FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1464959-ua-kicking-passengers-off-their-planes-james-fallows-article-atlantic.html)

djjaguar64 May 7, 2013 5:49 am

UA and kicking passengers off their planes (James Fallows Article in The Atlantic)

If this has been posted here please remove this thread:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ghs-in/275603/

halls120 May 7, 2013 5:55 am

Wow. If that was really a letter from a United pilot, I can see why things aren't going well at United. An employee complaint line so that you can rat out your fellow co-workers? :td:

njcommodore May 7, 2013 5:58 am

Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.

aacharya May 7, 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 20710582)
Wow, just when I thought Fallows couldn't make this situation worse ... To post a clearly disgruntled pmUA pilot talk about "the CO takeover" while it was 2 pmUA crew that caused all this drama just fans the flames that aren't really relevant.

Agree. I thought better of the Atlantic.

villox May 7, 2013 7:21 am

As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.

djjaguar64 May 7, 2013 7:25 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 20710900)
As soon as the captain included a gripe about no longer taking cash on the planes he lost me.

He was just pointing out a list of irritants for the customers, not everyone carries a cc!

halls120 May 7, 2013 7:25 am

Well, it was a "CO takeover." ;)

But seriously - an in-house "rat out your fellow employee" process?

Maxwell Smart May 7, 2013 7:27 am

What's funny is that I think a lot of his gripes like the picture-taking restrictions and the Hindu meal (Asian Vegetarian=vegetarian, Hindu=non-vegetarian. Weird!) are pmUA policies. Didn't the no-cash rule on United pre-date the merger too?

frontrangeFF May 7, 2013 7:28 am

ouch!

fjfv19 May 7, 2013 7:42 am

As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.

cordelli May 7, 2013 8:07 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...omplaints.html

for some earlier discussion

SeaRaptor May 7, 2013 8:10 am

While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.

EsquireFlyer May 7, 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19 (Post 20711000)
As a passenger on that flight in question from EWR-IST, I still to this day cannot believe how Matthew was kicked off that plane. I still tell the story of how absurd the whole incident was.

:confused: How the heck did that happen?! Is there another thread about it (or is it buried in the Denver family thread somewhere)?

I also just read the blog entry from Matthew's blog. That FA sounds psycho!

787fan May 7, 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor (Post 20711157)
While I don't disagree, I'm glad they took the time to share a note from a UA employee which reinforces a belief that many among the FF and MileagePlus Premier community have: that UA management (I use that word instead of "leadership" deliberately) is a bigger issue than the line employees.

That's the problem with the mentality in ANY union-centric organization (air, auto, you name it) - it's always about US versus THEM and both sides make it a zero-sum game.

malgudi May 7, 2013 8:32 am

Why? :rolleyes:

What was wrong with his comment?

Originally Posted by villox (Post 20710900)