Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Do You Expect Your UA Revenue Will Change for 2014 Considering PQDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How Will Your UA Revenue Be Affected By PQDs?
$0 - I do not see PQDs specifically affecting my UA revenue spend.
47.59%
I will spend between $0 - $3,000 *less* than I would have previously.
7.23%
I will spend between $3,001 - $6,000 *less* than I would have previously.
12.65%
I will spend *less* than $6,001+ than I would have previously.
7.83%
I will spend between $0 - $3,000 *more* than I would have previously.
5.42%
I will spend between $3,001 - $6,000 *more* than I would have previously.
0.60%
I will spend *more* than $6,001+ than I would have previously.
0.60%
No change in revenue to UA *but* I will plan to spend at least $25k on my UA Chase credit card
3.61%
$$$'s are now tied to status? Time to buy me a whole lotta *cheap* tickets to hit me them goals!
3.61%
I'm a business traveler who flies on UA, codeshares, & JV partners - no clue what my spend is.
10.84%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

How Do You Expect Your UA Revenue Will Change for 2014 Considering PQDs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by HCA
c. Time to stop MR and and leave UA's no IFE 747 Y.
I hear you... and even the J and F products to Australia are not competitive with QF's at all.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:37 am

No impact on my revenue due to PQD. With the gutting of Silver & Gold benefits, I already made the decision to stop trying to fly UAL. Now I just pick the most convenient or the cheapest. I'd say UA has lost ~$5K from me this year with flights that I might have booked with them
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd probably be a $5K drop - assuming I can hit 100K UA miles at 10CPM (shouldn't be a problem, I'm at 15CPM for this year), I'll happily put any overflow (*A int'l J tix likely) on non-016 tix.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It does not impact me as much as I fly because I have no choice that I have to fly for work. If I have a choice, I'd like to cut down my travel, but work is work......
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by fly747first
I almost feel like Kate Winslet in Titanic as she says: "Come back, Jack, come back!" because I used to be UA's biggest fan, but I have decided that the airline I loved will never come back and I have to move on. Within the last 18 months, I have gotten food poisoning twice (and I actually suspect a third) from UA meals, I have encountered the worst customer service (e.g., united.bomb full of glitches forcing me to call reservations to change my flights and then deal with highly incompetent agents who tell me that SFO - EWR - MIA is not a valid routing), terrible long-haul J seats, and the list goes on...
Our current story is also very Titanic. Ruth (played by Kate Winslet) left England as part of the bourgeois (1K) and arrived America as a no-body (Kayaker)

She boarded what she called the "slave ship" (ghetto birds) and "nowhere to escape" (hub captive)

Originally Posted by fly747first
I hear you... and even the J and F products to Australia are not competitive with QF's at all.
And yet SYD is one of the hardest routes to get award seats (O/I) and any type of upgrade (ON/R)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 21, 2013 at 10:16 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 787fan
And yet SYD is one of the hardest routes to get award seats (O/I) and any type of upgrade (ON/R)
That's not unique to UA. Scoring an award J and F seat on QF or even in DL BE on this same route is even harder. There just isn't a lot of capacity and airlines know that most of the time they will fill their planes with premium revenue pax, thereby eliminating the need to release award and upgrade inventory.

However, UA does open up F seats at the last minute when it is clear that no sucker is gonna pay $17K - $20K for seats that are already behind the competition and often come with surly service on this route... alas, if only the LHR-based cabin crews could work these flights.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
PQD will not specifically affect my purchases -- if UA has a competitive fare to a place I need to go at a time I need to go, I will probably still book it preferentially. However I will be much more attune to what is available from the competition and book more on the basis of schedule than I do now. Currently I take inconvenient flights to get on UA sometimes. That won't happen anymore. Some discretionary travel will also be reduced or eliminated, as will roundabout routings that accumulate more PQM than a direct trip.

The net result of this will probably be a small reduction in spend on UA. Since I have only spent about $8000 this year, I guess the reduction will be less than $3000 next year, but I really can't predict.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
c. I will spend between $3,001 - $6,000 *less* than I would have previously.
Same here. For the last 13 years, I have gone out of my way to fly United whenever possible in order to meet mileage status levels. Given the addition of spend levels and the apparent decision to not count PQM purchases as qualifying PQDs, I am now in a position that almost forces me away from United. I travel a lot on business, but it is cyclical and on employer mandated cheap tickets. Over past two years, I have been able to maintain 1K in the "good" years by travel alone, but in a down year, by purchasing PQMs.

Now, starting 1/1/14, I have to be able to guess as to how much travel is on the horizon. If I don't think 100000 BIS (or qualifying fare) miles is doable, there is simply little point trying to put as many flights on United as I can. I'll be better off booking 50000 on UA, and rest on AA or DL.

for example, this year I've alread crossed over 50k miles. Had you asked me if i thought on 1/1/13 that i would reach this point before the end of June, I would have said no. But because i knew i had the option of purchasing PQMs, i have optimized my travel on UA. Next year? No way.

A sad state of affairs, but it is what it is.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: United 1K (3MM) and RCC, elite levels for most hotel and car programs
One of the fortunate (?) few ....

I have the luxury of just crossing the 3MM line on United -- one heck of a lot of BIS time. For me, all indications are that my 1K for life status innoculates me from the complexities of the new revenue matrix. But let me tell you, it does add some complexity and concern to the entire process. I probably would requalify even under the new scheme, but it would likely be close because I do catch some good fares on BWI to the West Coast and on leisure trips IAD to Florida. The real issue is that United and all of the US legacy carriers are following a model of profitability by cutting capacity and volume -- making money only from full airplanes, and harming the experiences of its customers and the ability of its partners, like hotels and other businesses at destinations, to attract guests when folks find that the cost of flying to these destinations is so high.

And I do worry about whether United will at some point decide that those like me who are actually looking forward to reaching a point in our careers where we don't need to spend as much time on the road will find our "lifetime" UC and 1K status voided.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
I've spent a lot on buy ups this year but next year, goodbye buy ups, heck, likely goodbye UA, will just stick to DL, despite their crappy award program they provide a much better in-air product.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by recreationguru
I have the luxury of just crossing the 3MM line on United -- one heck of a lot of BIS time. For me, all indications are that my 1K for life status innoculates me from the complexities of the new revenue matrix.

And I do worry about whether United will at some point decide that those like me who are actually looking forward to reaching a point in our careers where we don't need to spend as much time on the road will find our "lifetime" UC and 1K status voided.

I as a Lifetime Gold am also "innoculated" from the change, but the second part of your post is what I have been thinking about now. I have been with CO since 94, 150-200k per year then the job changed and no more travel since 2012. People like me must be on the radar at UA as I see these new changes announced.

In fact when I called them yesterday the CSR insisted I wasn't even a member, let alone *g and Gold for life (well until it gets axed).

CLEHillBilly

ETA: Apologies for going off topic, my spend would be "A". Suggestion: add Gold/1k/GS for life and it does not effect me, a poll answer, that makes a difference I think.

Last edited by CLEHillbilly; Jun 21, 2013 at 5:26 pm Reason: See above
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
You should ask me how much I will now spend on AA which is all my $$, and 0 on UA. Do you really think this is the end of Smiesk' downgrading of Elite ? It just continues.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
You should ask me how much I will now spend on AA which is all my $$, and 0 on UA. Do you really think this is the end of Smiesk' downgrading of Elite ? It just continues.
I'm doing the same... moving on with AA and not looking back.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HCA
c. Time to stop MR and and leave UA's no IFE 747 Y.
Plus the A319/A320s which don't even have wifi.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I'll see if another *A can work or AA or CX. So c or d.

c. I will spend between $3,001 - $6,000 *less* than I would have previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.