Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thank you for checking in at United.com...Uh, I didn't check in on United.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Won Kay

Just checked the .bomb for my flight tomorrow. I thought it odd when it said "You are already checked in for this flight." Hmmm...I didn't check in on line. That's weird.

I also received an email with links to print my boarding passes. Everything appears legit and my seat assignment is the same, etc.

I did receive an email earlier letting me know I was being moved to the U/G waitlist since it was within 24hrs of departure.

Has this happened to anyone else? The flight is international, BTW. MUC-IAD.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Auto-checkin on return? I'm guessing returnflight of round trip.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA G
Is this your return segment? .bomb select "automatically check me in for my return flight" when you do OLCI for your outbound segment.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
I hate the auto-checkin default, though not quite as bad as the counter agents who take over a the kiosk and skip through all the mileage buy-up screens and upgrade buy-ups. Especially that one time I swear I saw an offer for a buy-up to BF for $179 on a TALC from ZRH!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by pbearmedic
I hate the auto-checkin default, though not quite as bad as the counter agents who take over a the kiosk and skip through all the mileage buy-up screens and upgrade buy-ups. Especially that one time I swear I saw an offer for a buy-up to BF for $179 on a TALC from ZRH!
I never received such offer, or maybe I should say I am not entitled to such offer - so I always skip these steps regardless using online or kiosk to check in , or when I select auto checkin return flight if I am 100% sure that upgrade will not be happening...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Auto checkin. I find it strangely annoying, and I'm not sure why.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Auto checkin. I find it strangely annoying, and I'm not sure why.
I don't and can't trust it. Even against my better judgment, I let the system do an auto-checkin for my whole party of 6 where we had tickets all together for our return leg on two different flights. But rather than deal with trying to do an online checkin for 6 with 6 different MP identifiers (or what the current UA team calls "numbers"), I left the auto-checkin as checked. Bad move.

1st leg - MCO-CLE - the 3 kids get moved to the back of the plane in different rows. 2nd leg - CLE - LAX - a late flight with 10 in E+ and maybe 25 in Y. My youngest son of 8 is put into an exit row, my daughter is moved to a middle seat at the front of E+ into the only set of three seats which are sequentially occupied in E+, my father-in-law is put at the back of the plane and my middle son's seat doesn't move. No swaps or changes of planes. Just good old effective and completely untrustworthy auto-checkin.

So, no, it isn't un-ease or annoying - auto-checkin is simply bad and broken.

David
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by roadkit
Just checked the .bomb for my flight tomorrow. I thought it odd when it said "You are already checked in for this flight." Hmmm...I didn't check in on line. That's weird.
Happened to me this week SNA-DEN. It was return. But didn't checkin remotely on the outbound. Quick out Monday, return Tuesday, FWIW. Seat didn't change. Still weird as I always checkin at counter/kiosk.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its bad. Once a friend did auto check in, it sent a BP but never actually checked her in for the flight. Luckily we made it to the gate before check in cut off. Watch out to make sure SEQ number is on the BP
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
I use it all the time. Probably over 40 times without an issue. Any of the things mentioned above could happen if you do it manually too so not sure what the big deal is. If you don't like it then uncheck the boxes when checking in.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:31 pm

Would have a colleague, family member, or friend checked you in?

While I always prefer to check-in myself, I do check-ins for a number of my travelers (particularly those who are less skilled, inexperienced, or too important or scattered to do things for themselves.)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
One problem I have with auto-check-in is that it often complicates the SDC process. The UA mobile app has real issues doing SDC after check-in, and the UA mobile Web site (as well as the full site viewed on my Android device) have problems with SDC, too. I either have to research flights and call, or wait until I'm at my computer and can use the full site.

Since one cannot SDC until 24 hours out from departure, and auto-check-in occurs at 24 hours out, that's a problem.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Maybe it's just me, but I always use auto check-in and have never had a problem actually getting checked in or with SDC change with the Apple app, or via web on my iPad/laptop.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Won Kay
Thanks for the feedback -- and yes, it was the return leg of a R/T.

However, I did not use OLCI for the 1st leg.

Weird. Must be some glitch in the system.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by roadkit
Thanks for the feedback -- and yes, it was the return leg of a R/T.

However, I did not use OLCI for the 1st leg.

Weird. Must be some glitch in the system.
Did you use Mr. Chicken??

It's been awhile since I've used one to check-in but I seem to recall seeing something similar when using one in the past. If you don't uncheck the boxes on the kiosk you'll get auto checked-in on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.