Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Make sure you double check partner award ticketing!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Had a rather unpleasant experience with Copa today where United didn't properly ticket an award after a schedule change, and Copa did not show a valid ticket for me. They would not budge or call UA on my behalf. Luckily I was at the airport early enough to call UA and straighten it out (it took an hour and $10 in an Internet cafe at the airport)

Finally UA cancelled the segment and rea-dded it, luckily lots of I space, and reissued the ticket. That did it.

Moral:. Always double check with the operating airlines, never trust United, or you may end up stuck in a foreign country somewhere!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, always call the operating carrier to make sure they have the reservation AND ticket.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
...and babysit it daily as SHARES has a habit of doing this.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:52 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Very frustrating. Something similar happened to me a few years ago with a UA-issued LH ticket at TLL. UA told me it was an e-ticket, but TLL didn't take e-tickets at that time (hard to believe that the capital airport of an EU member couldn't do e-tickets in 2007!)

Had to drop $900 on a Y fare one-way.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Talking about that - I am on a flight from SIN to PEK on air china and from PEK to IAD on united. Its an award booking purchased on the same PNR. Based on what I am reading, I might have an issue... .thoughts?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:01 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Thankfully the mistakes are the exception, not the rule.

But it can't hurt to give Air China a quick call to verify they have your record, and for you to take note of your Air China record locator (different than your United locator).

This is not one I would want to be trying to sort out at SIN with Air China agents.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've got another partner thing to check for ... age! I booked my daughter a one way ticket HSV-DCA-EWR using my UA miles where the first flight was operated by US. She got to the airport and the US agents wouldn't let her check in or board because she was 13 and travelling by herself. It seems UA and US have rather different rules about such things. UA was perfectly fine with a 13 year old on her wn so she had herself reticketed on UA and flew home just fine.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
After the initial hiccup with Copa, travelling the rest the rest of the ticket went fine with TACA, LOT, LH and Air China
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
I recently finished finding transatlantic space with three weeks' notice for three pax, and then *doing it all over again* to add a fourth pax and get everyone on the same flight.

An efficient, ultra-competent phone agent helped me book this complicated itinerary (CLE-EWR-LHR // LHR-FRA-IST // IST-MXP-MUC-AMS-EWR-CLE) for the fourth pax (and expressed only mild shock at the horrible, convoluted routing, seeming to accept that I was trying to match another passenger's trip). As she finished ticketing, she said something very wise: "This trip has too many carriers and too many segments. I have been doing this a long time and I can almost guarantee you that if you make any more changes to this trip you will lose some partner space. Be very, very careful."
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
After pushing back the date on a leg award ticket going FLR-VIE-MUC-CGN, the LH reservation still had the original dates in their system (as well as for the later date). Had it taken care of by talking to an LH agent, but they said the rest of the reservation would have been cancelled had I not shown up for the original dates and had it not been corrected.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
ultra-competent phone agent

she said something very wise: "This trip has too many carriers
There's now a limit for the number of carriers allowed on a ticket? or was the first line in jest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.