Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA (BR) award experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by benjahman
I've been monitoring availability for a BR J flight from JFK-TPE. Availability opened up last night as of 10pm according to ExpertFlyer. UA website showing availability, however, once I get to payment page, it errors out and I am unable to book the ticket. Any suggestions?

I've called UA and per phone agents, they do not see any availability. Any thoughts? Do we think a seat(s) will open up and be able to be booked?
Have you tried looking your flight up using the ANA award search site? I have found that if it shows up on ANA it is eventually bookable. If not it is usually a phantom award listing.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
do any other *A programs show the available seat? You can call UA again and see if they are willing to do a long sell.
Originally Posted by cheltzel
Have you tried looking your flight up using the ANA award search site? I have found that if it shows up on ANA it is eventually bookable. If not it is usually a phantom award listing.
Looked on Lifemiles and ANA and it does not show up either, so I'm guessing it's a Phantom Award, which is insanely frustrating, especially since it's been up for 5 days. I'm wondering what the latency is for UA posting availability and BR actually releasing it to them. I'm hoping they have some understanding that it will be released shortly. If not, well, sorry brother-in-law, you're in PE for this trip, will sneak you a canape.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I can't recommend EVA Air to TPE/South Asia enough... great service compared to United's offerings.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by supergabe
I can't recommend EVA Air to TPE/South Asia enough... great service compared to United's offerings.
My first Royal Laurel flight came within about 45 days of a UA GF flight. IMO the RL seat, service, food&beverage were all superior to UA GF.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:54 pm

Looked on Lifemiles and ANA and it does not show up either, so I'm guessing it's a Phantom Award, which is insanely frustrating, especially since it's been up for 5 days. I'm wondering what the latency is for UA posting availability and BR actually releasing it to them. I'm hoping they have some understanding that it will be released shortly. If not, well, sorry brother-in-law, you're in PE for this trip, will sneak you a canape.

Thought I'd report back. Searched LifeMiles availability at about 1:00pm EST, which was just after T-48 from departure. Availability opened up after weeks of showing nothing. Went to UA website and award availability was showing, as it has been for 10 days now, selected BR29, went to cart and was actually able to purchase it! ^^
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:12 pm

Thought I'd report back. Searched LifeMiles availability at about 1:00pm EST, which was just after T-48 from departure. Availability opened up after weeks of showing nothing. Went to UA website and award availability was showing, as it has been for 10 days now, selected BR29, went to cart and was actually able to purchase it! ^^
I'm glad it worked out for you. Enjoy!!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:06 pm

Anyone experiencing phantom award space on Eva using United miles? The two routes I was looking for in December (LAX-TPE and YYZ-TPE) both show availability, but when I try to book online, it gives me an error. I called in but agent couldn't help either. What's a good way to verify actual availability? thanks.

Last edited by hamburglar; Feb 3, 2020 at 5:08 pm Reason: dates
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Anyone experiencing phantom award space on Eva using United miles? The two routes I was looking for in December (LAX-TPE and YYZ-TPE) both show availability, but when I try to book online, it gives me an error. I called in but agent couldn't help either. What's a good way to verify actual availability? thanks.
If you get an error and the agent is unable to book, that is pretty much game end.

Not that it will change anything, you can check availability via HN/ANA or AC award booking engines. While they also can have phantom inventory, if one of them is showing no inventory, that further supports the phantom situation.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am exactly in the same situation re a TPE-LAX leg, .bomb shows I3, but keeps getting error, res agent shows same inventory, but systems blocks ticketing.
Been going on for 3 days now.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
I am exactly in the same situation re a TPE-LAX leg, .bomb shows I3, but keeps getting error, res agent shows same inventory, but systems blocks ticketing.
Been going on for 3 days now.
Does ExpertFlyer show an accurate count of inventory when looking at a nonstop or is that also subject to phantom availability?

Edit: At least the accurate yes/no response when looking, as they don't provide exact numbers.

Last edited by lowfareair; Feb 4, 2020 at 10:06 am
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:57 am

FWIW, Expert Flyer does show availability in my case.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have lost track of how ExpertFlyer gets this award inventory information but for some *A carriers the information is for the flight operator's program members and does not reflect partner program availability. At one time, EF got *A award data from NH/ANA, but NH/ANA has had phantom data and less reliable in recent years..

So EF data has to be used to knowing where it is accessed from.

But in the end, what the other sources show do not matter, if not bookable by you or the agent.
This could be stale information or it could be a precursor to future availability. All you can do is try again later.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2020 at 12:02 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same here, EVA on EF for shows "Yes" for the same dates/flights UA shows, but does not want to book.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you get an error and the agent is unable to book, that is pretty much game end.

Not that it will change anything, you can check availability via HN/ANA or AC award booking engines. While they also can have phantom inventory, if one of them is showing no inventory, that further supports the phantom situation.
i was trying to book a hkt-yeg award last week website wouldn’t work neither would phone agent

tried again today and it booked online with no issue and tickets issued normally a minute later.

2 Eva segments bkk-tpe and tpe-yvr so don’t give up yet !!
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:45 pm

How long does a United MileagePlus award purchase take to show up on partner website?

I used milage to get 2 tickets to Hong Kong on April 11th on EVA how long should it take to show up in EVAs system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.