Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR - EZE ending.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Sad to see this route go. Just as sad to see EWR-IST go as well. I flew both within the past 12 months and considered both fantastic tourist destinations. Two of my favourite cities to visit...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
In this case, I wonder if the problem is that EWR is in New Jersey? Where is the Argentine community in the New York metropolitan area?

On the business side, what are the industries that would support business travel to EZE? I know financial services did a lot of travel to there. What else?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lensman
In this case, I wonder if the problem is that EWR is in New Jersey? Where is the Argentine community in the New York metropolitan area?

On the business side, what are the industries that would support business travel to EZE? I know financial services did a lot of travel to there. What else?
From Houston, oil and gas operators and the associated service suppliers. From NYC area? Not many finance people want to do anything w/ Argentina. Diplomatic etc travel can jus connect in Atlanta or Miami, rather than backtrack to EWR. The route made more sense out of IAD, but I guess that didn't work either.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
From Houston, oil and gas operators and the associated service suppliers. From NYC area? Not many finance people want to do anything w/ Argentina. Diplomatic etc travel can jus connect in Atlanta or Miami, rather than backtrack to EWR. The route made more sense out of IAD, but I guess that didn't work either.
Well, UA abandoned JFK/EZE years ago. AA owns that game. UA at least had a niche @ IAD, and quit the route. This route was probably doomed for failure from day 1.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:04 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Bummer, I really liked IAD-EZE before they discontinued that in favor of EWR-EZE.

At least there's still PTY.
Doubt we see any of the cut IAD routes reinstated
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:30 am

Interesting ... that explains why I couldn't see the EWR-EZE flights as well as why the IAH-EZE flights started filling up fast.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Now pax can get to EZE by connecting thru *sigh* GRU, at least until JJ leaves *A.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Or AC via YYZ and SCL.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:25 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by TA
side question, but does Santiago Chile just never have enough market to make it on UA's radar?

It was beyond radar. UA flew it in the 90's. Closed it up. I think they even had an aircraft named "Spirit of Santiago" or something like that at one time, although I can't find any reference to it on the net.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...chile-one-stop

It was discontinued Jan 7, 2003, so it was a station for a little over a decade (late 1992, till early 2003.)

Last edited by fastair; Jul 14, 2013 at 1:46 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Originally Posted by fastair
It was beyond radar. UA flew it in the 90's. Closed it up. I think they even had an aircraft named "Spirit of Santiago" or something like that at one time, although I can't find any reference to it on the net.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...chile-one-stop

It was discontinued Jan 7, 2003, so it was a station for a little over a decade (late 1992, till early 2003.)
My memory's foggy on what exactly it was but UA did something that irked the Chilean government. Did they fly with a intra-SA connection or something?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lensman
I doubt this was a significant factor.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
side question, but does Santiago Chile just never have enough market to make it on UA's radar?
Used to be. Once upon a time, there was even a F/A base there, believe it or not. That was in the mid-late 1990s until . . . I forget when they closed it. It was mostly SCL-MIA but they briefly tried (or announced - not even sure it ever actually got off the ground) SCL-LIM (-MIA?).
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
It doesn't help that the EWR-EZE flight had a reputation for unreliability. My last company's corporate TA (Amex) had us booking away because of it, and they can't be the only one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...other-day.html

You can't fly a business route like this.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Or AC via YYZ and SCL.
be careful AC low fares earn limited miles. 50% and 25%
Old Jul 14, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Oneworld dominates South America due to AA/LA/IB....and JJ soon to join. Star Alliance (nor Skyteam) can not come close to matching the OW presence. UA has a competitive route structure to Mexico and Central America from the US. South America? Forgetaboutit.
I am surprised to see so little mention of COPA here. COPA has 2 daily flights to EZE and 4 to SCL. I appears that is unchanged at least through December. I understand there is a segment of the market that wants real BF service and a single long flight from North America, but for most, COPA is a reasonable option. FWIW - I checked availability for those flights next week, and they are almost sold out. First was pretty much completely full.

That said, UA itself certainly seems to have little interest in SA. I fly from Colombia. They had 752's on the BOG-IAH and BOG-EWR flights for a short time, but now have gone back to 737's and 738's. Prices are 2X the competition. I am booking my late July/early August travel right now, and every option gives me much better pricing on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.