Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know if UAL has changed on how they show PQM/PQS when booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

Does anybody know if UAL has changed on how they show PQM/PQS when booking? I noticed when I book, the PQM does not show anymore by the miles.

Thank you.

Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Welcome to FT! I've moved your question to the United Mileage Plus forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by sfo2anywhere
Hello!

Does anybody know if UAL has changed on how they show PQM/PQS when booking? I noticed when I book, the PQM does not show anymore by the miles.

Thank you.

Yes -- they took that away because many times it was incorrect (especially for partners). Hopefully they will phase a more accurate display when they launch the new website.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
They show the distance/miles flow which, along with fare class, can help you determine how many PQM/PQS you will get.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
When is United launching their new website?

Originally Posted by edcho
Hopefully they will phase a more accurate display when they launch the new website.
When is UA expected to launch the new website?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by LukeRB
When is UA expected to launch the new website?
No one knows. At the UADo in November, they just started taking user feedback for the new site. The UA people I talked to said possibly end of 2013 but they didn't sound too sure.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It was often incorrect anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1k
I have been lurking on this site for a while, but finally decided to join. I was about to start a new thread on this topic, but I finally found this already mentioned...

I had asked UA customer service about this on 20 May, but haven't yet received a reply. (ref: KMM11366191V85296L0KM). Although I didn't expect a response from UA to come too quickly, I think more than two weeks is a bit long to wait.

Since some of you mentioned that the % of PQM shown while booking was often incorrect...does anyone have an easy way to determine this? I'd rather book through UA's site, though because of this change, I now book on *A partner sites (many of which aren't as user-friendly), and ensure that the booking class is shown on United's pages for partner airlines (MP program>Earn Miles>Airline Partners and Global Alliances)

I generally avoid this simply by flying airlines that are more generous with earning PQM (Turkish, Ethiopian) and avoiding those where only a few classes earn miles (Egyptair). Though booking on partner sites, I often have to physically mail my boarding pass stubs to earn miles (especially on Ethiopian, which are often handwritten and often don't even list flight number).

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by chaseUA
I have been lurking on this site for a while, but finally decided to join. I was about to start a new thread on this topic, but I finally found this already mentioned...

I had asked UA customer service about this on 20 May, but haven't yet received a reply. (ref: KMM11366191V85296L0KM). Although I didn't expect a response from UA to come too quickly, I think more than two weeks is a bit long to wait.

Since some of you mentioned that the % of PQM shown while booking was often incorrect...does anyone have an easy way to determine this? I'd rather book through UA's site, though because of this change, I now book on *A partner sites (many of which aren't as user-friendly), and ensure that the booking class is shown on United's pages for partner airlines (MP program>Earn Miles>Airline Partners and Global Alliances)

I generally avoid this simply by flying airlines that are more generous with earning PQM (Turkish, Ethiopian) and avoiding those where only a few classes earn miles (Egyptair). Though booking on partner sites, I often have to physically mail my boarding pass stubs to earn miles (especially on Ethiopian, which are often handwritten and often don't even list flight number).

Thanks
Welcome to FT chaseUA!

There is no easy way and has to be done by hand -- the problem is that fare classes that UA books don't necessarily correlate to the fare classes that the partner will provide and what is listed on the partner pages. (i.e. UA might show Y fare but it might be actually S fare on TK). This was the problem with the calculator too as it caused (many) incorrect calculations to be shown.

One way to actually find out is to book it and call the operator up to see what fare class you are on (and/or bring up the reservation online on the partner's page). If you don't like it, you can cancel within 24 hours.

Another (probably easier) way to book is to book the segments directly with the operator so you know exactly what you are getting. You may have separate PNRs/reservations, but atleast you know from the get go and may be cheaper (sometimes). When you check your bags, you can interline them through by showing all the reservations to the check-in agent.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.