FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgrade question (Chances of Waitlisted Upgrades Clearing for my Flights?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1474786-upgrade-question-chances-waitlisted-upgrades-clearing-my-flights.html)

bkkml01 Jun 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Upgrade question (Chances of Waitlisted Upgrades Clearing for my Flights?)

I am traveling from BKK to SFO on UA838 this coming Sunday 06/16. I am booked in S class and can't apply a Global Premier Upgrade through NRT due to the low booking class. As I want to rest, I have requested a copay upgrade (30000 miles and USD 600).

Equally, I am returning from SFO on 06/22 to BKK in W and am wait listed for Global Premier Upgrade.

I was wondering if there is a chance for these upgrades to clear? Anyone on here with some insight to the system or similar experiences?

My status is United 1K

Many thanks for comments/opinions. I can't find any info on wait list status on the United website despite signing up for the expert features.

Many thanks

boss315 Jun 10, 2013 2:01 pm

always a crapshoot...try looking at the loads through the fare class designation on the UA website....that should give you an idea of how many, if any seats are available.

WineCountryUA Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bkkml01 (Post 20898192)
I am traveling from BKK to SFO on UA838 this coming Sunday 06/16. .....
I was wondering if there is a chance for these upgrades to clear?

see below but NRT-SFO does not look good and BKK-NRT on S fare may be tough on a Sunday

Originally Posted by bkkml01 (Post 20898192)
....I can't find any info on wait list status on the United website despite signing up for the expert features...

expert mode is for booking and seeing fare classes -- need to do a dummy booking to see fare classes

the flight is presently F3J6R0 -- Sunday from BKK is a popular flight and probably the toughest day of the week for that route
This is a direct flight which means both legs must clear or neither will until day of travel
BKK-NRT is J7R0
NRT-SFO is F9J6R0 BUT business is 100% BOOKED (seatmap shows some unassigned but Flight Status is saying FULL --- J purchases will bump someone into F) -- so upgrading looks tough

if you are willing to clear just one and not the other, call and ask for the flight to be split into two separate segments

You can not see the waitlist until OLCI has start and you will find it under Flight Status. You will not be able to normally see Flight Status until 2 days before but there are some tricks allowing earlier viewing (but the waitlist is still not available until OLCI)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...u-viewing.html

bkkml01 Jun 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Thank you WineCountryUA for the very helpful comments. Much appreciated.
Crossing fingers is in order, I suppose....

TexasRick Jun 11, 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 20898385)
see below but NRT-SFO does not look good and BKK-NRT on S fare may be tough on a Sunday

expert mode is for booking and seeing fare classes -- need to do a dummy booking to see fare classes

the flight is presently F3J6R0 -- Sunday from BKK is a popular flight and probably the toughest day of the week for that route
This is a direct flight which means both legs must clear or neither will until day of travel
BKK-NRT is J7R0
NRT-SFO is F9J6R0 BUT business is 100% BOOKED (seatmap shows some unassigned but Flight Status is saying FULL --- J purchases will bump someone into F) -- so upgrading looks tough

if you are willing to clear just one and not the other, call and ask for the flight to be split into two separate segments

You can not see the waitlist until OLCI has start and you will find it under Flight Status. You will not be able to normally see Flight Status until 2 days before but there are some tricks allowing earlier viewing (but the waitlist is still not available until OLCI)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...u-viewing.html

The direct flight part is not accurate, though that was my understanding as well. I am on flight 838 the following Sunday, 23 June, and requested the same upgrade. My NRT-SFO segment has already cleared, but BKK-NRT is still waitlisted. I upgraded from a higher bucket than S, if that makes any difference.

WineCountryUA Jun 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Welcome to FT!,TexasRick and thanks for the headups on a potential change for the good

Originally Posted by TexasRick (Post 20901946)
The direct flight part is not accurate, though that was my understanding as well. I am on flight 838 the following Sunday, 23 June, and requested the same upgrade. My NRT-SFO segment has already cleared, but BKK-NRT is still waitlisted. I upgraded from a higher bucket than S, if that makes any difference.

There had been hints this problem might be resolved at some point, hopefully your experience is an indication of a policy/procedure change.

bkkml01 Jun 12, 2013 7:35 am

I guess I will have to wait and see until the gate.
The BKK-NRT leg now shows 7 unbooked seats on the BKK-BRT leg and 5 on NRT-SOF leg, though looking at the booking classes does not give me much hope.....

Thanks again for advice

WineCountryUA Jun 12, 2013 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by bkkml01 (Post 20908707)
.... unbooked seats ....

unassigned is a better word

Originally Posted by bkkml01 (Post 20908707)
.... booking classes does not give me much ...

that's a better view of the real booking situation

But never give up hope, I have eventually cleared on many flights that zero'ed out for a few days prior to travel.

jacroweORD Jul 1, 2013 6:46 pm

Upgrade to GRU

anyone have any experience with this? have applied GPU and am waitlisted. R0 PN9 thoughts? looks like 24 seats open in C today flt later this month thanks!

Air Houston Jul 1, 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jacroweORD (Post 21024241)
anyone have any experience with this? have applied GPU and am waitlisted. R0 PN9 thoughts? looks like 24 seats open in C today flt later this month thanks!

What day of the week? That makes a big difference.

Lots of Business passengers buy in the last few weeks before departure. If there are 24 open seats in BF a week out you are a shoe in.

jacroweORD Jul 1, 2013 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 21024385)
What day of the week? That makes a big difference.

Lots of Business passengers buy in the last few weeks before departure. If there are 24 open seats in BF a week out you are a shoe in.

leaving on mon, home on fri woulda figure there woulda been R when i booked, but notta. here is hopin! too long a flt to be in back

jacroweORD Jul 1, 2013 7:43 pm

for the record, there is no R avl same days from Newark, DC, Chicago or Houston...

Kacee Jul 2, 2013 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jacroweORD (Post 21024430)
leaving on mon, home on fri woulda figure there woulda been R when i booked, but notta. here is hopin! too long a flt to be in back

Set an Expert Flyer alert in case R opens up and the waitlist does not automatically process.

In2ishn Mar 11, 2014 1:18 am

BF upgrade (miles) still not confirmed

I requested an upgrade to BF using miles.The first segment to ORD cleared immediately. The TPAC segment still has not. The flights are this Friday and the seat map shows three open seats. In the past my requests have always cleared by now. I know, I've been lucky.

If my request hasn't cleared by the OLCI should I wait until I get to the airport?

I am UA Plat and the miles have already been deducted.

Thanks for any insight!

fly747first Mar 11, 2014 3:27 am

Originally Posted by In2ishn (Post 22501613)
I requested an upgrade to BF using miles.The first segment to ORD cleared immediately. The TPAC segment still has not. The flights are this Friday and the seat map shows three open seats. In the past my requests have always cleared by now. I know, I've been lucky.

If my request hasn't cleared by the OLCI should I wait until I get to the airport?

I am UA Plat and the miles have already been deducted.

Thanks for any insight!

Most likely, the revenue analyst assigned to your flight thinks he(s) can actually sell those last seats and hence why the upgrade inventory is zero. However, seat maps are not true indications of actual availability.