Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2/3 June NYC-Area Storms and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

United has issued a weather advisory for NYC, Washington Area airports and PHL for today, a cold front is approaching with some thunderstorms. When the same system hit the Midwest the past few days only ORD got the advisory yet a tornado hit OKC and even some smaller aircraft and the airport had some damage and no advisory for OKC or Indiana and Ohio airports which had storms.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 3, 2013 at 10:36 am Reason: really, really, really vague thread title
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA tends to be much more generous with the official weather waivers when it comes to hubs. It seems like there's a waiver for "Newark" (which includes all the NY airports) once a week these days.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:31 pm

The summer months are here. Late afternoon thunderstorms are pretty typical in the New York area for the next two months. Those 30-minute flights from Boston can easily be delayed 2 hours when a storm passes through. Not sure if this kind of weather qualifies for waivers. There are no guarantees of course, but the delays go both ways. If you're delayed coming into EWR, your connecting flight will likely be delayed too.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Argh, I'm not getting into LGA until WAY later tonight
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yup. UA saves its slots in traffic management programs for long-hauls and the Shuttles. Then the rest of mainline, then UX.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
just delayed under 2 hours for CLE -> DCA, at least no CXL. the fun part was sitting in the ERJ-145 on the tarmac for about an hour before we turned back to the gate and deplane for a bit. glad i moved to 12A a few hours earlier.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
EWR Today

What is the situation there?

My 5pm flight was already delayed by over an hour, i have now moved to a 2PM flight that is now 30 mins late

Is it only the UX stuff being delayed, or is it across the board?

What about outbounds, are things leaving ontime (if the equip is there)?

I am connected from ROC-EWR-TLV, and trying to figure out if i have any chance to make the 4pm TLV flight (if it is delayed, i have a chance). Should i have the checkin folks in ROC tag my bags for standby on the earlier flight
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bosbjg
What is the situation there?

My 5pm flight was already delayed by over an hour, i have now moved to a 2PM flight that is now 30 mins late

Is it only the UX stuff being delayed, or is it across the board?

What about outbounds, are things leaving ontime (if the equip is there)?

I am connected from ROC-EWR-TLV, and trying to figure out if i have any chance to make the 4pm TLV flight (if it is delayed, i have a chance). Should i have the checkin folks in ROC tag my bags for standby on the earlier flight
From a driver's perspective 10 miles from the airport - horrible this morning.

But clearing now.

It looks like the 4 pm flight's inbound plane is already in EWR - less chance of delay (from a closing the door perspective).

I'd also ask to be protected on the 10 pm.

Last edited by aacharya; Jun 3, 2013 at 9:28 am
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Due to WEATHER / LOW CEILINGS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 43 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

LGA is also affected, though not as lengthy....
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:24 am

The weather has just about finished passing through. If your 5pm flight is still late, it might be because of delays with the inbound aircraft. I don't expect any new ATC delays.

I don't know how one goes about getting on an earlier flight with checked luggage, but it's sure something I would like to understand. I recently had the opportunity to get an earlier flight but I had checked luggage from an inbound connection, so I just waited it out.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
The weather has just about finished passing through. If your 5pm flight is still late, it might be because of delays with the inbound aircraft. I don't expect any new ATC delays.

I don't know how one goes about getting on an earlier flight with checked luggage, but it's sure something I would like to understand. I recently had the opportunity to get an earlier flight but I had checked luggage from an inbound connection, so I just waited it out.
Almost impossible with any linkage to international flights.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
where is the weather advisory? i can't find it.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by travel.flier
where is the weather advisory? i can't find it.
There were waivers for yesterday, but not today.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Brutal AM (I had to drive through it) - the 6am ORD-LGA (the plane my wife needed for her 10am LGA-ORD) diverted to Buffalo. Looking better now though.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
If you are at a small station, they should be able to handle it for you.

While waiting in ROC for the ROC-EWR flight many folks were being moved to different flights and different airlines - all with checked bags. They just used the radio to call the bag room and asked them to transfer the bags

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.