Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IN class vs R class - priority or inventory difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GLD 1MM, AA PLT 2MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver

I'm GS and I have itinerary for 3 passengers booked on UA flight in couple of weeks as Standard Coach award (HN class) using my miles. Pax are GS as well.

I have wait listed this for Saver Business Award (IN class), but could also use a GPUs to upgrade (R class). Upgrade is not available to confirm yet, but chances look decent (over dozen open seats and good revenue inventory still left).

I was told by GS agent that both IN and R come from same inventory, and thus there would be no advantage in likelihood of clearing if I changed from Saver Business Award to GPU. Can anyone here verify if this is accurate?

Looking to maximize the upgrade chance, less concerned about optimizing mileage use or instrument value.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I don't think this is true - many times I have found R inventory but not I inventory, very rarely the other way around. What flight are you on?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sam123
..... I was told by GS agent that both IN and R come from same inventory .....
Well they both get you into the same cabin but I regularly see RN#IN and have seen RN>0 while IN=0 (can not swear that there may be cases the other way).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:28 am

I'm GS and I have itinerary for 3 passengers booked on UA flight in couple of weeks as Standard Coach award (HN class) using my miles. Pax are GS as well.

I have wait listed this for Saver Business Award (IN class), but could also use a GPUs to upgrade (R class). Upgrade is not available to confirm yet, but chances look decent (over dozen open seats and good revenue inventory still left).

I was told by GS agent that both IN and R come from same inventory, and thus there would be no advantage in likelihood of clearing if I changed from Saver Business Award to GPU. Can anyone here verify if this is accurate?

Looking to maximize the upgrade chance, less concerned about optimizing mileage use or instrument value.
Can you use a GPU to upgrade coach award tickets? I thought GPUs were only available for paid ($) tickets?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DougDons
Can you use a GPU to upgrade coach award tickets? I thought GPUs were only available for paid ($) tickets?
Global Services members can use GPUs to upgrade coach award tickets. It's one of the perks of the program.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1k650
I don't think this is true - many times I have found R inventory but not I inventory, very rarely the other way around. What flight are you on?
They will be on UA927 FRA-SFO on 8/13. Currently showing I0 IN0 RN0 R0 C9 D9 Z9.

Two GS agents did claim that although IN and R (or RN) appear as separate fare classes they behind the curtain come from same inventory bucket. Anyone with definitive info on this?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Two GS agents did claim that although IN and R (or RN) appear as separate fare classes they behind the curtain come from same inventory bucket. Anyone with definitive info on this?
It depends on what you mean by the "same inventory bucket". But it is clearly observable the RN can be > IN, so if you are reading the statement as meaning the chances are equal for either RN or IN, that is clearly false from the observable data.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Isn't there an option for GS passengers to convert upgrade space to award space? (haven't tried this recently so I am not sure of that benefit still exists or not) If so, then the likelihood of the two methods of getting into Business would be the same as they would come from the same inventory. The published inventory available to the general public could look different but for GS members only it would be equivalent.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Global Services members can use GPUs to upgrade coach award tickets. It's one of the perks of the program.
Ahh thanks for clarifying. I've never had a shot at GS and probably never will, so never looked into the perks.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K
"Currently showing I0 IN0 RN0 R0 C9 D9 Z9."

Hi - I have a side question, don't want to derail the conversation - but how do you see the class inventory above. I'm quite new to this sort of thing and wouldn't have the first clue what link to click etc.

thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
So can they also bypass the W fare requirement?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by IrishTex
"Currently showing I0 IN0 RN0 R0 C9 D9 Z9."

Hi - I have a side question, don't want to derail the conversation - but how do you see the class inventory above. I'm quite new to this sort of thing and wouldn't have the first clue what link to click etc.

thanks in advance.
You have to enable (and agree to T&Cs) of Expert Mode. Then on flight searches the Fare Class line becomes a hyperlink to the data

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K
They will be on UA927 FRA-SFO on 8/13. Currently showing I0 IN0 RN0 R0 C9 D9 Z9.

Two GS agents did claim that although IN and R (or RN) appear as separate fare classes they behind the curtain come from same inventory bucket. Anyone with definitive info on this?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You have to enable (and agree to T&Cs) of Expert Mode. Then on flight searches the Fare Class line becomes a hyperlink to the data

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html

Thank you very much ! tried Expert Mode and it works for me. this is most helpful
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by hydrogen
So can they also bypass the W fare requirement?
Not for paid tickets - GS cannot upgrade paid tickets cheaper than W. X or XN are not actually deeply discounted coach fares (which are restricted from GPU use).

Note that on 3 cabin GS can also upgrade from I(N) to ON using a GPU

Others have spoken to the inventory differences, however 1 major difference is that as a GS you normally cannot waitlist the use of a GPU on a reward tickets (though some agents have allowed from time to time). You CAN, however waitlist for I from your X ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
major difference is that as a GS you normally cannot waitlist the use of a GPU on a reward tickets (though some agents have allowed from time to time). You CAN, however waitlist for I from your X ticket.
^ Thanks, forgot that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.