $450...,,,,

HUCA and agent 4 says its $250 to change but now there is an add collect of $900 even though the fare buckets are available. this is the first time in 4 calls an add collect is mentioned.
if you know the fare code,post it and those of us with EF subscriptions can get you a definitive answer. otherwise post the routing and the ticketing and travel dates and we can figure it out from there.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Unless it's an SDC (within 24 hours), the presence of fare-bucket availability doesn't necessarily mean there's no add-collect.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Have you tried changing it online? It sometimes help to remove the human error factor.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
cruisr:

If you post the date of purchase, the routing, and rough travel dates we can look up what the fare rules probably were.

Most TATL P-fares issued in January had a $400 change fee attached, and you would need to pay the highest of all possible change fees unless you only needed to change a component that could stand on it's own. For example, if you needed to change the return TATL (P) fare, you'd have to pay the $400, but if you only needed to change the USA-Canada segment on the T fare, you could probably get away with paying whatever the change fee is for the T segment.

Having said that, USA-Canada segment should probably have a $150 change fee, so I have no idea where an agent would have gotten $250. My guess is that the agent mistakenly quoted the change fee associated with typical economy TATL fares rather than the P fare you purchased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.