Wiki Posts
Search

Change fee for change of fare class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K, DL MM Hilton Diamond
Change fee for change of fare class?

Wanted to use Global Premier Upgrades for HNL - BKK and realized that I wasn't booked in "w" class.
I called the 1K desk and they said...no problem changing you from K to W and the gave me the price difference, which wasn't a problem.....then she said " oh, by the way, there is a $250 change fee "

I am flying on the same planes, same dates everything, I just paid more and now they want another $250 on top.

I did question it and I got stone walled.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal practice or should I try again?

Many Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tony59329
.... Can anyone tell me if this is normal practice or should I try again? ....
unfortunately it is -- but occasionally some have gotten it waived (but that is not normal).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG gold, PC Plat, Delta GM, Amex Plat
It is a very stupid policy, but the rep was following the rules. For whatever reason, the phone reps try to hit you with the change fee. I have almost always had them wave it when I tell them that it if they charge me for giving them more money, I simply won't do it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Same experience - the few times my secretary has booked me in a non-upgradable fare, I have always been always been able to have the change fee waived. Always, but usually after a brief discussion. Keep trying.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Try calling again. Occasionaly they'll allow you to upfare without paying the change fee. Not that uncommon (but against the rules).
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fee has risen to $300 going forward.

You will have better luck if you do this immediately (within 24 hours) of booking because you could cancel penalty free and rebook, so it's less work for UA to simply upfare and waive the change fee.

Anecdotally, UA has gotten much tougher on its agents about waiving fees and further about noting the record when it's asked for and denied. This makes the HUCB (hang up, call back) routine harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.