Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All miles did not credit Air Canada ticket operated by South African

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.

I booked a flight DCA-YYZ-LHR-JNB for the beginning of t from Air Canada site. So, I called United MP customer service and red the fare codes and operating carriers. LHR-JNB segment was operated by South African Airways, with AC flight number and fare code K. My ticket clearly indicated a K fare on all segments. United credited only 50% of LHR-JNB segments, stating that it was on SA G fare (the SA G fare wasn't anywhere on my ticket). What is a sure way to find out if miles will be credited before I take a flight?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The fare class that you see on your itinerary is the fare class of the marketing carrier - that is, the carrier listed before the flight number. Mileage credit on all * Alliance airlines is based on the fare class of the operating carrier. The marketing and operating fare classes may or may not be different - in your case, it was different, and unfortunately meant you didn't get the mileage you thought you would.

Only way to find out for sure the fare class of the operating carrier is to call them. A call to SAA, and the rep. should be able to look this information up for you.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buzz4fly
I booked a flight DCA-YYZ-LHR-JNB for the beginning of t from Air Canada site. So, I called United MP customer service and red the fare codes and operating carriers. LHR-JNB segment was operated by South African Airways, with AC flight number and fare code K. My ticket clearly indicated a K fare on all segments. United credited only 50% of LHR-JNB segments, stating that it was on SA G fare (the SA G fare wasn't anywhere on my ticket). What is a sure way to find out if miles will be credited before I take a flight?
In the *A system, the flight operator rules and fare code is what matters -- the codeshare partner and their fare codes are not relevant.
The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.
looking at SAA crediting to MP you will see most discount economy fares are only 50% earning.

Finding the flight operator fare code for codeshares can be tricky. The only sure way is to make the purchase and then call the flight operator. If you don't like the answer, in the USA you can cancel the purchase within the first 24 hours with no penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.