Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IAH-LAX was cancelled this afternoon - GA promptly blamed sequestration and subsequent shortages at LAX.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:40 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I know we have threads all over the place on this, but I'll post here since I have been. Problems have intensified today on the East Coast. Too many competing restrictions are confusing the FAA computers. Crews are timing out as airlines are being assigned up to five-hour delays. Airlines are letting the FAA know they are not happy ...kind of screaming that, actually.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by l'etoile
....Airlines are letting the FAA know they are not happy ...kind of screaming that, actually.
may be having an effect
White House says it's open to fix on FAA furloughs
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I remember back in the early 1980,s the PATCO strike airlines were forced to cut flight schedules so I would assume the same will happen as airlines do the pre-cancel around bad weather. All those RJ's does not help. CLE-ORD some days 13 of 15 flights smaller RJ's would make more sense to cut the schedule and run mainline aircraft.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I remember back in the early 1980,s the PATCO strike airlines were forced to cut flight schedules so I would assume the same will happen as airlines do the pre-cancel around bad weather. All those RJ's does not help. CLE-ORD some days 13 of 15 flights smaller RJ's would make more sense to cut the schedule and run mainline aircraft.
and where would they get those mainline aircraft on short notice?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yeah, but is Congress open to an FAA fix? The White House is already on record as being against this. Boehner and McConnell are the ones that need to pull their caucuses together.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
DCA-SFO this morning, pushed back early and jumped a queue of four smaller planes to promptly depart. I'd guess they were Sequester-delayed flights to impacted NE airports.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
One of the perks of the sequester? Should be more bump opportunities with all the cancellations
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Maybe bring back some of the retired 737-500's
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Love the comments by Congressman Hal Rogers at the end of this article complaining that Congress had not been advised of the potential for delays caused by the sequester. I guess neither he nor anyone in his staff reads this forum, where it was discussed at least as early as February 21st. Looks like I learn more from spending time here than a Congressman does from all of their contacts
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by socalflying
Love the comments by Congressman Hal Rogers at the end of this article complaining that Congress had not been advised of the potential for delays caused by the sequester. I guess neither he nor anyone in his staff reads this forum, where it was discussed at least as early as February 21st. Looks like I learn more from spending time here than a Congressman does from all of their contacts
I thought that was amusing too. It was pretty well publicized ...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
when some complain and when they don't

It has been interesting to see how exercised some public officials have become over the terrible suffering inflicted upon the travelling public. I'm fine with sympathy; and since FT is the home of a lot of travelling folk, I want to emphasize that I think it's a headache too. Yesterday, a delayed crew at DEN delayed a DEN-SEA flight which was to then do a SEA-DEN. A hour late, and many missed connections. I have experienced the pain. But how painful is it really? Why aren't the pols wringing their hands over thousands of poor people who have lost housing support? That's just one example; there are head-start programs being eliminated; and reductions in a number of activities which have a negative long-term implication for the USA. That being the case, I'd hope the FTers don't get to hyperbolic about the awful suffering we are enduring.

Flyer 420
in Longmont
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer420
It has been interesting to see how exercised some public officials have become over the terrible suffering inflicted upon the travelling public. I'm fine with sympathy; and since FT is the home of a lot of travelling folk, I want to emphasize that I think it's a headache too. Yesterday, a delayed crew at DEN delayed a DEN-SEA flight which was to then do a SEA-DEN. A hour late, and many missed connections. I have experienced the pain. But how painful is it really? Why aren't the pols wringing their hands over thousands of poor people who have lost housing support? That's just one example; there are head-start programs being eliminated; and reductions in a number of activities which have a negative long-term implication for the USA. That being the case, I'd hope the FTers don't get to hyperbolic about the awful suffering we are enduring.

Flyer 420
in Longmont
^ The voice of reason. Unfortunately, the people really severely impacted don't employ lobbyists to complain on their behalf. That said, now that the lobbyists themselves are having their LGA/DCA flights cancelled on a regular basis, maybe the whole issue will come to some resolution.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:48 pm

and where would they get those mainline aircraft on short notice?and where would they get those mainline aircraft on short notice?
Maybe bring back some of the retired 737-500's
Any thoughts on how many months that would take?
And what about the contractual agreements with the UX carriers?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I just received an email from the UA marketing department. Looks like they're trying to enlist the aid of their over entitled frequent flyers

Dear ,

Airlines and air travelers are now experiencing flight disruptions due to the Federal Aviation Administration's furloughs of air traffic controllers and other employees. In many instances, the flight delays and cancellations being felt across our network are the result of these furloughs, and this may have caused or contributed to the disruption to your recent flight.

We encourage you to write to your elected officials and join us in telling Washington about frustrations around the unnecessary delays caused by the decision to continue with these furloughs. For more information on how this situation is impacting air travel and how you can voice your concerns, please go to http://news.united.com/servlet/cc6?J...0V4aDYABRYVXLX

We thank you for choosing to fly United, and we hope that there will be a resolution to this situation in the very near future.

Help stop FAA furlough-related travel disruptions
http://news.united.com/servlet/cc6?J...0V4aDYABRYVXLX

Last edited by Waldofriend; Apr 24, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reason: insert hyperlink

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.