Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA842 [GRU-ORD] Diversion to MIA on July 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:08 am
Lux
Original Poster

I'm not a regular in this forum (although am travelling UA in a couple of days' time) but caught this story on a well-informed website which might be of interest:
Details to be confirmed, I should caution, but an extraordinary tale if true.

If you're quick you can see here that UA 842 from Sao Paulo to Chicago O'Hare diverted into Miami this morning. That's a pretty serious decision of course - adding an unexpected stop to what is already getting on for a seven hour flight.

Here's what United is saying about it on its website:

[Image of an unscheduled stop en-route]

So what is that 'customer service' issue exactly? Well, I'm told it's the small matter of the captain not liking the attitude of one of the flight attendants. Yikes! Anyone know anymore?
Doubtless more will emerge during the day.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 14, 2009 at 7:35 am Reason: added city pairs and date
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a relatively non-issue as the flight departed MIA shortly after landing and arrived in Chicago only 48 minutes late.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:24 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Wow, that 'well-informed website' sure is full of hyperbole.

'extraordinary tale if true'

Yep, really extraordinary to see a flight diverted. What planet are they living on?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:58 am

The extraordinary part might have been the captain's decision to divert because of the attitude of a flight attendant.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I can't imagine the captain will be working for UA much longer if the decision to divert was simply due to them "not liking the attitude" of one of the FA's. These kind of landings easily cost UA thousands of $$ per incident, and UA, much less any airline, certainly can't afford that, especially right now.

There's got to be much more to this story.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Remember the days when GRU-MIA on United was not a diversion but an actual route?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by hur88
The extraordinary part might have been the captain's decision to divert because of the attitude of a flight attendant.
Unless one is on the flight, one can never trust whavever source especailly there is nowhere to back up the story.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Remember the days when GRU-MIA on United was not a diversion but an actual route?
Remember it well, arriving from GRU in August before 6 am with couple of hours before my connection I thought it might be nice for stroll nearby.............the automatic doors opened then the heat and humidity overwhelmed me before I had even gotten outside.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 7:26 pm

[KVS Availability Tool 5.0.1/Diamond - WSpan Operational Info: UA 842/13 Jul 2009]
Code:
F:842/13JUL                                                     
GRU/1941CT/OFF   940P  .09L SECU                                
ORD/0832CT/IN    645A  .48L CREW    OFF   832A                  
LAX/1221CT/IN   1019A  .02E                                     
      ARRIVAL       BAGGAGE         DEPARTURE                   
   TERMINAL GATE   CLAIM AREA     TERMINAL GATE                 
GRU                                  CHK   G10                  
ORD   CHK   M10      IT              CHK   C11                  
LAX   CHK   77       3                                          
>
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Unless one is on the flight, one can never trust whavever source especailly there is nowhere to back up the story.
Well I guess the FAA, UA spokesperson, and other's are not enough?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...attendant.html

Seems like a very strange incident.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I can't wait to hear the follow up on this. It'll be nice to hear who is canned.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh
Well I guess the FAA, UA spokesperson, and other's are not enough?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...attendant.html

Seems like a very strange incident.
Well it is now that you confirmed it..... The original article only said:

Well, I'm told it's the small matter of the captain not liking the attitude of one of the flight attendants. Yikes! Anyone know anymore?
Before that we were all pretty well in the dark. And I wan't going to take the above quote as gospel.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Well it is now that you confirmed it..... The original article only said:

Before that we were all pretty well in the dark. And I wan't going to take the above quote as gospel.
it was a little tongue-in-cheek but there seemed to be something to it from the beginning.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
UA Captain Diverts GRU-ORD to MIA in Order to De-plan Purser?

Saw this on flight global -- anyone here head anything about it?
Full Story

United Airlines is conducting an internal investigation after one of its captains diverted a flight to deplane a senior flight attendant who he argued with. Flight 842 from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Chicago O'Hare diverted to Miami early in the morning of 14 July midway through the scheduled 6hr 45min non-stop flight. A source familiar with the incident says the captain ordered the purser of the Boeing 767 to leave the aircraft because he was "not respecting his authority". The aircraft was on the ground for about an hour and arrived at Chicago just over an hour late.

A United spokeswoman says: "The pilot chose to divert the flight due to a crew issue". "The captain felt the matter needed to be resolved on the ground, an FAA spokesman says. The aircraft landed without incident in Miami and was on the ground for less than hour before departing to Chicago, he adds. Exact details of the incident have not been disclosed and United is investigating the matter to make sure that the decision to divert the aircraft was appropriate, the FAA spokesman says.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. . .anyone here head anything about it?
I think so; someone started a thread about it two days ago when it happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.