Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Holding an award ticket until 330 days before return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!

Some *A partners release award seats exactly 330 days before departure. If I want to grab one of these seats for a round trip, can I place the outbound reservation on hold until it's 330 days before the return date?

I did this before, but two things were different: (1) it was before the merger, and (2) it was an all-UA itinerary. This would be for an entirely *A itin.

I guess it would be too much to ask whether such holds, if they are allowed, can be placed online. I tried it with a dummy booking and there was no option for it.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Generally no.

You can book a one-way and then book a different one-way for the return. Or you can book the one-way and then change it to a round-trip for the return. There may be fees involved, depending on status level.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Ugh, sounds like another Change You'll Like.

There are multiple problems with using 2 one-way awards: no stopovers/open jaws; two change/cancellation fees if the need arises; and, if nothing works for the return flights, there would be a fee to cancel the outbound award.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snic
Ugh, sounds like another Change You'll Like....
not sure what the change was considering this are *A flights .....

Another option is wait a day or two and book an early return (if available) and then change to the desired dates when they become available.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not sure what the change was considering this are *A flights ....
Do you mean that book-and-hold is still available for all-UA itineraries?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:57 pm

Nope.

The ability to hold awards (or revenue fares) died pre-merger IIRC.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
did not say that but hold on *A itins (your situation) was not available pre-merger.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, sbm12 and WineCountryUA!

So it looks like the choices are (1) booking 2 one-way awards, (2) booking a one-way award, then switching it to a round-trip 330 days before the inbound journey, or (3) waiting until 330 days before the inbound to book a round-trip.

Each of these come with their own unique combination of change fees and risks (not to mention that 1 and 2 are basically impossible if one wants an open jaw or stopover), so choosing one takes some real figgerin'.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:07 pm

(not to mention that 1 and 2 are basically impossible if one wants an open jaw or stopover)
This is exactly what option 2 in your list above accomplishes. You add on the extra segments to the original one-way award to make the return trip (plus open jaw/stopover) in a single booking. Yes, you have to pay the fees based on status, but it can be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.