Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Flight Cancelation due to weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Flight Cancelation due to weather

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okwhynot
Good Afternoon:

Was on a 5 PM flight to Savannah from Dulles canceled and re booked for Saturday into Jacksonville no seats to Savannah until Monday

Agent stated weather up the coast and no fault of Airlines so I had to take family of 4 to a hotel with no voucher and no luggage since we chedcked it in that am at 5am San Francisco .
How do you determine it weas weather as people in Savannah indicate zero

Thanks for reading
Was there any weather anywhere along the route? It could be a long line of thunderstorms half way between and not practical to go around or over them.

Weather cancelations do not entitle you to hotel or food vouchers as they are out of UA's control.

Sorry for your delays and hassles. Had same thing last Sunday in Denver except the lightning was right on top of DEN airport. Spent night in hotel on my own dime.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:16 pm

Sorry you had trouble but weather is up and down the whole east coast today. Have you looked at a weather map recently?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Hate to break it to you, but there was weather all day at IAD. I had to reschedule a trip today due to that weather. At my house, we got nearly 3" of rain, and the region had winds of up to 60 mph (mostly south of IAD), strong thunderstorms, and hail the size of golfballs.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
IAD 6-28

Theoretically speaking, they could lie? What sort of guidelines or mechanism is in place to eliminate such a possibility?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, there's been weather.

Reagan National (KDCA) is currently experiencing:
- arrival delays for airborne aircraft an average of 54 minutes
- departure delays an average of 1 hours 5 minutes
- inbound flights delayed at their origin an average of 2 hours 41 minutes due to thunderstorms

Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD) is currently experiencing departure delays of 46 minutes to 1 hours (and increasing) due to thunderstorms.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Theoretically speaking, they could lie? What sort of guidelines or mechanism is in place to eliminate such a possibility?
Weather reports? Common sense? A lack of any motivation whatsoever to lie?

If this isn't arguing for the sake of arguing I don't know what is. At least 1,100 regional flights (not just UA, all regionals) were cancelled today because of "something" though.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Seems that the whole eastern half of the US has been foo-bared all week. Seemed like very RJ was running 1-2 hours late at ORD on Weds. And IAD wasn't looking much better last night. One agent told me it's the worst week she's ever seen. (Of course, she might have just started this month....)

Frankly, I've been surprised that there hasn't been a thread on this. Maybe the FT crowd isn't travelling so much with the holiday coming up.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: Won Kay
I was on UA804 arriving from NRT around 4:30 -- we were in holding for about 30" and damn lucky to get into IAD and not divert. ^

WX was not good, and the drive home took quite a while due to traffic snafus due to the heavy T-storms.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Delta Plt,American Lifetime Platinum
IAD 6-28

Just a shot in the dark , as we arrived on time in Dulles and rain seemed moderate:
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by okwhynot
Just a shot in the dark , as we arrived on time in Dulles and rain seemed moderate:
Thunderstorms were rolling through, not a surprise it was looking fine -- even sunny -- when you arrived.

Doesn't take long for that to change in the afternoon this time of year.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
Weather reports? Common sense? A lack of any motivation whatsoever to lie?

If this isn't arguing for the sake of arguing I don't know what is. At least 1,100 regional flights (not just UA, all regionals) were cancelled today because of "something" though.
I would be tempted to hide a mech delay under a weather umbrella. Much less comp required that way.

Not being argumentative, just asking if there is any oversight guidelines on this.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would be tempted to hide a mech delay under a weather umbrella. Much less comp required that way.

Not being argumentative, just asking if there is any oversight guidelines on this.
FAA and DOT regulations, for starters, as enshrined in the CFR.

Enforcement is a little beyond my knowledge base, but so is enforcement of someone littering at 65 miles/hour on a country road.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:42 pm

My flight was delayed five hours. And when we finally did take off, I got to see the thunderstorms from the air as we were flying around them. So yeah, there was weather...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I was at ORD this past Wed and it was BAD!

UAX cancelled at least 1-2 flights to almost all destinations (mine included) and claimed it was weather.

Well, mainline was operating normally and its very hard to believe that weather in Syracuse is somehow related to weather in St. Louis! Also, according to the UA app, my inbound aircraft was scheduled to arrive on time.

When I rebooked and decided to go to an airport 85 miles from my original destination, there was a mechanical issue with the cargo door. So we had to wait about 20min at the gate. Upon landing, I checked the app and it said the delay was due to "Awaiting inbound aircraft".

Yes, United you like to lie, don't you?

Last edited by bsb21; Jun 29, 2013 at 2:14 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:31 pm

United does lie about weather. It is documented here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...rline-lie.html

Please note: The captain confirmed once we were boarded it was not wx but their late arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.