Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans to rebuild the UA concourse (C and D gates & UX terminal) at IAD / Dulles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
So does this mean Dulles is safe from dehubbing till 2024? And also means no new terminal till then?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The best thing that is omitted in the news release is the access of TK lounge for *G members while transiting at IAD. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-lounge.html
Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The best thing that is omitted in the news release is the access of TK lounge for *G members while transiting at IAD. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-lounge.html
Cheers.
Who hopefully won't have their liquor license expire
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Gate environment. Love it. Trailer park?
Gate area podiums etc like what they have at BOS, LAX & SFO boarding area E.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by smxflyer
So does this mean Dulles is safe from dehubbing till 2024? And also means no new terminal till then?
UA is never going to spring for a proper new concourse at IAD. Might as well face facts that the C/D dungeon is never going away.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I read this as:

"UA unable to get MWAA to provide the same $$$ that SFO / EWR / LAX airport authorities provided for expansion / renovation so status quo will remain until 2024 / next renegotiation"
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
UA signed a long term lease, and an agreement with the state of Ohio as well.

jus' saying.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
UA signed a long term lease, and an agreement with the state of Ohio as well.

jus' saying.
Yup. A recent one not that long ago (March of this year).

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_gate_o.html

United officials met with members of Cleveland City Council on Monday to go over two new lease agreements between the city and the airline, which extend United's commitments at the airport through 2029.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
congrats to the most dismal major airport passenger environment in the USA!

Last edited by Pat89339; Sep 30, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: TOS 16 - profanity
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The UA concourses at IAD feel like a bunch of FEMA trailers stitched together. I could deal with function over form if it was at least an efficient people mover, which it is not. The UA Clubs are atrocious spaces. Overall bad bad bad.

SL
zeer0 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Good news. The hate here on IAD is unfounded IMO. Yup, the clubs need a refresh (a lot in the system do), and the gate seating needs power and an upgrade and no one can disagree that the A gates 3rd world bus terminal is awful and the stupidity of the train to nowhere can't be underestimated. But there are a lot of airports with awful regional flight gates (EWR, HOU, DEN, which is miserable). C/D have much better food and shopping after the latest refresh and better than a lot of airports, UA focused or not (could not find any decent food in DFW last week without traveling the entire length of the airport to the international area and don't get me started on DEN or LAX for UA), all the restrooms are in great shape. And the flights are mostly on time, no taxi delays,not a lot of weather or ATC issues. Is it a soaring palace of air travel celebrating the majesty of flight? Nah, but it mostly works. I fly in and out of there 100 times a year so I am more happy giving it a solid.

Living in the area I do have to agree with halls120 that we will not get a new concourse in the near future, especially now that they are going to spend more money on DCA, which is really only convenient for members of Congress and the pompous millenials in Arlington and Capitol Hill
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Nice post Billygreg.

Would MUCH rather use IAD over EWR...no doubt.

I don't like the gate areas, and the clubs need the refresh badly, but function over form means IAD wins in a lot of categories.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Billygreg
and the pompous millenials in Arlington and Capitol Hill
That's not very nice. Once the Metro opens at IAD, should make things easier for folks to fly out of there. Plus, those pompous Milennials in Arlington and Capitol Hill will start to move out to the burbs once they have kids.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Billygreg
Good news. The hate here on IAD is unfounded IMO. Yup, the clubs need a refresh (a lot in the system do), and the gate seating needs power and an upgrade and no one can disagree that the A gates 3rd world bus terminal is awful and the stupidity of the train to nowhere can't be underestimated. But there are a lot of airports with awful regional flight gates (EWR, HOU, DEN, which is miserable). C/D have much better food and shopping after the latest refresh and better than a lot of airports, UA focused or not (could not find any decent food in DFW last week without traveling the entire length of the airport to the international area and don't get me started on DEN or LAX for UA), all the restrooms are in great shape. And the flights are mostly on time, no taxi delays,not a lot of weather or ATC issues. Is it a soaring palace of air travel celebrating the majesty of flight? Nah, but it mostly works. I fly in and out of there 100 times a year so I am more happy giving it a solid.

Living in the area I do have to agree with halls120 that we will not get a new concourse in the near future, especially now that they are going to spend more money on DCA, which is really only convenient for members of Congress and the pompous millenials in Arlington and Capitol Hill
I think the only thing that bugs me about UA at IAD is that they HAVE the potential to build a better concourse but probably won't. Concourse B is great and anyone who has used it, then going over to C/D its just depressing. C/D is functional, but does little to evoke any sort of unique airport environment especially as a gateway airport for the nation's capital.

That being said, the gate area refresh should provide something; The layout of C/D reminds me of ATL in that there isn't enough natural light and it makes some of the concourses seem really smaller and enclosed. I'd venture to say that if they could do something to make the concourse seem less dark (skylights would be one thing...the hallway between C/D really seems to be optimal in my mind because there are lots of windows) then it might make the facility feel more permanent.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I think some positive news and love for IAD. If they were really gonna dump IAD as a hub they'd do it now.

The upgrades to Dulles will occur once the Silver Line is complete and MWAA has debt service capacity (plus gives them a number of years to hand out speeding tickets on the Greenway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.