Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CApreppie
The hours for the Silver line are not so good for early flights. Still not going to work for a large number of flights that leave first part of the day westwards especially on weekends.
Sadly the current hours on Metro are not conducive to enabling travel to either DCA or IAD for either early or late flights.

David
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Sadly the current hours on Metro are not conducive to enabling travel to either DCA or IAD for either early or late flights.

David
It is pretty similar to BART (SFO). BART is particularly useless Sunday morning early flights.

BART service hours:
Weekdays (5:00 am- Midnight)
Saturday (6:00 am - Midnight)
Sunday (8:00 am - Midnight)

WMATA rail hours:
Monday through Thursday, 5:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.
Friday, 5:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Saturday: 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
Sunday: 7:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.

To make sure I discuss C & D. They are the most miserable sets of United mainline gates anywhere. I was reminded of that when I flew back to SFO on a 777 this year with international wide bodies all leaving next to me and people were standing and sitting on the floor and in the hall aisle. Good not leading the way in those gates.
PACLipper and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by CApreppie; Nov 22, 2022 at 8:55 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
It is pretty similar to BART (SFO). BART is particularly useless Sunday morning early flights.

BART service hours:

WMATA rail hours:

To make sure I discuss C & D. They are the most miserable sets of United mainline gates anywhere. I was reminded of that when I flew back to SFO on a 777 this year with international wide bodies all leaving next to me and people were standing and sitting on the floor and in the hall aisle. Good not leading the way in those gates.
It is a dump, the 8am and 5pm rushes are particularly bad. I actually feel the same way about DEN these days. Besides that very nice new part at the end of B, it is so crowded always and people are sitting and standing all over the place. During the main bank times, it is a disaster of an airport to transit these days IMO. Simple, yes. Less prone to big issues than EWR or ORD, but it is not enjoyable. I actually find DEN the least likely hub for me to willingly connect in these days.
CApreppie likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BART service hours:

WMATA rail hours:

Those are the Metro system hours.

Here are the times for DCA station right now - that being said, during the before pandemic times when basically trains stopped running due to construction and cars being serviced, I landed late into DCA after 11 PM on a weekday and no trains were available to get across the Potomac:

And for good measure, where IAD station claims to be first and last service right now:

David
PACLipper and CApreppie like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by UAL250
It is a dump, the 8am and 5pm rushes are particularly bad. I actually feel the same way about DEN these days. Besides that very nice new part at the end of B, it is so crowded always and people are sitting and standing all over the place. During the main bank times, it is a disaster of an airport to transit these days IMO. Simple, yes. Less prone to big issues than EWR or ORD, but it is not enjoyable. I actually find DEN the least likely hub for me to willingly connect in these days.
I purposely avoid DEN since it offers me very little from SFO in terms of extra lifetime miles and might as well fly nonstop if I can if it just adds time and no miles.

Wonder if the latest generation of the family of mice is still living in the United Clubs (RCCs).
SPN Lifer and UAL250 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I purposely avoid DEN since it offers me very little from SFO in terms of extra lifetime miles and might as well fly nonstop if I can if it just adds time and no miles.

Wonder if the latest generation of the family of mice is still living in the United Clubs (RCCs).
Yeah, for you there is little need. I guess if either one of us find ourselves needing to be in Hays, Kansas or Williston, North Dakota we will have no choice!
CApreppie likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As a DC Metro resident (in Montgomery County, MD), the Silver Line does nothing for me.
For me to use it, I have to take Red Line all the way to DC, then change at Metro Center. It will take double amount of time of taking car services. I understrand there is cost difference.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UAL250
After landing in the remote recesses of the new end of Concourse A the other day (IAD-DEN), I can only imagine if one had to traverse to the remote (new) end of Concourse B for a tight connection or vice versa.

I used to think other airports were a pain, now it seems it's DEN (home airport).
UAL250 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by drewguy
Well, MWAA and CBP presumably were thinking about the realistic future in designing the IAB. We all know that E/G/G/H aren't getting built until C/D, and good luck with that happening in 10 years. By the time more concourses are built the existing IAB will be in need of replacement . . . and couldn't handle the capacity of 8 concourses anyway.
This. The existing IAB can barely handle what B/C/D sends them now.
chrisny2 and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I took the blue and then silver from Alexandria to IAD the other day. Instead of an Uber taking 50 minutes door to door the Metro was closer to an hour and thirty minutes. On the other hand it was $6 vs $65 for the Uber. So basically it comes down to time vs money for me. Occasionally I get surge pricing for the route of over 100, in those cases I will take the metro.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
What an exciting time to be a UA flyer out of IAD!
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
What an exciting time to be a UA flyer out of IAD!
Potentially if you want to walk an extra mile or two.

David
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by mander
I took the blue and then silver from Alexandria to IAD the other day. Instead of an Uber taking 50 minutes door to door the Metro was closer to an hour and thirty minutes. On the other hand it was $6 vs $65 for the Uber. So basically it comes down to time vs money for me. Occasionally I get surge pricing for the route of over 100, in those cases I will take the metro.
Pre-Covid, if working downtown, say near Farragut West, I could imagine it being faster to take the silver line than take an Uber, because you could be stuck in a lot of traffic before you would reach 267. With h traffic patterns now, maybe not.
Doppy, mander and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As a DC Metro resident (in Montgomery County, MD), the Silver Line does nothing for me.
Well OK, that is nice and all, but I am sure that for most Reston residents the Red Line does nothing for them. So there.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
For me to use it, I have to take Red Line all the way to DC, then change at Metro Center. It will take double amount of time of taking car services. I understrand there is cost difference.
Maybe in 35 years time when the purple line is extended to Tyson's corner it will be slightly easier...?
Say Vandelay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.