Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Old Nov 22, 22, 3:41 pm
  #721  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,525
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
The hours for the Silver line are not so good for early flights. Still not going to work for a large number of flights that leave first part of the day westwards especially on weekends.
Sadly the current hours on Metro are not conducive to enabling travel to either DCA or IAD for either early or late flights.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Nov 22, 22, 9:48 pm
  #722  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 13,063
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Sadly the current hours on Metro are not conducive to enabling travel to either DCA or IAD for either early or late flights.

David
It is pretty similar to BART (SFO). BART is particularly useless Sunday morning early flights.

BART service hours:
Weekdays (5:00 am- Midnight)
Saturday (6:00 am - Midnight)
Sunday (8:00 am - Midnight)

WMATA rail hours:
Monday through Thursday, 5:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.
Friday, 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Saturday: 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Sunday: 7:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.

To make sure I discuss C & D. They are the most miserable sets of United mainline gates anywhere. I was reminded of that when I flew back to SFO on a 777 this year with international wide bodies all leaving next to me and people were standing and sitting on the floor and in the hall aisle. Good not leading the way in those gates.
PACLipper and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by CApreppie; Nov 22, 22 at 9:55 pm
CApreppie is offline  
Old Nov 22, 22, 10:02 pm
  #723  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In between IAD and DCA
Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,174
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
It is pretty similar to BART (SFO). BART is particularly useless Sunday morning early flights.

BART service hours:
Weekdays (5:00 am- Midnight)
Saturday (6:00 am - Midnight)
Sunday (8:00 am - Midnight)

WMATA rail hours:
Monday through Thursday, 5:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.
Friday, 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Saturday: 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Sunday: 7:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.

To make sure I discuss C & D. They are the most miserable sets of United mainline gates anywhere. I was reminded of that when I flew back to SFO on a 777 this year with international wide bodies all leaving next to me and people were standing and sitting on the floor and in the hall aisle. Good not leading the way in those gates.
It is a dump, the 8am and 5pm rushes are particularly bad. I actually feel the same way about DEN these days. Besides that very nice new part at the end of B, it is so crowded always and people are sitting and standing all over the place. During the main bank times, it is a disaster of an airport to transit these days IMO. Simple, yes. Less prone to big issues than EWR or ORD, but it is not enjoyable. I actually find DEN the least likely hub for me to willingly connect in these days.
CApreppie likes this.
UAL250 is offline  
Old Nov 22, 22, 10:08 pm
  #724  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,525
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
It is pretty similar to BART (SFO). BART is particularly useless Sunday morning early flights.

BART service hours:
Weekdays (5:00 am- Midnight)
Saturday (6:00 am - Midnight)
Sunday (8:00 am - Midnight)

WMATA rail hours:
Monday through Thursday, 5:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.
Friday, 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Saturday: 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Sunday: 7:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.

To make sure I discuss C & D. They are the most miserable sets of United mainline gates anywhere. I was reminded of that when I flew back to SFO on a 777 this year with international wide bodies all leaving next to me and people were standing and sitting on the floor and in the hall aisle. Good not leading the way in those gates.
Those are the Metro system hours.

Here are the times for DCA station right now - that being said, during the before pandemic times when basically trains stopped running due to construction and cars being serviced, I landed late into DCA after 11 PM on a weekday and no trains were available to get across the Potomac:

And for good measure, where IAD station claims to be first and last service right now:

David
PACLipper and CApreppie like this.
DELee is online now  
Old Nov 22, 22, 10:10 pm
  #725  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum
Posts: 13,063
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
It is a dump, the 8am and 5pm rushes are particularly bad. I actually feel the same way about DEN these days. Besides that very nice new part at the end of B, it is so crowded always and people are sitting and standing all over the place. During the main bank times, it is a disaster of an airport to transit these days IMO. Simple, yes. Less prone to big issues than EWR or ORD, but it is not enjoyable. I actually find DEN the least likely hub for me to willingly connect in these days.
I purposely avoid DEN since it offers me very little from SFO in terms of extra lifetime miles and might as well fly nonstop if I can if it just adds time and no miles.

Wonder if the latest generation of the family of mice is still living in the United Clubs (RCCs).
SPN Lifer and UAL250 like this.
CApreppie is offline  
Old Nov 22, 22, 10:16 pm
  #726  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In between IAD and DCA
Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,174
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
I purposely avoid DEN since it offers me very little from SFO in terms of extra lifetime miles and might as well fly nonstop if I can if it just adds time and no miles.

Wonder if the latest generation of the family of mice is still living in the United Clubs (RCCs).
Yeah, for you there is little need. I guess if either one of us find ourselves needing to be in Hays, Kansas or Williston, North Dakota we will have no choice!
CApreppie likes this.
UAL250 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 22, 6:57 pm
  #727  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 11,630
As a DC Metro resident (in Montgomery County, MD), the Silver Line does nothing for me.
For me to use it, I have to take Red Line all the way to DC, then change at Metro Center. It will take double amount of time of taking car services. I understrand there is cost difference.
Say Vandelay likes this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 22, 7:53 pm
  #728  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
It is a dump, the 8am and 5pm rushes are particularly bad. I actually feel the same way about DEN these days. Besides that very nice new part at the end of B, it is so crowded always and people are sitting and standing all over the place. During the main bank times, it is a disaster of an airport to transit these days IMO. Simple, yes. Less prone to big issues than EWR or ORD, but it is not enjoyable. I actually find DEN the least likely hub for me to willingly connect in these days.
After landing in the remote recesses of the new end of Concourse A the other day (IAD-DEN), I can only imagine if one had to traverse to the remote (new) end of Concourse B for a tight connection or vice versa.

I used to think other airports were a pain, now it seems it's DEN (home airport).
UAL250 likes this.
2ptraveler is offline  
Old Nov 23, 22, 7:54 pm
  #729  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 49,008
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Well, MWAA and CBP presumably were thinking about the realistic future in designing the IAB. We all know that E/G/G/H aren't getting built until C/D, and good luck with that happening in 10 years. By the time more concourses are built the existing IAB will be in need of replacement . . . and couldn't handle the capacity of 8 concourses anyway.
This. The existing IAB can barely handle what B/C/D sends them now.
chrisny2 and Say Vandelay like this.
halls120 is online now  
Old Nov 24, 22, 7:17 am
  #730  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 1,232
I took the blue and then silver from Alexandria to IAD the other day. Instead of an Uber taking 50 minutes door to door the Metro was closer to an hour and thirty minutes. On the other hand it was $6 vs $65 for the Uber. So basically it comes down to time vs money for me. Occasionally I get surge pricing for the route of over 100, in those cases I will take the metro.
mander is offline  
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:26 pm
  #731  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern California
Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Posts: 844
What an exciting time to be a UA flyer out of IAD!
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
unitedbusiness is online now  
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:28 pm
  #732  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 15,525
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness View Post
What an exciting time to be a UA flyer out of IAD!
Potentially if you want to walk an extra mile or two.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:44 pm
  #733  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by mander View Post
I took the blue and then silver from Alexandria to IAD the other day. Instead of an Uber taking 50 minutes door to door the Metro was closer to an hour and thirty minutes. On the other hand it was $6 vs $65 for the Uber. So basically it comes down to time vs money for me. Occasionally I get surge pricing for the route of over 100, in those cases I will take the metro.
Pre-Covid, if working downtown, say near Farragut West, I could imagine it being faster to take the silver line than take an Uber, because you could be stuck in a lot of traffic before you would reach 267. With h traffic patterns now, maybe not.
mander and Say Vandelay like this.
Artpen100 is offline  
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:47 pm
  #734  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: TPA for now. Hopefully LIS for retirement
Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Otherwise, paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Posts: 12,593
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
As a DC Metro resident (in Montgomery County, MD), the Silver Line does nothing for me.
Well OK, that is nice and all, but I am sure that for most Reston residents the Red Line does nothing for them. So there.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Bear96 is online now  
Old Nov 25, 22, 8:24 am
  #735  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington DC
Programs: UA
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
As a DC Metro resident (in Montgomery County, MD), the Silver Line does nothing for me.
For me to use it, I have to take Red Line all the way to DC, then change at Metro Center. It will take double amount of time of taking car services. I understrand there is cost difference.
Maybe in 35 years time when the purple line is extended to Tyson's corner it will be slightly easier...?
Say Vandelay likes this.
starless is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread