Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to cancel United Airline Credit Card??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton

We took a trip to Toronto last year and received an offer for the UA card. Thinking it would get us free baggage or extra miles, we agreed to the card. Surprise, nothing applied to the flights we took. So now, it's time to renew. We are relocating out of state. Can I cancel this card without any kind of credit penalty. I never used the card. Thank you.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Did you try calling the number on the back of the card?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mphall
I never used the card.
Which may explain why you didn't get any miles or free baggage:

"The primary cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will receive their first checked standard bag free on United-operated flights. Just add your MileagePlus® number to your reservation and use your Explorer Card to purchase your ticket.

As far as how to cancel, just call the 800 number on the back of the card. How canceling this card will affect your credit rating is dependent on many factors that you probably shouldn't share on a public forum.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
There is no penalty from Chase or United if you cancel the card; just call the number on the card. Be prepared for them to politely try to convince you to stay. Changes to your total available credit and amount of available credit used can impact your credit scores -- if only temporarily and in a small way. That's very unique to each individuals credit file, you can research articles about that online. In general if you're not using the card and are not in the middle of a refi or some other thing where you are paranoid about a small temporary dip/change in your credit score, then cancel.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

So you didn't read the details?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Good questions and no I did not. We moved from Atlanta and use Delta most of the time. I thought all airline credit cards were alike. Guess they showed me.

Free baggage, priority seating, extra credit, etc. is not available on partner airlines with the UA mileage card. Surprise - I was really stupid.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.