Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade question (Chances of Waitlisted Upgrades Clearing for my Flights?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade question (Chances of Waitlisted Upgrades Clearing for my Flights?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
did you have another segment on the itinerary?

my guess is that the answer is "yes" and that one was "R0" when you booked, thereby "zeroing out" 641 due to married segment availability. or was the flight on its own zeroed out in R?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

my guess is that the answer is "yes" and that one was "R0" when you booked, thereby "zeroing out" 641 due to married segment availability. or was the flight on its own zeroed out in R?
As of right now, it's showing R=0 on its own.....OP appears to be safely sat in 1A! Very curious
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level

I'm not sure if this question was for me. I do have a final sgment but it is not on UA metal so has consistently shown as upgrade ineligible.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton

The flight was zero'd out on it's own, and when looked at on the advanced screen with the Mileage Plus Award Availability checked showed no upgrade available. Same as right now. Yet, I would bet money that if you booked and paid for the flight and waited for the confirmation, then went into your reservation and selected the Upgrade tab you would be able to upgrade the flight with miles and a co-payment. That is exactly what happened to me.

Could be a fluke that has already disappeared, or could be a fluke with this one flight and date. Who knows?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Smile Flight cancelled? Win!

I happened to wake up at an unnatural hour and check my email. Tripit Pro had sent an email saying my initial flight had been cancelled ruining the rest of my intinerary (UA got around to that about 3.5 hours later) I called UA for rebooking and was rerouted through DEN which had plenty of R. Yay!

I was 3rd on ORD with no R but list showed one seat open. Don't know if my good luck trickled down or not. Hope so!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Previously UA 1K, Delta Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Avis First, AA Gold
HNL-ORD overnight CPU chance for Plat?

On a Thursday night in April
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by oreozp
I find my CPUs anywhere are highly dependent upon fare class. I don't fly to HNL often, but I'd use similar techniques--how full is F? how full is the E+ cabin? I'd guess on HNL flights in general they are less elite-laden as a predominantly leisure market, but offset somewhat by the fact that for many people it's a special trip for one reason or another and thus there are more folks willing to upgrade with miles and/or pay for a ToD upgrade.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oreozp
4/3 Zero
4/10 less than 50/50
4/17 more than 50/50
4/24 less than one in three

Just guessing
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
IAD-BRU Upgrade Chances?

I'm booked on IAD-BRU (UA 950) for next Friday, I'm 1K in "M" class. Biz cabin has 9 unassigned seats but C is down to 4. F has 2 to book but only 1 unassigned seat. Thoughts on upgrade chances with GPU? Could bail to IAD-AMS which is at R=1 for now but would mean an extra connection within Europe.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I'm booked on IAD-BRU (UA 950) for next Friday, I'm 1K in "M" class. Biz cabin has 9 unassigned seats but C is down to 4. F has 2 to book but only 1 unassigned seat. Thoughts on upgrade chances with GPU? Could bail to IAD-AMS which is at R=1 for now but would mean an extra connection within Europe.
Get a confirmed seat if you have adequate connection time between AMS and BRU. You are playing russian roulette with a Friday flight to Europe. Even if it comes down to sniping it at T-24, you are still risking it.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Get a confirmed seat if you have adequate connection time between AMS and BRU. You are playing russian roulette with a Friday flight to Europe. Even if it comes down to sniping it at T-24, you are still risking it.
Thanks! Would have 1h40m at AMS and 50m at MUC. Have managed to avoid Y on all my UA TATL flights so why start now
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Isn't Amsterdam to Brussels by train less than 2 hours? And straight from Schiphol?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Isn't Amsterdam to Brussels by train less than 2 hours? And straight from Schiphol?
Need to connect somewhere else beyond BRU or MUC.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA - Silver, Hilton - Silver
Upgrade questions & stuff...

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions/concerns regarding my upcoming trip:

I'm flying FRA-SFO (UA902) on saturday August 30th. Since it's a long flight and have to drive 2hrs after I arrive, I requested an upgrade, using miles & $$$

The upgrade didn't clear yet, still waitlisted, no seats available in R at the moment.

How likely is it that this upgrade will clear eventually? Does it help that I have a tiny bit of status (silver)

If the upgrade doesn't clear, I have a big concern. My creditcard company notified me right after I requested the upgrade, that they won't be active in my country after June 30th, so I have to apply for a new creditcard. If the upgrade doesn't clear and United has to redeposit my $$$, is it going to be a problem since I will have a new credit card by then???

But when it all goes well, if the upgrade clears, will I have lounge-access in Frankfurt???

TIA!!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Leenco
I'm flying FRA-SFO (UA902) on saturday August 30th.
The upgrade didn't clear yet, still waitlisted, no seats available in R at the moment.

How likely is it that this upgrade will clear eventually? Does it help that I have a tiny bit of status (silver) ....
while not impossible, the chances are poor. Saturday return is a peak elite travel day and 1Ks have been known not to clear on this route. The fact the following Monday is Labor Day in the USA will be a factor.

....If the upgrade doesn't clear, I have a big concern. My creditcard company notified me right after I requested the upgrade, that they won't be active in my country after June 30th, so I have to apply for a new creditcard. If the upgrade doesn't clear and United has to redeposit my $$$, is it going to be a problem since I will have a new credit card by then??? ...
credit card companies deal this on a regular basis, it make require manual followup by you with the credit card company -- UA will have no role.

....But when it all goes well, if the upgrade clears, will I have lounge-access in Frankfurt??? .....
yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.