Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Regardless of the poor condition of C/D at Dulles, airport people aren't stupid. They aren't going to build a regional jet facility at the last AeroTrain stop that will preclude them from building a proper permanent concourse there.
Could a new regional jet facility be the starting point for a new concourse?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Wasn't that the plan as of a couple of years ago?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Please replace the dour and dismal C and D concourses. They suck the joy right out of travel.
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mander
Bets on when the silver line will open to Dulles?
Was supposed to be this spring, latest announcement was that it's delayed to fall, which means perhaps in the winter.

Stupidest thing they did was make "phase 1" of the silver line stop a few miles short of the airport, rather than all the way to the airport - the place that would have been the most popular destination on the line
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
they should name them the G gates again!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
This sounds like just a rehash/reaannouncement of the new concourse that was announced I think mid-2021 (though pandemic time is a bit of a blur to me -- could have been late 2020)
drewguy and CLT like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
There is one good thing about the United A gates: easy to get to from the A/B international terminal where the TK and LH lounges are located and the AF lounge for those of us with Priority Pass. :-)
SPN Lifer, SS255 and Artpen100 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
This sounds like just a rehash/reaannouncement of the new concourse that was announced I think mid-2021 (though pandemic time is a bit of a blur to me -- could have been late 2020)
That was indeed the middle of 2021, as discussed here starting with this July 6, 2021 post. Here's a screengrab from an MWAA presentation that I shared in that thread at the time:
SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boy, I have not gone to the DC area for a few years and I can't believe the Silver Line is not done yet and they still have not started to do anything for the C/D replacement. $500-$800M for 14 gates. That is $35M-$57M per gate. I surely hope the design considers the rest of the concourse...

Are they just too busy doing DCA and not enough resources to work on IAD? These bureaucrats should really shape up. Forget about China, it seems even LAX/LGA move a lot faster...
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by username
Boy, I have not gone to the DC area for a few years and I can't believe the Silver Line is not done yet and they still have not started to do anything for the C/D replacement. $500-$800M for 14 gates. That is $35M-$57M per gate. I surely hope the design considers the rest of the concourse...

Are they just too busy doing DCA and not enough resources to work on IAD? These bureaucrats should really shape up. Forget about China, it seems even LAX/LGA move a lot faster...
From the blueprint 1 post above yours, it seems that this is in fact the start of the C/D replacement.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by boat stuck
From the blueprint 1 post above yours, it seems that this is in fact the start of the C/D replacement.
Uh, no. It does some work and building on where the future C/D site is intended. However, a) this new concourse needs to be built, b) the current A demolished and re-built and then c) demolish this "new" concourse and start all over for C/D.

David
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, no. It does some work and building on where the future C/D site is intended. However, a) this new concourse needs to be built, b) the current A demolished and re-built and then c) demolish this "new" concourse and start all over for C/D.

David
No, the C/D replacement will be built/expanded from this new concourse. They won't be starting over.

https://airlineweekly.com/2021/10/un...urse-upgrades/

United Airlines in Talks With Dulles Airport to Make Overdue Concourse Upgrades

Edward Russell
October 15, 2021

United Airlines and the operator of Washington Dulles International Airport are in talks over a potential multi-billion dollar upgrade that could see the airport’s widely derided Concourse C/D finally replaced.

The project, which Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) CEO Jack Potter told Airline Weekly is in a “conceptual” phase, would replace the 46-gate C/D facility with a modern structure in phases.

“As proud as we are of Dulles, it was never designed for what it’s doing today,” United CEO Scott Kirby told Airline Weekly earlier in October. The C/D facility was built as two temporary concourses in the mid-1980s and connected near the end of that decade after United established a hub at Dulles. Various crises, including the 1990-91 recession, 9/11 and the Great Recession, limited both the airline and the airport’s ability to replace the concourses.

The works would build on the proposal for a new roughly 535,000-sq.-ft concourse south of the existing Concourse C designed to replace a regional aircraft facility on Concourse A. Virginia environmental authorities signed off on the regional gates replacement in July.
SPN Lifer and quikj like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1k
Originally Posted by boat stuck
No, the C/D replacement will be built/expanded from this new concourse. They won't be starting over.

https://airlineweekly.com/2021/10/un...urse-upgrades/
that might happen by 2030?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Porch
that might happen by 2030?
I admire your optimism!
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, UA_Flyer and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
There is one good thing about the United A gates: easy to get to from the A/B international terminal where the TK and LH lounges are located and the AF lounge for those of us with Priority Pass. :-)
Though if these are atop the C Aerotrain stop it will be much easier - jump on at B, take 3 stops, a couple escalators, and you're right at your (A?, C+?) gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.