I just got skipped on the upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
What is EUA?
Old May 10, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Pretty sure my wife just got skipped over on ORD-LGA this week...#1 out of 25 on the list, 1 empty that looked to be a misconnect. About to shut the door, and instead of upgrading her, they call the name of some guy who's in the back (and who wasn't on the UG list). He apparently came up and knew to put his things behind row 3 (on the A320, aka the FA spot)...sounds like a nonrev.
Did the flight go out full in F? Was there anyone upgraded into the missing seat?

Originally Posted by mmack
What is EUA?
Elite Upgrade Automation, the pre-merger CO term for the upgrade system.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
On this, I completely disagree. Expert mode is a special mode that needs to be enabled and gives you ample warning before you enable it. The upgrade list is shown publicly with no warning, and precious few flyers (other than on here) know that there are two lists. I think it is asking way too much for people to come onto FT and dig into this stuff in order to be able to interpret something that is prominently displayed by UA in various venues. Indeed, even FT-ers (myself included) thought that the pre-clearing method stopped at T-3.
Your logic is impeccable. I have to agree with you, as it is public without any warning.

I don't agree that the list is worthless, and the issue of #7 to #1 was not proven conclusively (#7 could've bought up, been added later as a companion to a 1K, etc). But one can be skipped, and UA should note the difference between the battlefield list and the EUA list.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Did the flight go out full in F? Was there anyone upgraded into the missing seat?.
The flight went out full (was the final GA action before closing the door), UG list didn't change before or after, guy they pulled up into F wasn't on the UG list, and knew the sneaky place to put his bags (the seat was 1E so no floor space)...dodgy.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'll give a very recent example of where I think this sort of thing can be valid. Traveling to KWI the earlier in the week when a maintenance paperwork snafu caused my originating aircraft ex-COS to return to the gate. This results in a misconnect in DEN to IAD. So no problem, I accounted for such a possibility in my layovers, as I absolutely needed to be in KWI on time. Catch the next DEN->IAD flight but only middle seats in E+ remain open. I am #1 for the "upgrade" until boarding begins, then suddenly #2. I inquire with the GA and politely slip into the conversation that I am flying a nearly 24-hr itinerary on a $9500 fare.

Very near departure and no available UG seats, #1 is already onboard. I board. Someone who shouldn't have or wasn't expected to misconnects. GA walks onboard and hands me the F boarding pass. UA's fault I misconnected in the first place. Extremely long itinerary and a very high fare paid. Obviously I'm biased, but I believe the GA did the right thing both for me and for his employer. #1 was probably never the wiser.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by mmack
What is EUA?
Elite Upgrade Automation. The upgrade priority list that gets followed prior to flight going under airport control
Old May 10, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I am #1 for the "upgrade" until boarding begins, then suddenly #2. I inquire with the GA and politely slip into the conversation that I am flying a nearly 24-hr itinerary on a $9500 fare.

Very near departure and no available UG seats, #1 is already onboard. I board. Someone who shouldn't have or wasn't expected to misconnects. GA walks onboard and hands me the F boarding pass. UA's fault I misconnected in the first place. Extremely long itinerary and a very high fare paid. Obviously I'm biased, but I believe the GA did the right thing both for me and for his employer. #1 was probably never the wiser.
No matter how you want to slice/justify it, that's shenanigans - and not valid as per the rules. Had #1 been an FT'er, you'd have seen a rant on this very forum. Or maybe you were still #1 in the EUA line, but #2 battlefield, and hence it was okay.

Personally? I'm okay with a little bit of freedom for the GAs. This hyper-focus on black and white decisions hurts the GA's job sometimes. Of course, this then results in UA-NYC's example. Hence the crackdown.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I'll give a very recent example of where I think this sort of thing can be valid. Traveling to KWI the earlier in the week when a maintenance paperwork snafu caused my originating aircraft ex-COS to return to the gate. This results in a misconnect in DEN to IAD. So no problem, I accounted for such a possibility in my layovers, as I absolutely needed to be in KWI on time. Catch the next DEN->IAD flight but only middle seats in E+ remain open. I am #1 for the "upgrade" until boarding begins, then suddenly #2. I inquire with the GA and politely slip into the conversation that I am flying a nearly 24-hr itinerary on a $9500 fare.

THis is absolutely shenanigans unless you were #1 on EUA and it ran. UA put you #2 for a reason. you were on a lower fare, checked in later, or had lower status than #1 and #1 should have gotten the upgrade (unless of course EUA ran)
Old May 10, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Elite Upgrade Automation, the pre-merger CO term for the upgrade system.
It's the legacy CO term and the current term. In your record, it will comment about EUA when EUA upgrades you.

Just like in the CO world, there was a different name for what the Elite perk was called (e.g., free, unlimited upgrades or something like that) and COdbaUA calls them Complimentary Premier Upgrades, EUA is still the system on the back end doing the processing (when it works!).
Old May 10, 2013, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
is it possible someone just took a buy up last minute?
Originally Posted by halls120
So the boarding screen showing the UG list is essentially worthless. Good to know.
On a related note, was #1 on u/g list at SJC a month or so ago, both on UA.com and airport monitors, and both seatmap and Expert Mode showed 1 F with me #1 on upgrade list and all checked in.

All of sudden went to full about an hour before the flight with me still #1 on u/g list

Finally a few minutes later went back to 1 open F seat with me still #1

Finally got the call to the podium about 35 minutes before push to get my 1B BP

Oddly enough, no GS at this Silicone Valley airport. Guess they all fly in private planes ....

EmailKid
Old May 10, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
THis is absolutely shenanigans unless you were #1 on EUA and it ran. UA put you #2 for a reason. you were on a lower fare, checked in later, or had lower status than #1 and #1 should have gotten the upgrade (unless of course EUA ran)
Highly unlikely. In any event, bear in mind I paid for F but wound up back in E+ due to a major error on the part of UA. "Rules is rules!" is sheer simplemindedness and I'm glad I was born and live in a country where people are raised to actually think and not merely recite and in absolutely all cases abide by a book of rules.

In my view, F ought first and foremost be for people who paid for it and then for everyone else according to the established hierarchy. And in this case I paid for it.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
I've never seen this/seen this being talked about here. This morning I was taking a red eye from SFO to IAH and was 2nd on the upgrade waitlist. After we boarded the first and the third was invited to First and I wasn't. Intrigued I asked the agent and showed her the upgrade list on my phone she rudely said "we take whatever the machine spits out". Has this ever happened to anyone?

I was P Gold in Y class, I was standby at first but then the system gave me a seat. By the time we boarded I was well placed in 2nd place on upgrade list though.
One one occasion about 40 minutes before departure I was looking at cabin with one seat left and I was 5th or so on the list. I went to a machine and accepted an upgrade offer and jumped the line. Might be what happened here.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
so in conclusion, the fact that the gate agent said "we cannot override it" to me is a lie? Seems like we have more than enough examples that they CAN indeed override it and do shenanigans.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by UAConcorde
Seems like we have more than enough examples that they CAN indeed override it and do shenanigans.

where?

Last edited by njcommodore; May 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm Reason: wrong poster was quoted... weird.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
This has happened to me as well. I was #1 on the list. #2 was called up, upgraded, and boarded. I asked the GA why I was skipped, and she said I wasn't -- "You're still #1 on the upgrade list."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.