Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Likelihood of Gold Elite with K fare upgrade LHR -LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the likelihood of my getting an upgrade on a LHR-LAX rt that I have coming up. I have a K class ticket and I am a gold elite.

(I am also a total newb and I have googled around for this answer, so please be gentle if I am an idiot and missed something obvious.)

I just few LHR to Boston via Zurich on a UA (but on a Swiss plane) W class and got upgraded. I just reached gold status and have previously never, ever been upgraded on a transatlantic flight (actually, on any flight ever) so I was thrilled. I was a little sad when on my open jawed return on LAX-LHR my neighbor got pulling into business class and I was left in coach.

So, I was wondering if I had any shot at all of getting upgraded on this next trip. OR what class of ticket I need to shoot for to have some likelihood of getting an upgrade?

Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Roar
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the likelihood of my getting an upgrade on a LHR-LAX rt that I have coming up. I have a K class ticket and I am a gold elite.

(I am also a total newb and I have googled around for this answer, so please be gentle if I am an idiot and missed something obvious.)

I just few LHR to Boston via Zurich on a UA (but on a Swiss plane) W class and got upgraded. I just reached gold status and have previously never, ever been upgraded on a transatlantic flight (actually, on any flight ever) so I was thrilled. I was a little sad when on my open jawed return on LAX-LHR my neighbor got pulling into business class and I was left in coach.

So, I was wondering if I had any shot at all of getting upgraded on this next trip. OR what class of ticket I need to shoot for to have some likelihood of getting an upgrade?

Thank you.
Your chance of getting upgraded is very tiny if not impossible for a K fare on UA metal over the ocean!

Having said that, I did get OP-up for a TPAC K fare last month :-)

Last edited by lax2010; Apr 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reason: OP-up
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... So, I was wondering if I had any shot at all of getting upgraded on this next trip. OR what class of ticket I need to shoot for to have some likelihood of getting an upgrade? ....
very low for an unsupported, non-UA elite. Slightly better for an UA elite but only if Y is overbooked and you are among the most senior elites in economy. Does it happen yes, but my guess is we are talking single digit percentages across a broad sample?

UA does not comp upgrade TATL/TPAC unless there is a need (over sold economy). UA will fly with empty seats in business.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA
Yeah, I think you got really, really lucky on your Op-up on LX on the ZRH-BOS leg.

As far as I know, you would not get upgraded on LHR-LAX on UA metal unless you paid for the upgrade via $$ or miles.

CPU's seem to only work on certain routes, not TATL flights.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../upgrades.aspx

and

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

Perhaps others can chime in on GPU success on such a route.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Thank you.

What class of ticket does one need in order to have a reasonable shot at getting upgraded?

Thanks again.

(Ah, I just saw the response re not comping upgrades on transatlantic flights unless coach is oversold. Sigh. Oh well.)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...What class of ticket does one need in order to have a reasonable shot at getting upgraded? ....
unsupported (no use of GPUs / miles)?? -- fares is no a factor. Status will be the first factor. GS & 1K and then Gold.

GS/1Ks using GPUs need to have at least W fares and many times are unsuccessful. Have heard of fails with B fares on difficult flights. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-2013-a.html
Old Apr 7, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you again.

(And you all might be amused to know I have been deciphering the lingo on the fly...TATL/TPAC, op-up, CPUs, GPUs...at the moment it's all Greek. ;-)

I am more of an accidental Gold, and I am not really that into flying (because it's such a cattle car experience for me most of the time) but it looks like I am going to be flying more often, so I have to start trying to understand how all this works so I can make life a tiny bit better.

Thank you all for your input.

(Oh, and I am a UA Gold Elite, fwiw.)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you again.

(And you all might be amused to know I have been deciphering the lingo on the fly...TATL/TPAC, op-up, CPUs, GPUs...at the moment it's all Greek. ;-)

I am more of an accidental Gold, and I am not really that into flying (because it's such a cattle car experience for me most of the time) but it looks like I am going to be flying more often, so I have to start trying to understand how all this works so I can make life a tiny bit better.

Thank you all for your input.

(Oh, and I am a UA Gold Elite, fwiw.)
Complimentary upgrades are not available for transatlantic and transpacific routes. You must use miles and (usually) dollars to upgrade. You were extremely lucky to be upgraded on your previous trip. I wouldn't count on it occurring again. Your status does get you access to E+ seating at booking and Star Alliance lounges when traveling internationally.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
I'll be a little more extreme: You have no chance of an upgrade as a *G without an instrument (someone sponsoring your upgrade) or miles plus copay. On my numerous trips LHR-LAX, I have never seen BF go out with an empty seat (although others may chime in otherwise), and have had my GPU go unused as a 1K on a W or higher fare class, thus relegating me to E+ on this leg.

While it is certainly possible for an op-up as some previous posters have noted, you would still be behind any other GS or 1K for that privilege. I don't see that happening - ever...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - To clarify. There are no CPU's on your route. There are no freebies other than in one limited circumstance and that is the operational need of the air carrier.

That most often occurs when Y is oversold and there is a seat up front. UA will UG a GS or perhaps a 1K if no GS into the premium seat to free up the Y seat for the overbooked pax.

But, barring that circumstance, UA will send out the premium cabin empty before it gives it away to general pax.

To put this in perspective, you will only be UG if there is an oversell in Y and there are no GS, 1K or Plat on the flight.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have never had an international op-up from coach to business in 27 years with United (most of it as 1K, and Prem Exec 75K before that). Even recently, I've had multiple M and B fares across the ocean where GPUs didn't even clear (even last week).
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Things have likely changed, but the 2nd UA flight I ever took (maybe 2004?) both Mrs. GBadger (at that time girlfriend GBadger) and myself were upgraded from Y to J for AMS-ORD. Neither of us had any sort of status.

Things happen, and I would never say never.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I too, in the range of 4-8 years ago, had two Y -> J op-ups without having any status. I just went to the counter, asked if I could sit up front, the GA took my BP, and handed me a J BP. I think those days are over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.