Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise Upgrade to E-Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.668 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

A family member of mine was booked on an int'l United flight in Economy (fare class L). When they logged on to the United website to check in, they were automatically assigned a seat in Economy Plus (even though the ticket still read "United Economy" for cabin information). After going through the check in process, the printed boarding pass reflects her E+ seat and now says "Economy Plus". Can this family member assume United will honor this welcome surprise? Or will they be disappointed tomorrow at the airport? Has anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks!

Last edited by capedreamer; Apr 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If you don't choose a seat in advance and all the regular E seats are assigned at the time you check in, you will automatically get a E+ seat.

You can't depend on it (by waiting until check in to get a seat assignment, you could just as easily get a middle seat in the last row), but it's a nice surprise when it happens. Tell your family member to enjoy the extra room.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AC888
... Has anyone else experienced this before? ...
Sound like a flight where E- was full and those without prior seat assignments were given E+ seating. And yes it will stick (assuming no change in aircraft) even if E- becomes available.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

This is excellent news. Thanks, guys!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Been a while since I've seen someone get so excited by E+, the wheels of time are ch-urning...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by GDaoV
Been a while since I've seen someone get so excited by E+, the wheels of time are ch-urning...
And just see how they react if they are rebooked through irrop onto an airline that offers "real" Y+ seats and service (eg QF, CX)...
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GDaoV
Don't think it has anything to do with time. For a family member who doesn't fly a lot, wasn't expecting this, and will be facing a 15 hour flight, this is very welcome news.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Hmm...the mystery deepens. My relative just told me that she asked her travel agent to select seats near the front when booking (months ago), and the travel agent was able to grab this seat. Any idea how that might have happened?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.668 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

(even though the ticket still read "United Economy" for cabin information).
It's important to remember that going from E- to E+ is not an "upgrade" in the sense that the word is used in these circles. Whether in E- or E+, the ticket is still always going to say "United Economy." They're not separate classes of service.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cpyankees25
It's important to remember that going from E- to E+ is not an "upgrade" in the sense that the word is used in these circles. Whether in E- or E+, the ticket is still always going to say "United Economy." They're not separate classes of service.
If I was in that situation, I would call it an upgrade. The semantics can sit in E-.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
The agent probably bought her E+ seats and charged her for it....
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Certain travel agents can access premium seats without additional charge, but there's no way to make it stick in case of IRROP or schedule changes.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If I was in that situation, I would call it an upgrade. The semantics can sit in E-.
I understand it's semantics, but the OP was using it in a way that showed he thought it was a mistake on UA's part, and something that would have the potential to not be honored upon arrival to airport. If you know that E- and E+ are still the same class of service and that it's not an "upgrade" from one to another, then there'd be no reason to question a random or unexpected seat assignment in E+.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Certain travel agents can access premium seats without additional charge, but there's no way to make it stick in case of IRROP or schedule changes.
This sounds like the most likely scenario. Out of curiosity, do you know why certain travel agents have this ability?

Originally Posted by cpyankees25
I understand it's semantics, but the OP was using it in a way that showed he thought it was a mistake on UA's part, and something that would have the potential to not be honored upon arrival to airport. If you know that E- and E+ are still the same class of service and that it's not an "upgrade" from one to another, then there'd be no reason to question a random or unexpected seat assignment in E+.
The reason it felt like a "mistake" to me is because when I pulled up her reservation on UA's website, it showed that she was booked in E- and provided an opportunity to upgrade / buy-up to E+ for $X. At the same time, the seat assignment already showed her seated in E+. Seemed a bit glitchy to me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2013 at 8:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The reason it felt like a "mistake" to me is because when I pulled up her reservation on UA's website, it showed that she was booked in E- and provided an opportunity to upgrade / buy-up to E+ for $X. At the same time, the seat assignment already showed her seated in E+. Seemed a bit glitchy to me.
This is similar to what happens when in other context where someone has gotten E+ for free but is not entitled to it on their own, e.g. when an elite calls and gets E+ for someone on a different PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.