FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1460337-important-notice-united-update-regarding-sequester-impacts-travel.html)

burnsy Apr 21, 2013 11:54 am

Important Notice from United: Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

From the United web site...

Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Last updated April 19, 2013

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has announced that it intends to furlough some air traffic controllers and related FAA employees in response to the U.S. government’s budget sequestration. While we don’t yet know what the full result of these furloughs will be, we expect that they will have a significant impact on operations for all airlines, including United, and result in significant delays across the nation’s air traffic system.

The FAA has noted that each day they expect to delay more than 6,700 flights by implementing ground-delay programs or other traffic management initiatives, effectively limiting the number of aircraft departures per hour. Industry-wide, the FAA’s plan could delay one out of every three people who fly, and the delays could be significant.

We are developing contingency plans to operate under this reduced air traffic control capacity, in order to minimize the impact of sequestration-related delays on our customers. United employees will continue working hard to deliver good customer service and reliable transportation despite this challenge.

We will continue to post any available updates regarding the impacts of the sequestration budget cuts on airline operations.
Any tips to minimize the pain? What happens when United cancels my non-refundable ticket due to FAA delays? Seems like checking luggage would not be advisable.

edcho Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by burnsy (Post 20628169)
From the United web site...

Update regarding sequester impacts on travel

Any tips to minimize the pain? What happens when United cancels my non-refundable ticket due to FAA delays? Seems like checking luggage would not be advisable.

Fly less! :D:D:D

If UA cancels due to FAA delays, it would be handled like any other cancellation -- refund or book on the next available flight.

WineCountryUA Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm

.... Any tips to minimize the pain? ...

travel always has a certain amount of uncertainty and this will not help but let's see how this plans out. 6,700 flights may seem like alot and will be a pain for those delayed but it is a small percentage of the daily flights in the USA (less than 10%?). (The UA number of 1/3 seems high but they are considering probably including connecting flights)

....What happens when United cancels my non-refundable ticket due to FAA delays? ...

did not see the word cancel in the PR and FAA plans.
If a cancellation happens, you have the option of rescheduling or refunding

....Seems like checking luggage would not be advisable.

why?? If re-routed UA will handle the luggage.

I would suggest waiting to see how things plan out before extrapolating disasters.

Plane-is-home Apr 21, 2013 12:51 pm

This is a bad FAA scam. How would the requested spending cut trigger such a high impact on Air traffic control? Especially considering that they have at least twice the amount of paper pushers than any other government agency I work with. I hope the airlines will be successful with the legal challenge.

Baze Apr 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 20628420)
This is a bad FAA scam. How would the requested spending cut trigger such a high impact on Air traffic control? Especially considering that they have at least twice the amount of paper pushers than any other government agency I work with. I hope the airlines will be successful with the legal challenge.

Well, you know they wont furlough the paper pushers or managers, only the down in the trenches people who actually work for a living.

mduell Apr 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Fly foreign carriers - they're generally exempt from the Traffic Management Initiatives the FAA will likely use to manage the reduced capacity around the country.

gailwynand Apr 21, 2013 1:40 pm

There is a major shortage of ATC staff right now, a lot of people are retiring and they can't get new staff trained fast enough. Combine that with furloughs and cancelled overtime and you have a serious crunch.

Also, do we have any evidence that admin staff are not being furloughed? I would be surprised if that were the case.

Baze Apr 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by gailwynand (Post 20628600)
There is a major shortage of ATC staff right now, a lot of people are retiring and they can't get new staff trained fast enough. Combine that with furloughs and cancelled overtime and you have a serious crunch.

Also, do we have any evidence that admin staff are not being furloughed? I would be surprised if that were the case.

No evidence in this case other than experience in the work world. Years ago when I worked for the US Forest Service it was always the lower workers that got furloughed/laid off. Rarely did the management get it.

flyingnosh Apr 21, 2013 1:52 pm

My flight was on time when I arrived at the gate. Now it's 1 hour delayed. The GA read a prepared UA statement saying that it's because of the sequester and that we should all sign an online petition at dontgroundamerica dot com

halls120 Apr 21, 2013 2:00 pm

This is nothing more than the government trying to coerce taxpayers into paying more taxes through manipulation.

FlyinHawaiian Apr 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Let's try and keep the posts directly related to impacts to UA's operations, please. Some recent posts are leaning toward OMNI/PR Forum discussion items.

Thanks,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

demkr Apr 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by halls120

This is nothing more than the government trying to coerce taxpayers into paying more taxes through manipulation.

Yep.

JohnnyGlobal Apr 21, 2013 2:36 pm

No effects early this morning from ORD-LAX.

We're talking about a two percent cut here--and these federal agencies have WIDE discretion in how they absorb the cuts. If I had my salary cut two percent, it is conceivable that I could decide to starve my family. But smarter people find other, less painful ways to absorb the cuts. It's a shame that our government wants us to believe that they can't possibly spare another dime to help reduce our deficit. But I'm happy to cancel trips and stay home with my family if the FAA can't figure out how to save money without crippling our airports, and with it, our economy.

FlyWorld Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Based on this, I could already write the earnings release and probably come within 90% accuracy to what it will actually say. Hint: Bad earnings? Not our fault. It's the government's fault. Give us more bonuses.

Johnny Rocket Apr 21, 2013 3:07 pm

Mail warning to prepare for the worst... but things don't seem too bad... yet!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urloughed.html