Search

strange refund email from UA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
strange refund email from UA

this morning i awoke to a very strange refund confirmation email from UA, which was referencing an intact international award booking. i have never made a request for a refund on this booking, last weekend i did make a flight change on two of the return segments after a stopover, switching from US to UA metal.

Refund request number: 1574xxxx

United Airlines ticket number: 0162XXXXXXXXX
Passenger name: XXXXX,XXXXXX
Ticket issue date: 7/14/2013
Original ticket value: 81.70
Refund value: 1
Fee or penalty: 0
Form of payment for refund: No Residual Due

Do I need to be concerned? I verified the booking is still intact on partner airline webpages (NH and NZ).

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jul 21, 2013 at 8:43 am
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Was there a refund due to a change in taxes/fees when switching flights after the stopover?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Based on the date, 7/14, this was last Sunday, so it coincides with the changes you made last weekend. I've done changes to an itinerary resulting in lower taxes and thus, requiring a refund but I don't recall receiving that type of e-mail. I did notice the refund on my credit card though. Maybe United has changed the way they do this - and now send a confirmation by e-mail as well? If you're not sure what this means and your booking appears to be OK, I would call United and ask. They should have mentioned if a refund was due to you last week when you made the change. If the amount is what you were told, that would explain the e-mail. If not, call them to find out. With the info in that e-mail, they should be able to figure out what happened.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No refund or add-collect was mentioned as due when I adjusted the booking, even for taxes and fees. I switched from US metal connecting in PHX onto UA metal connecting in SFO, originating in Hawaii, so IIRC the taxes should be the same. I also find it interesting that the "refund value" is "1" with no decimals, etc., and the form of refund indicates "no residual due". I'll call later today if I have time, right now everything *seems* to be in order based on outside appearances, so I am not too concerned, just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of email after an award flight change in routing/carrier.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ddrost1
No refund or add-collect was mentioned as due when I adjusted the booking, even for taxes and fees. I switched from US metal connecting in PHX onto UA metal connecting in SFO, originating in Hawaii, so IIRC the taxes should be the same.
You don't say what your full itinerary is, but since it involves travel on NH and NZ, I assume that it may involve travel to/from Japan and/or New Zealand. The various taxes and fees charged for travel involving those destinations are priced in Yen and New Zealand Dollars. When you changed the connecting city from SFO to PHX, you almost certainly triggered a ticket re-issue and re-price of the entire itinerary. Even if the prices of all the taxes and fees remain unchanged in their base currencies, the prices in USD of all of those will have changed, unless the currency exchange rates are identical to what they were when you originally ticketed (unlikely).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Steve M
Even if the prices of all the taxes and fees remain unchanged in their base currencies, the prices in USD of all of those will have changed, unless the currency exchange rates are identical to what they were when you originally ticketed (unlikely).
That would be consistent with your original post. Looks like you got $1 back.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
You don't say what your full itinerary is, but since it involves travel on NH and NZ, I assume that it may involve travel to/from Japan and/or New Zealand. The various taxes and fees charged for travel involving those destinations are priced in Yen and New Zealand Dollars. When you changed the connecting city from SFO to PHX, you almost certainly triggered a ticket re-issue and re-price of the entire itinerary. Even if the prices of all the taxes and fees remain unchanged in their base currencies, the prices in USD of all of those will have changed, unless the currency exchange rates are identical to what they were when you originally ticketed (unlikely).
just spoke to an agent who confirmed this was the case. even though the taxes on the changed segments were consistent since they were fully domestic ($2.50/pax), the itinerary was reticketed with the change of carrier and resulted in a $1.00 refund per pax.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
[QUOTE=ddrost1;21135671 the itinerary was reticketed with the change of carrier and resulted in a $1.00 refund per pax.[/QUOTE]
Don't spend it all in one place

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.