Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:46 pm

I've never had issues before (either with post-CWT booking upgrades via United.com, or company policy) - not sure why this ticket is causing such issues.

FWIW, a call in did confirm that the online upgrade would book into P, and give bonus PQM but NOT effect PQD.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by expressboy
Yep. I did this once (with a CWT issued ticket) and got audited Had to explain to someone couple of steps up the chain why I had to do this. Very unpleasant and awkward.
It is annoying to have to deal with CWT instead of just calling UA directly. If I want to change flights UA will sometime make the change and sometime they will refuse and say only the travel agent can. The CWT agent just puts me on hold for like 15 mins and I bet they are just calling the general number to change the flight. I can call in and make the change faster on Premier number and not get change the agent fee.

How did you get audit? Just a random check or were there suspicious signs?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by flyguy6
It is annoying to have to deal with CWT instead of just calling UA directly. If I want to change flights UA will sometime make the change and sometime they will refuse and say only the travel agent can. The CWT agent just puts me on hold for like 15 mins and I bet they are just calling the general number to change the flight. I can call in and make the change faster on Premier number and not get change the agent fee.

How did you get audit? Just a random check or were there suspicious signs?
I am guessing random but the trigger seems to have been UA reissuing the ticket sent some sort of notification to CWT.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
United PQM question

On United if you upgrade to first class, do you get more Premier Qualifying Miles?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2018 at 9:21 pm Reason: moved to consolidated thread
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, united1961!

Originally Posted by united1961
On United if you upgrade to first class, do you get more Premier Qualifying Miles?
No, though there are limited exceptions if you buy up.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec

Big thread about this. Short answer is, it depends.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united1961
If you upgrade using miles or certificates - no
If you upgrade using cash upgrades at check-in or offer in My Reservations -- most likely no
If you upgrade by "up-faring" -- done by agent or change flight -- yes

Post upgrading if the receipt states "Add / Collect" you have done a true upfare and will get the bonus PQMs of the new fare class. Anything else - no.

Longer answer, see the thread's wiki
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Unhappy Upgrade Dilemma

I am sure this may be covered somewhere else but so far I have had no luck finding it...

Due to business/work restrictions, I am either booked on economy by a travel planner or I cannot self-book anything more than an economy flight to submit for travel reimbursement. After doing so I almost always personally upgrade the flight to business/first-class? How can I do this so that I get all the PQM/PQS/PQD's related to the higher fare class?

I just did a trip that I paid over $600 to upgrade after the travel planners booked my original ticket. Any insight would be appreciated as next year I will be again stuck in this same situation numerous times.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eric J Rickenbach

Due to business/work restrictions, I am either booked on economy by a travel planner or I cannot self-book anything more than an economy flight to submit for travel reimbursement. After doing so I almost always personally upgrade the flight to business/first-class? How can I do this so that I get all the PQM/PQS/PQD's related to the higher fare class?

I just did a trip that I paid over $600 to upgrade after the travel planners booked my original ticket. Any insight would be appreciated as next year I will be again stuck in this same situation numerous times.
Of all the ways to upgrade, there is only one way (for sure) to get the CoS (Class of Service) bonus -- upfaring. Post booking cash upgrades offered online or at checking are not upfares and are consider upgrade fees not eligble for CoS bonus.

To upfare you need to use the change flight option or call. It is also offered at booking. If upfaring post booking, you need to assk for "BUYUP" change fee waiver or do within 24 hours of booking.

Interesting the upfare cost can be more or even less than the online upgrade fees.

In the end, if the upgrade cost on the ticket receipt says "ADD/COLLECT" you will be fine. If not (such as Merchandising / EDD ) , no CoS bonus.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I'm running a few hundred PQD short for Platinum status and thinking about doing a paid upgrade for my final flight of the year, LAX-EWR. In looking at the terms of the upgrade purchase, it doesn't mention PQD - only miles. Will this paid upgrade count toward my PQD? I can't seem to find a solid answer on the UA site or here on this questions.

FYI. Terms of Upgrade per UA:
Terms and Conditions
  • The upgrade fees associated with this offer are nonrefundable and non-transferable.
  • Voluntary changes to your itinerary will forfeit your upgrade and any associated fees.
  • In the event of a flight cancellation or involuntary schedule change, we will refund your paid upgrade fees if you are not reaccommodated in a premium cabin.
  • Fare rules associated with your original itinerary will also apply to your new itinerary.
  • This upgrade offer is only available via united.com and will not be offered or replicated by other booking sources.
  • MileagePlus® miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service.
  • This upgrade offer applies only to the listed flight segments.
  • Valid for travel on flights operated by United® and United Express® only.
  • This upgrade offer purchase reserves a seat within the selected cabin.
  • Seats are limited and subject to availability.
  • This upgrade offer purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
  • This upgrade offer is subject to change at any time.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jtwiz
I'm running a few hundred PQD short for Platinum status and thinking about doing a paid upgrade for my final flight of the year, LAX-EWR. In looking at the terms of the upgrade purchase, it doesn't mention PQD - only miles. Will this paid upgrade count toward my PQD? I can't seem to find a solid answer on the UA site or here on this questions.
No. You have to re-fare the ticket in order to earn additional PQD.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by findark
No. You have to re-fare the ticket in order to earn additional PQD.
Thanks, I appreciate the quick response.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:11 am

PQM for Upgraded Tickets?

I am running into a new issue with United not crediting miles on upgraded tickets. Here is the scenario: I book business travel and my company pays for an economy ticket. For longer flights, I sometimes do my own upgrade to business class on the United website. United sends me a receipt, and the receipt shows the upgraded fare class. The "miles accrued" information at the bottom of the receipt shows PQM corresponding to the business class fare, typically reflecting the 2x or 3x multiplier. However, when the miles actually post, I get only the miles associated with the ticket I initially purchased.

I called the Mileage Plus desk to ask them to credit the remaining miles. They explained that because the business class fare was purchased as an upgrade (which I guess means that the initial purchase was in the economy fare class), all that United believes I am entitled to is the PQM for the fare class for the initial purchase. I responded that the receipt showed the business class fare class and the PQM for the business class fare class. They said that was a mistake that they would raise with the United IT people. Because the receipt shows that I will earn the PQM for the upgraded fare, they are willing to credit me the difference (between the 1x PQM for the coach fare class and the 3x PQM for the upgraded business class fare), but are not going to do this in the future.

A significant reason to upgrade for me is the chance to make 1K while flying fewer miles, and PQM is typically the hardest of the 1K attainment criteria to reach. As I explained to the United customer service person, if United adheres to what is apparently its policy that paid upgrade tickets do not earn the traveler that pays for the upgrade additional PQM corresponding to the upgrade fare class, I'm less likely to pay to upgrade.

Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best advice is to up-fare, not upgrade; call UA, and make sure you're paying the difference between the current business class fare and what your employer paid.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2018 at 9:23 am Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Best advice is to up-fare, not upgrade; call UA, and make sure you're paying the difference between the current business class fare and what your employer paid.
While that is certainly true, the OPs data suggests that buy-up is what is happening. Otherwise fare classes would not change in a way that brings 2x and 3x PQM multipliers to the ticket and reservation levels. So IMO anything that books into P and higher one would expect to be earning as P or higher. PZ, PN, RN and alikes would indicate a paid upgrade and this should not show a multiplier. It is weird. OP, if you have a ticket receipt and would not mind posting it with the fare class and the 'add/collect' comment ... that might be helpful to understand what is going on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.