Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Here's an additional data point related to the 1K kit when residing abroad - when United tried to send me the 2019 kit via normal post, it got stuck in customs and the Swedish post office wanted me to pay taxes and administrative fees to release the package. I refused and it took another 4 months of constant communication with MileagePlus before I was able to get the kit. I finally received it in mid-June; this time they sent it via FedEx. It's never happened before, but 2019 was an unlucky year.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Lore
Here's an additional data point related to the 1K kit when residing abroad - when United tried to send me the 2019 kit via normal post, it got stuck in customs and the Swedish post office wanted me to pay taxes and administrative fees to release the package. I refused and it took another 4 months of constant communication with MileagePlus before I was able to get the kit. I finally received it in mid-June; this time they sent it via FedEx. It's never happened before, but 2019 was an unlucky year.
That’s weird. How much tax did Tull/Customs ask be paid?

I know a few people who had 1k kits mailed to Sweden over the years and I’ve never heard any of them being asked to pay tax on any 1k kits. I also know of things getting lost “in the mail” (if they ever got sent out) or being held up by Tull and lost there despite no tax being due. But those haven’t been airline status kits.

When you refer to the Swedish post office, what exactly do you mean, PostNord?

Originally Posted by mjg59
While the policy states that the beneficiary of your companion status must live at the same address as you, that doesn't actually appear to be enforced.
Maybe some could read that as a spouse/SO being eligible for the status benefit without regard to address while non-SO/non-spouse individuals must share the same address as the LT member for benefit eligibility?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That’s weird. How much tax did Tull/Customs ask be paid?

I know a few people who had 1k kits mailed to Sweden over the years and I’ve never heard any of them being asked to pay tax on any 1k kits. I also know of things getting lost “in the mail” (if they ever got sent out) or being held up by Tull and lost there despite no tax being due. But those haven’t been airline status kits.

When you refer to the Swedish post office, what exactly do you mean, PostNord?
Yes, I mean Postnord. I've had my kits sent to me in Sweden over the past decade and they've never been held up before, but like I said, this was an unfortunate year. They asked for about $12 if I recall, most of which was the administrative fee. This is because United valued the coasters at $6.00.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, I mean Postnord. I've had my kits sent to me in Sweden over the past decade and they've never been held up before, but like I said, this was an unfortunate year. They asked for about $12 if I recall, most of which was the administrative fee. This is because United valued the coasters at $6.00.
United declared the coasters as being worth $6 .... ouch. And then Tull wanted taxes on something of such little value .... ouch.

I guess we should be glad that UA haven’t been declaring the UA elite status plastic cards as being valued at $1, as PostNord and Tull/Customs may still want its pound of flesh even if Tull/Customs wanted almost nothing for duty.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Mine has not been delivered yet... with supposedly two mailings, the last in April.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Mine has not been delivered yet... with supposedly two mailings, the last in April.
You should email them and ask for an escalation - that's what I had to do after repeated "attempts" to mail the items. I think they actually tried to send it 4 times total, but I only got notice of two (the one that was held up in Customs and the one I ultimately received).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by cfischer
can't be worse than my 0% rate ... and my address is in MA.
I laughed really hard after seeing this comment.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone ever have success getting things mailed to something that isn't their listed address? I live in Japan, but it is very hard to get things (particularly packages) to my home address and usually get things shipped to my office near Tokyo. Do you think I could contact United to get things (i.e. the Premier Kits) shipped there?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Anyone ever have success getting things mailed to something that isn't their listed address? I live in Japan, but it is very hard to get things (particularly packages) to my home address and usually get things shipped to my office near Tokyo. Do you think I could contact United to get things (i.e. the Premier Kits) shipped there?
A bit off topic for this thread, but will give answering this a shot anyway ...

I can't say specifically about Japan, but I was able to get my 1K kit delivered to my home address in mainland China last year (for 2019 flying) even though I get no snail mail ever delivered.

Since that time I moved to a different apartment and don't even have a key to the mailbox; need to figure out how to get things changed to my work address and a bit concerned as it was an issue getting my original address changed.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by garykung
Also - you won't get the yellow carry-on strap as MPSC won't send them overseas.
This is simply not true. I got one sent to me in Japan three years ago and replacement for a lost one sent early this year.

They’re sent separately from and later than the 1K kit and you may need to follow up. It’s conceivable there are places they won’t send them but they most certainly do send them overseas. And they mostly work so are worth getting.

Last edited by Kannai; Aug 16, 2019 at 7:22 am Reason: Spellinh
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kannai
This is simply not true.
I asked to be sent to Hong Kong twice. And still no.

So while this may not be true to you, it is to me.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Since you're based in HK, is there a reason why you fly with UA?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
Since you're based in HK, is there a reason why you fly with UA?
Ask me a serious question...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

I asked twice 1K membership card to be sent to Shanghai.

Still have not received even though mystatus.united.com says it was mailed.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:39 am

Also - you won't get the yellow carry-on strap as MPSC won't send them overseas.

To be fair the poster was replying to your statement that the yellow handle wraps won’t be sent overseas.

It might be more of a country / regional restriction or who knows maybe the policy has changed recently? I got mine in UK a few years ago ( still unused).
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.