Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (EV) CVG-EWR Flight is the "WORST Flight in America" WSJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (EV) CVG-EWR Flight is the "WORST Flight in America" WSJ

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
City pairs and time.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Another issue the article highlights -- and which I'm guessing many of us have experienced -- is the tendency to blame many delays on "weather," when the actual cause is more likely related to the systemwide problems already discussed.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I thought this was more interesting:

How do you work around that when the regional partner says they're doing all they can do?
When EWR capacity is limited and the FAA runs a delay program, UA controls the slots for UA and UAX. UA is choosing what flights to delay (swap slots) or cancel. The regional partner does not control their delay program slots.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jeebus
Another issue the article highlights -- and which I'm guessing many of us have experienced -- is the tendency to blame many delays on "weather," when the actual cause is more likely related to the systemwide problems already discussed.
Yes, that was discussed in this thread. UA has the ability to declare WX largely at their discretion, which frees them from a number of forms of passenger compensation. Further, the UA CoC explicitly allows UA to call anything they want "weather-related".
Old May 30, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I fly CVG-EWR a fair amount and can certainly attest to the delays. It's funny, as a PMUA guy I would try to avoid ORD due to the weather delays that could pop up there. After the merger I started flying through EWR more and quickly realized that ORD was paradise.

I am flying CVG-EWR next week en-route to an international destination that is only served through EWR. Fingers crossed...
Old May 31, 2013, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I am flying CVG-EWR next week en-route to an international destination that is only served through EWR. Fingers crossed...
...don't do it...don't do it...don't do it...

...don't say we and WSJ didn't warn you...

David
Old May 31, 2013, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Let's face it...EWR is one of the worst airports in the country to fly into and out of. For years, I used to fly evening flights on CO back to AUS weekly. I expected delays pretty much every week. But eventually, delays become too big an issue. After several bad delays and dwindling upgrade rates in 2008, I moved to AA as my primary carrier after a 7pm departure became a 3am departure the next morning. Weather, mechanical x2, late crew, crew timed out...it was like every reason a flight could get delayed was happening in waves.

Along with my move to AA as primary, I swore that I would fly only morning flights from thereon out. I still fly UA, and I still occasionally fly evenings (if my schedule dictates it), but I have found that staying an extra night at a hotel and flying out first thing in the morning has significantly reduced the number of delays I am exposed to.

Beyond that, I believe UA should be flying more widebodies and mainline out of EWR for domestic, and reduce the RJ frequencies so that the congestion will get slightly better. Unless we all start booking away from RJs, management will not get the message...
I've had FAR more delays out of SFO than EWR...most of my EWR flights in the past few years have been on time (knock on wood)....but if a few clouds roll in over SFO, it's over...especially if you're on UAX
Old May 31, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I've had FAR more delays out of SFO than EWR...most of my EWR flights in the past few years have been on time (knock on wood)....but if a few clouds roll in over SFO, it's over...especially if you're on UAX
I think SFO and EWR are very different. With SFO, delays are much harder to predict. At EWR, delays are very easy to predict and usually at the same time of day...
Old May 31, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I think SFO and EWR are very different. With SFO, delays are much harder to predict. At EWR, delays are very easy to predict and usually at the same time of day...
also when i fly mainline out of EWR, for the most part it's usually okay.

it's when my boarding pass tells me to fly UAX out of terminal A, that's when i immediately assume i'll be delayed for hours... maybe i just have bad luck but i honestly can't remember the last expressjet flight i've had out of terminal A that left on time, and i've been doing it for years.

...now i wonder why i bother. maybe i'm a glutton for punishment.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
also when i fly mainline out of EWR, for the most part it's usually okay.

it's when my boarding pass tells me to fly UAX out of terminal A, that's when i immediately assume i'll be delayed for hours... maybe i just have bad luck but i honestly can't remember the last expressjet flight i've had out of terminal A that left on time, and i've been doing it for years.

...now i wonder why i bother. maybe i'm a glutton for punishment.
No, you're not alone - I have the similar dread w/EWR A. Guaranteed to be late, as well as a CF in the gate area with that many people packed into a small space.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Curious what a quantitative data source would show comparing the two.

I feel that SFO's reputation is worse than reality.

I've lived here for more than a decade and have experienced not even an handful of weather related delays arriving or departing. I know we have clouds. I know we have fog. I see it every day. And, yet, I simply have not encountered many weather related delays!

Maybe it's because I usually leave in the morning before the fog arrives and usually arrive at night when the fog has settled and traffic is low?

I do agree that UX is much worse than mainline. Including here. It seems like UX is just delayed, period, regardless of any other factor.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:54 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by spin88
This is not just a EWR problem, its a PMCO problem. They build tight turns and no down time into their scheduled to get more flights in per day with each AC (to pay for the new birds).
For what it's worth, coming from the pmUA side, turn times INCREASED on RJ's after the merger. pmUA 50 seaters required a 24 minute turn, pmCO 50 seaters required 25 minutes.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Curious what a quantitative data source would show comparing the two.
Here's the year so far, for United Airlines mainline flights from SFO and EWR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wcd3maht7...son.pdf?v=1mci

As far as ExpressJet (as referenced in the article)-- I'm not sure how to break those out from the data since they fly for more than one airline.

Data from the BTS
Old May 31, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by johnmont
Here's the year so far, for United Airlines mainline flights from SFO and EWR:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wcd3maht7...son.pdf?v=1mci

As far as ExpressJet (as referenced in the article)-- I'm not sure how to break those out from the data since they fly for more than one airline.

Data from the BTS
High level takeaway: EWR is a bit worse than SFO but not dramatically so, and this is true for all airlines, and UA's delay rate is a bit lower than average for each of those airports.

To what extent can an airline influence who is chosen for delay? I've always had an impression that dominant carriers have a certain amount of power and their dominant airports, such that they can influence delays to be given to less significant carriers. Any truth to that?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canard
Since the merger, many of these flight numbers change daily -- why do they change so often?
From what I understand, there are insufficient flight numbers available in the post-merger UA, so that leads to a lot of flipping around of flight numbers. There was a thread on this, but I can't find that right now to link to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.