Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Exclamation UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

If this has been posted here please remove this thread:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ghs-in/275603/
Old May 7, 2013, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wow. If that was really a letter from a United pilot, I can see why things aren't going well at United. An employee complaint line so that you can rat out your fellow co-workers?
Old May 7, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.
Agree. I thought better of the Atlantic.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS
As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by villox
As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.
He was just pointing out a list of irritants for the customers, not everyone carries a cc!
Old May 7, 2013, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, it was a "CO takeover."

But seriously - an in-house "rat out your fellow employee" process?
Old May 7, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
What's funny is that I think a lot of his gripes like the picture-taking restrictions and the Hindu meal (Asian Vegetarian=vegetarian, Hindu=non-vegetarian. Weird!) are pmUA policies. Didn't the no-cash rule on United pre-date the merger too?
Old May 7, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
ouch!
Old May 7, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...omplaints.html

for some earlier discussion
Old May 7, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:24 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fjfv19
As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.
How the heck did that happen?! Is there another thread about it (or is it buried in the Denver family thread somewhere)?

I also just read the blog entry from Matthew's blog. That FA sounds psycho!

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; May 7, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old May 7, 2013, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.
That's the problem with the mentality in ANY union-centric organization (air, auto, you name it) - it's always about US versus THEM and both sides make it a zero-sum game.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:32 am

Why?

What was wrong with his comment?

Originally Posted by villox

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.