Wiki Posts
Search

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Management is thinking that they need to (somehow) recoup the costs of those 60+ minute by phone changes + multiple calls + 3 supervisors + the 600+ agents hired. SHARES anyone?

...bleeding...bleeding...

...sad...sad...

David
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by unavaca
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I am switching to (Yuck) WN from now on when price is ~wash. Screw COdbaUA.
Enjoy your upfare to full Y when you want to standby/SDC.
Weak rebuttal IMO.

If my plans change by a couple of hours, there may be a tiny benefit to having booked UA. *

Anything else UA loses. I should say, the customer loses big.

* I can cancel and re-buy on day of travel on WN and circumvent full fare upgrade for standby, buckets permitting.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
It will be interesting to hear how this meshes with UA's stated goal/strategy to be a "business flyer" airline. I guess that goal from last year is officially dead when you combine this with all the other issues for elites. My personal experience is that change fees matter less to me on leisure travel since I have planned for the vacation. My changes tend to be on business flights, and this would help nudge me (and a lot of corporate travel managers) to AA (which even gave me a soft landing from EXP).
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:17 pm

Change Fee Increase to $200/300

Humbly disagree - change fees hammer families that book multiple tickets in advance only to have conflicts crop up closer to departure.

I recently ate $600 for family of 4. Never again.

A biz related change, well the biz eats the fee.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I'm surprised you of all people couldn't see the inference that many people believe United is being run by legacy CO people (HouCrew). And I did re-read the post, by saying "paging UA Insider for the latest spin from the HouCrew on this change we are going to like" that pretty much lumps UA Insider in with the "HouCrew."

He is most certainly not lumped in. His role at times is to disseminate information. That information comes from the HouCrew, not him himself.

Most major corporations have spokespeople who are paid to communicate what they're told. They're just regular people who go home at night like the rest of us. They don't have to agree with what they say, they just have to say it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:25 pm

At $250, maybe UA can start offering a "change fee award." Pay 25,000 miles to change your cash ticket. P.S. I remember paying $25 on AA in the 90s!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:37 pm

I booked one-way ~$150 YYZ-EWR UA flight 2 days ago (4/16) and if I recalled, the change fee was $200~$250 (yes, way more than the value of the flight, or my $250 TCVA voucher)

It's sad that change fee on long-haul Asian carriers are cheaper instead ($50 to $150)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I booked one-way ~$150 YYZ-EWR UA flight 2 days ago (4/16) and if I recalled, the change fee was $250 (yes, way more than the value of the flight, or my $250 TCVA voucher)

It's sad that change fee on long-haul Asian carriers are cheaper instead ($50 to $150)
Pre-departure change fee on SQ Flexi is ZERO. 2 free bags for any status (3 for Gold to/from US). More IFE, more food. Full mileage. And same or less fare.

I miss E+ and the true blue widebody transpac UNITED crews greatly. But the HouCrew have left me little choice.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Humbly disagree - change fees hammer families that book multiple tickets in advance only to have conflicts crop up closer to departure.

I recently ate $600 for family of 4. Never again.

A biz related change, well the biz eats the fee.
I agree with you. I too after many years went to WN. With Double Miles this year, I have earned 5 free tickets, basically on 7 roundtrips. I would've earned 7K in UA miles plus my 50% bonus. WN is the way to go. I always book last minute, so UA and WN have the same fare with WN allowing changes on my anytime or business select fare.

I'm going to earn 5 more free tickets by May 15th.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
It will be interesting to hear how this meshes with UA's stated goal/strategy to be a "business flyer" airline. I guess that goal from last year is officially dead when you combine this with all the other issues for elites. My personal experience is that change fees matter less to me on leisure travel since I have planned for the vacation. My changes tend to be on business flights, and this would help nudge me (and a lot of corporate travel managers) to AA (which even gave me a soft landing from EXP).
I've been nudged.

I can tell you that I just received today my status match to gold on VX. And tomorrow, when DL is more convenient, I'm flying it rather than waiting around to take UA. And oh, by the way, the DL discounted F was over $1,000 less than UA. And the plane has wifi. I've become a Kayaker...

Last edited by Marin 1K; Apr 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Y'all enjoy this crap-fest as it continues its downward spiral. This SO reinforces my decision to take my domestic flying to WN. The only thing I miss are the upgrades...of which I never got in my last year with UA, due to the fact that I was a lowly 1K.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
It's funny how a year ago people would be chastised for calling out UA Insider. Why would Aaron want to respond when being called the HouCrew??
Originally Posted by channa
If you re-read the post, the poster is asking UA Insider for the latest spin from the HouCrew. The poster is not referring to UA Insider as "HouCrew," but is only asking him to relay the details from the HouCrew.

Even then, is "HouCrew" an insult? Or is it just a term that acknowledges CO's proud heritage back in Houston? And, do we even know if Aaron is ex-CO or ex-UA.
I'm surprised you of all people couldn't see the inference that many people believe United is being run by legacy CO people (HouCrew). And I did re-read the post, by saying "paging UA Insider for the latest spin from the HouCrew on this change we are going to like" that pretty much lumps UA Insider in with the "HouCrew."
As channa correctly inferred I am not calling out UA Insider as a HouCrew member, just looking for the "reasonable explanation" that usually accompanies these kinds of "announcements" (discoveries in this case). It is financially impossible that it costs COdbaUA on average $200 on average for a reservation change. Forgive me for wanting a corporate explanation.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
I like what AA does. For about $25 you can book with a no change fee for changes. Since on AA booking early is the tiebreaker for EXP upgrades, this allows me to book far into the future with limited risk. AA started this about the first of the year.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
I miss E+ and the true blue widebody transpac UNITED crews greatly. But the HouCrew have left me little choice.
^ I couldn't agree more, I had sUA crews both ways across the pond recently... compared to sCO it's night and day.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Given that change fees are purely a relic of the past and not indicative of the amount of work involved to change a ticket.....

And given that Kettles (and probably most business travelers) don't consider the cost of changing a ticket WHEN BOOKING THE TICKET.....

Why stop at $200/$300? Why not make it $500? How about $1000? How about 10% of your AJI from your most recent 1040?

Arguing about what is a reasonable change fee is like debating the intrinsic value of an ounce of gold! There are no fundamental arguments for either one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.