Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

June 25th - the last day for the tulip logo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

June 25th - the last day for the tulip logo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Again, there is no CO signage at IAH, unless they've missed a baggage cart. Everything from the airport signage to the hangars to the catering trucks has been changed to reflect the new branding. Even the employee shuttles and parking lot are rebranded.

Other hubs like SFO are stop covered in the tulip. Does it bother me? No.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 21, 2013 at 1:53 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Pre-merger United's logo is too different from the current one, whereas pre-merger Continental logo has elements that were retained in the post-merger logo. Therefore, new United can "tolerate" the old logo since it isn't much different from the final one. Whereas both the wordmark and logo from pre-merger United are different.

Or, alternate theory, they thought this wordmark would stick, and they scheduled the hangar painting for later in the integration process.

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload...d-brandnew.jpg
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
But they did end up going with a different font for United Airlines than the one in that image.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by walkerci
The last time I flew into MCO, the hangers still had Continental proudly displayed.
I think there is still one at HNL too, btwn the Main old runway and the Reef runway
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Sulley
Again, there is no CO signage at IAH, unless they've missed a baggage cart. Everything from the airport signage to the hangars to the catering trucks has been changed to reflect the new branding. Even the employee shuttles and parking lot are rebranded.

Other hubs like SFO are stop covered in the tulip. Does it bother me? No.
Not CO-issued signage, but rather IAH Airport-posted signage, but I did see a small sign for the "Presidents Club" with corresponding Braille in April. :P All airline-issued signage, and all other airport wayfinding signage, read "United Club". Wonder how long it will last.

It is only natural that CO stuff that at least has the current UA Globe logo might stick around a little longer than UA Tulip logos. Heck, I've seen a disproportionate number of ExpressJet 145s with Continental Express titles around lately for some reason!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Still a lot of baggage carts around with the tulip logo, saw a few in PHL lately. I'm pretty sure most regional airports that have a few flights a day aren't racing to repaint either.

Hey, at least the hisotry of the old UA got recognition in the design of the new United Club in Chicago. ^
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Until such time they rebrand it, I'll enjoy seeing the United logo with Tulip on the JFK T7 building every time I fly out of there.

And the Air Canada MLL in LGA still uses the Tulip on their FIDS when showing the UA codeshare number.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Until such time they rebrand it, I'll enjoy seeing the United logo with Tulip on the JFK T7 building every time I fly out of there.

And the Air Canada MLL in LGA still uses the Tulip on their FIDS when showing the UA codeshare number.
Last time I was at LGA (a little over a year or so) - there was a sign pointing to the UC that said 'TWA Ambassador's Club' ...

So, yeah, given that signage for a dozen-year-defunct airline still exists, what do you think the impetus is to replace half-right signs (either logo or name) for a current airline?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I think there is still one at HNL too, btwn the Main old runway and the Reef runway
It was there 2 weeks ago.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
But they did end up going with a different font for United Airlines than the one in that image.
Right, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Thus the emoticon.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by bsb21
Still a lot of baggage carts around with the tulip logo, saw a few in PHL lately.
Ground equipment is not included in this new shift. As I mentioned, it's uniforms and signage. And yes, I am sure some places will take longer to convert, it appears.

But ground equipment is often the last to change, just happens when it's needed.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Saw this today on the ramp at EWR. Phone agent was also great about moving me from LGA to EWR outbound when the incoming flight went MX. Now there's some changes I like!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:54 pm

I was in GRU this afternoon taking a bus to my JJ flight and saw 4 UA birds. One of them had the old livery. It made me smile.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Sad day today as I took the AirTrain to JFK and realized they finally changed the United logo outside on the top left side of T7. A cast with the lovely ladies in the JFK UC informed me it just happened. Sad, too. Had hoped for a split second they had forgotten about that lovely Tulip outside.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Sad day today as I took the AirTrain to JFK and realized they finally changed the United logo outside on the top left side of T7. A cast with the lovely ladies in the JFK UC informed me it just happened. Sad, too. Had hoped for a split second they had forgotten about that lovely Tulip outside.

They probably did for a while. Knowing how they work, they probably took a list of airports from an old CO spreadsheet, and JFK wasn't on there, so it went under the radar for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.