Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA captain diverts flight, removes pax because of IFE complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I wonder if the passenger attempted to push up the screen on their own (thus their determination that it "clearly could" be folded up independently). I think a passenger fiddling around with equipment on the aircraft is definitely grounds for a diversion especially if the capitan cannot see exactly what they are doing.
I disagree. In this instance, everyone knew what the passenger was trying to do (whether he did it or not) and diverting the plane was not at all justified.
I wonder what kind of response/compensation they got from UA.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I wonder whether it's the same pilot from this 2009 incident: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...july-13-a.html

(via http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...endant-329737/ ):
Appears the Captain is a fan of Cartman and South Park...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flavorflav
Probably because it was the cheapest film they could buy.
And by the looks of it, this is another 'penny-wise pound-foolish' decision that will take a few shares out of United's bank account.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
As others have said, be prepared to keep your kids occupied. We pack our son's backpack with enough stuff to keep him preoccupied as soon as those doors close. Complaining about the movie with others is a waste of time. Turn off the monitor and someone will complain to UA that the IFE wasn't working and will ask for compensation.

Question is whether a diversion was necessary. Assume UA management will look into this issue if crew did time out and the cost involved. Since we don't know full story, we are all speculating but by number of posts here, guess we all like to speculate

However, we all quickly blame the pilot/purser but there are plenty of jerks out there that we've seen on every flight/train/bus that we've been on.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by waxearwings
I ask this as a legitimate question to those saying we didn't get the full story. I agree, but what possible story would be consistent with the facts as we know them, but also justify the captain's actions. I usually give the crew (and it could have been an FA who heavily influenced the Capt's decision, so I don't think he should automatically get the blame) the benefit of the doubt, but I am struggling to come up with reasonable scenarios here, even though my first instinct on reading the complaint was that the parents seem annoying and self-righteous (yeah, I'm sure extra "the carbon footprint" of the flight kept them up at night).
I have a feeling the parents were self-righteous and expect the world to comfort to their values and instead of being realistic and dealing with the situation in a more responsible manner. I was on a flight in FC recently and an economy passenger asked the FA's before take-off that no nut products of any kind be served on the plane because she had a severe peanut allergy. The FA's came to the cockpit and informed the pilot and he said that the lady was welcome to take another flight but that they were not going to quarantine the whole plane for her benefit. She stayed, nuts were served in FC and she lived to tell about it.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
If UA wanted to save money, they could just get rid of the video programming on the overhead screens and show the flight information instead. I'd actually prefer that; I can't think of a single time they have shown something I wanted to watch.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I just spoke to my wife (former UA FA), they cannot lift one screen up only. I let her know the story, and she believes the Pilot was doing what he/she needed to do. She has seen it in the past, where the Flight Crew deals with it from a parent/passenger and they all wished for a diversion. We don't know the full story, but she was proud of the pilot for stepping up instead of the crew taking a beating from this passenger. Again, she doesn't know the entire story but has been in similar situations.
Law enforcement interviewed all the parties involved. No one was arrested or tried. UA allowed the family to travel on a different aircraft. Therefore the pilot over reacted.

That said, the family should have sucked it up.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by gailwynand
If UA wanted to save money, they could just get rid of the video programming on the overhead screens and show the flight information instead. I'd actually prefer that; I can't think of a single time they have shown something I wanted to watch.
I have to agree... it's too easy to bring a laptop or iGadget and watch whatever movie you want.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by sammyindc
I disagree. In this instance, everyone knew what the passenger was trying to do (whether he did it or not) and diverting the plane was not at all justified.
I wonder what kind of response/compensation they got from UA.
I would prefer that UA prevent all passengers from tampering with the aircraft (including forcing electrically operated equipment back to move uncommanded). If the passenger does not comply I would support removing them from the aircraft.

At this point it's all speculation, but I agree with others here that there is almost certainly additional information that has not been provided.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gailwynand
I have on a few occasions seen a movie in-flight which I enjoyed. In general, I bring my own entertainment, but there have been a handful of films I actually tuned into.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems to me UA (pilot/purser/whoever) has confused a customer service issue with a security issue.

Newsflash...a complaining customer is not a security threat.

I admit that we are only hearing one side of this "story", but the truly sad part of all this: I don't doubt for an instant that (some) UA staff really use "security" as rationale for anything they don't want to deal with....
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
I have on a few occasions seen a movie in-flight which I enjoyed. In general, I bring my own entertainment, but there have been a handful of films I actually tuned into.
Moonrise Kingdom was awesome, especially as thoughtful PG-13 fare that would go above young kids' heads but by no means warrant covering their eyes. That's the kind of movie UA should be showing on the main screen. ^

I also miss the blocks of independent short films that PMUA sometimes showed, and high-brow cable shows like This American Life. Nothing wrong with pedestrian sitcoms either, as OP noted.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Someone wondered how big a jerk that passenger May have been? Let me ask you a ?
When is the last time you actually expected several rows of people to not watch a movie because you were too thoughtless to bring your own entertainment
I have flown with 3 kids many many times and never considered that my whim was enough to determine what others watched or did onboard
I have seen those types of folks and the sense of entitlement is astonishing
What if other passengers were too intimidated to speak up?
Clearly we need to hear other opinions but the parents can control their environment not everyone else's and they should have come prepared
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:26 pm

PG-13 appropriateness can certainly vary widely. Take a look at Alex Cross's ratings in other countries v/s another PG-13 rated moved "Dumb and Dumber"... (From IMDB)

Alex Cross: Rated PG-13 for violence including disturbing images, sexual content, language, drug references, and nudity
Certification:
USA:PG-13 (certificate #47519) / Australia:M / Canada:14A (Ontario) / Netherlands:16 / Philippines:R-13 / Ireland:15A / UK:15 / Hong Kong:IIB / Singapore:NC-16 / Brazil:14 / Portugal:M/16 / Japan:G / South Korea:18 / Germany:16

Dumb & Dumber:Rated PG-13 for off-color humor
Certification:
Argentina:Atp / Australia:PG / Canada:14 (Nova Scotia) / Canada:G (Quebec) / Canada:PA (Manitoba) / Canada:PG (Ontario) / Finland:K-8 / Germany:12 / Netherlands:MG6 / Norway:11 / Portugal:M/12 / Singapore:PG / Spain:7 / Sweden:11 / UK:12 / USA:PG-13 (NO. 33160) / Ireland:15 / Iceland:L / USA:PG-13 / USA:Not Rated (unrated DVD version) / South Korea:12 / Canada:14A / New Zealand:PG / Italy:T

So just checking a few of these other countries ratings, it looks like children un 13 could not even be admitted to Alex Cross at all in the Philippines, no one under 16 in singapore. No one und 15 without an adult in Ireland.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom

I am split on the movie choice - can't comment on that particular movie, but on the otherhand I think children's movies for a flight where 99% of the plane is over the age of 21 is also There should be a happy medium.
Agreed. Seems like we're in a catch 22 with this thread. Sure, maybe Alex Cross isn't suitable for kids. Then again, a few months ago playing Monte Carlo for a plane full of people 21+ when that movie was meant for 12 year olds is

I think if the parents didn't approve of the movie, they should've either checked out the entertainment listings prior to flight and planned iPads, or other modes of child entertainment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.