Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by German Expat
Anybody had any luck getting the 4 United segments lifted? It is not for me, our 12 year old just made 30k miles and will go to 50k (thanks to discounted LX P fares this year). Didn't even think about it and he has no upcoming UA flights. We have a Swiss address on record.
4 segment minimum applies to all MP members worldwide. Absolutely zero chance of it being waived, unless you (well, your 12 yo) has the card that waives it. Definitely the (no longer offered) Presidential Platinum, and i think maybe the Club Card, but not 100% sure about that.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Definitely the (no longer offered) Presidential Platinum, and i think maybe the Club Card, but not 100% sure about that.
Waiver for four-segment minimum
If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification.
Xyzzy and German Expat like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frontenac551
...(hoped to get it in March, but due to a cancellation due to weather, ended up on non-UA flights and will only get my fourth later this month)....
When this happens, I believe you can still get UA to issue Original Routing Credit - credit you for the original UA flights.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by username
When this happens, I believe you can still get UA to issue Original Routing Credit - credit you for the original UA flights.
I didn't think of trying - good to know. I've got four UA flights booked in this month (already have three), so I should be good, but if all of them end up with re-routing onto non UA flights, I'll check about original routing credit.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: UA
  • Thanks for all the replies for the 4 segment minimum. Looks like he would need to be the primary card holder for a Mileage Plus Club Card, I don't think I want this for our 12 year old :-). Also a bit rich with the 450$ yearly fee because we don't need the club membership (not flying enough domestic US anymore and having lounge access otherwise) and authorized users seem not to work anyway. Well, I guess no luck this year and was more an exception anyway with more paid vacation travel (3 business class flights for him) this year.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: MP
Sorry, posted on the other thread, but it seems like this might be a better one. Do you lose access to TSA precheck if you use a foreign MP address?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by wanderingshi
Sorry, posted on the other thread, but it seems like this might be a better one. Do you lose access to TSA precheck if you use a foreign MP address?
​​​​​​​Nope. I can say this definitively because this is my situation.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TomA
Nope. I can say this definitively because this is my situation.
Same here. No effect whatsoever.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
MP address shouldn’t have an affect on getting pre-check.

Technically speaking, the only impact should be whether you are enrolled in either a trusted traveler program or pre-check, and then, whatever factors is used behind the scenes on a trip by trip basis to grant (or deny) it. The days of your FF membership getting you into pre-check are pretty much, if not completely over.

And just to further her on the foreign address, i did have a foreign address for a couple of years and never affected my pre-check status.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
I switched to my Bangkok condo address years ago and I have yet to find any drawback whatsoever.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: MP
Thanks everyone! Seems like there's no real drawback to using a foreign address.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:06 am
formerly 1984SW

The only drawback since I changed my account to my Thailand address is that starting a few months ago when I log into united.com, the bloody site changes my location to Thailand English and proceeds to quote all fares in Thai Baht. I now have to click on US English and wait for the page to refresh. Every. Single. Time.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
4 segment minimum applies to all MP members worldwide. Absolutely zero chance of it being waived, unless you (well, your 12 yo) has the card that waives it. Definitely the (no longer offered) Presidential Platinum, and i think maybe the Club Card, but not 100% sure about that.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

*sigh* Missed out on that Presidential Platinum card. That would have been a great deal to keep MM status easily every year after retiring from flying in the distant future ;-)
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by te36

*sigh* Missed out on that Presidential Platinum card. That would have been a great deal to keep MM status easily every year after retiring from flying in the distant future ;-)
PP Card went away eons ago when it comes to signing up.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by te36
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

If you have MM status, you can ignore all the qualifying requirements to have your base MM status level. It would only matter if you wanted to earn a higher status than your default MMer status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.