Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assigned, but not visible online

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I flew EWR to HKG 2 weeks ago and the "---" happened to me also... in my case it was a coach ticket without any upgrade.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I still think you should click on the seat, re-select your seat and complete the OLCI again - that might re-sync everything back up.
Well, after extensive deliberation, I went back to the mobile site and clicked on my (correctly) listed seat assignment. And the mobile seat map did show me in my previously reserved seat. So I took a screenshot and re-checked in.

The regular site, (ual.com) still does not show me on the seat map.

I hope that tomorrow will be less interesting than it probably will be.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't think you will have a problem, and personally, I wouldn't mess with it any more. Just have your BP ready and show up as early as possible at the airport in case there are problems.

Several of us have experienced this exact issue with no actual problem arising from it.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
I don't think you will have a problem, and personally, I wouldn't mess with it any more. Just have your BP ready and show up as early as possible at the airport in case there are problems.

Several of us have experienced this exact issue with no actual problem arising from it.
I agree and will do as you suggested.

(and I am loading up on Prozac and Ambien)....
Old May 13, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had the same thing happen to my seats last month flying SFO - SYD. Seats remained protected. There is a bug in SHARES that makes seat display disappear on the web site when you OLCI with GPU - R space, but only into Business First. The upgraded seats for my YVR-SFO connecting flight continued to show up fine.

Didn't get a good sleep the night before my flight, as a result.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Seat assigned, but not visible online

[deleted] mods, thanks for moving post to this thread. It appears the --- is a common mystery, even for mediocre middle seats in coach.

Last edited by pinks; May 14, 2013 at 11:02 am Reason: merged with existing thread on this topic
Old May 14, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Same thing happened to me yesterday on IAH-LGA. No upgrade involved. Within the 24-hour check-in window, my aisle seat disappeared online for about 2 hours showing as --. I already checked in and had a printed BP with seat assignment. Strangely the mobile app showed my assignment (even after re-synching it).

I got another BP at the bag check which showed my assignment. Ended up with my seat no problem.

Interestingly though, two passengers had BPs with the same window seat. Worked out for the woman who boarded second, she got an aisle E+ exit.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Originally Posted by coloneltigh
Same thing happened to me yesterday on IAH-LGA. No upgrade involved. Within the 24-hour check-in window, my aisle seat disappeared online for about 2 hours showing as --. I already checked in and had a printed BP with seat assignment. Strangely the mobile app showed my assignment (even after re-synching it).
Your problem is similar to mine, but for me the IAH-EWR part is fine, but my seat from EWR to IST disappeared right after I checked in and printed the boarding passes. I'll go check to mobile app.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:14 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
I had the same thing happen to my seats last month flying SFO - SYD. Seats remained protected. There is a bug in SHARES that makes seat display disappear on the web site when you OLCI with GPU - R space, but only into Business First.
This.

Exact same thing for me a few weeks ago on an Asia-US flight in upgraded C. Upgrade remained, never a second look from anyone. I was concerned for about 10 seconds until I went online and printed my boarding passes and despite the "---" in my reservation, the seat on my BP was not only there, but my favorite seat that I had selected months before.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'd say this was harmless if it didn't come with the frustrating inability to change your seat assignment. Suppose you're watching for a particular seat to open up, and you go to change it: the Web site will record the change, but the next time you come back, it shows "---" again (and if you get an agent to check the manifest, your old seat is still set there). I don't know the solution; maybe a phone agent can change it (though a couple I tried could not when it happened to me).
Old May 14, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by southtahoe
I agree and will do as you suggested.

(and I am loading up on Prozac and Ambien)....

...And as others have predicted, I am happily seated in the upper deck seat I selected months ago. (Despite the ominous "---")
Old May 14, 2013, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by southtahoe
...And as others have predicted, I am happily seated in the upper deck seat I selected months ago. (Despite the ominous "---")
Thanks for the :-: update :-:

EmailKid
Old May 14, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Glad you got your seat.

Just another possibility that happened to me. I was flying SEA-NRT and showed up at the airport for my flight with my boarding class showing my selected E+ seat, checked my bag and went through security.

I went to the United Club and about 1/2 hour later I rechecked my seat on the mobile app Hoping that I might still find an empty seat next to me. What I found shocked me. My selected seat was now blocked and I had NO seat assignment. In a panic I went to the service desk and (probably with a hint of panic in my voice and conspiracy theories running through my brain) told them I didn't have a seat and my selected seat was blocked.

To my astonishment, the lady smiled looked me up in the system and said, "This is your lucky day" you've been upgraded to Business Class". She printed off my new boarding pass and my panic subsided.

I got an op-up as coach was oversold and they had to move people into E+ to accommodate.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Glad you got your seat.

Just another possibility that happened to me. I was flying SEA-NRT and showed up at the airport for my flight with my boarding class showing my selected E+ seat, checked my bag and went through security.

I went to the United Club and about 1/2 hour later I rechecked my seat on the mobile app Hoping that I might still find an empty seat next to me. What I found shocked me. My selected seat was now blocked and I had NO seat assignment. In a panic I went to the service desk and (probably with a hint of panic in my voice and conspiracy theories running through my brain) told them I didn't have a seat and my selected seat was blocked.

To my astonishment, the lady smiled looked me up in the system and said, "This is your lucky day" you've been upgraded to Business Class". She printed off my new boarding pass and my panic subsided.

I got an op-up as coach was oversold and they had to move people into E+ to accommodate.
Did you get the old config business or the new businessfirst seat?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you get the old config business or the new businessfirst seat?
Got the old config business. But happy to have the extra room. And my iPad and iPhone provided me with entertainment.

I was going onward NRT/BKK on a 747 and back in packed E+. I recognized about six other passengers in E+ that had been in Business Class with me on the Sea/NRT flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.