Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concentrate miles or split?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Concentrate miles or split?

My spouse and I both have MP accounts. I've drained mine down to about 25k while hers is about 400k. Going forward, I can concentrate CC spending in either account to divide between the two. What is the FT collective wisdom? Should I concentrate discretionary miles into her account, build mine back up, of split evenly? Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Most flexibility is to concentration miles in the single account with the highest status.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Most flexibility is to concentration miles in the single account with the highest status.
I'd agree. Having the miles in the account with highest status allows for the benefits of that level to be applied to the ticket. Recently found this out the hard way booking an award ticket on my mom's account (no status), meaning no free E+ as check in and a higher booking fee.

Also would definitely recommend concentrating rather than splitting. I can't think of a benefit that splitting would have as you can book flights for multiple travelers on one account.

Hope that helps, happy flying!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to UA.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
I'd agree. Having the miles in the account with highest status allows for the benefits of that level to be applied to the ticket. Recently found this out the hard way booking an award ticket on my mom's account (no status), meaning no free E+ as check in and a higher booking fee.

Also would definitely recommend concentrating rather than splitting. I can't think of a benefit that splitting would have as you can book flights for multiple travelers on one account.

Hope that helps, happy flying!
I understand the higher fee for booking close to the date but why no E+;
You just need to apply your MP number to the reservation and then call the elite line and ask for an E+ seat;
Since you have elite silver you could have not chosen E+ before check in though.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by keisari
I understand the higher fee for booking close to the date but why no E+;
You just need to apply your MP number to the reservation and then call the elite line and ask for an E+ seat;
Since you have elite silver you could have not chosen E+ before check in though.
The website was not allowing me to put my MP # in at booking, but at check in it somehow took and I got my free E+ seat. As I don't get E+ until check-in, it would have been a little tight to call the elite line as those precious exit rows would probably start filling up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.