Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Space invaded ... by a FA!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by demkr
I was not referring specifically to the OP, just an issue in general on UA flights with half the pax closing the windows before taxiing during the day, and FAs demanding that the windows be closed during the movie.
Well, in your original unedited post, I think you had said you were glad that the FA forced him to open it, hence my comment.

In general, I agree that the nocturnalness is sorta weird and pervasive.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Well, in your original unedited post, I think you had said you were glad that the FA forced him to open it, hence my comment.

In general, I agree that the nocturnalness is sorta weird and pervasive.
Oh, I see. It is strange because I notice it mainly on UA flights. And there seems to be a complaint if someone leaves it open even during the day. I guess I can understand early in the morning but I feel like the majority of F cabin closes up for the entire flight
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
Oh, I see. It is strange because I notice it mainly on UA flights. And there seems to be a complaint if someone leaves it open even during the day. I guess I can understand early in the morning but I feel like the majority of F cabin closes up for the entire flight
Yeah. The other thing is that there is a way to deal with light (eyeshades) if the shades are up, but the reading lights on some of the planes are so bad that it can actually be quite hard to read when the shades are down.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Perhaps you would like to provide some legal authority for that conclusory statement as such a limitation is not found in the statute.
I believe the statute is quite clear that the requirement to follow instructions are limited to the items listed in the FAR quoted below (bolding mine). The only other general prohibition they sometime cite is the general interference with a crewmember in the performance of their assigned duty but in general it is difficult to show not doing something is interference.

prev | next
§ 121.571
Briefing passengers before takeoff.
(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:
(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:
(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title ). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:28 pm

For the record, just since this distinction is important to me (and probably no one else), the CFR is not statute.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated.
14 C.F.R. § 91.11

No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.
14 C.F.R. § 121.580

No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.
14 C.F.R. § 125.328

14 C.F.R. § 135.120

Interference with a crewmember has been defined by courts as including failure to comply with instructions given by crewmembers, e.g.:

[O]nce instructed by an authorized airline representative to leave the plane, the plaintiff had a duty to obey.
Schaeffer v. Cavallero (S.D.N.Y. 1999) 54 F.Supp.2d 350, 352 [citing 14 C.F.R. § 91.11.]

For the record, just since this distinction is important to me (and probably no one else), the CFR is not statute.
You are correct, but they do have the force of law since they define and implement the authorizing statute.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 31, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:24 pm

You are correct, but they do have the force of law since they define and implement the authorizing statute.
Sure, assuming that they're within the statutory ambit, not arbitrary and capricious, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Sure, assuming that they're within the statutory ambit, not arbitrary and capricious, etc.
Of course. Agencies seem to be given tremendous latitude, however, so it is not often regulations are thrown out by the courts.

Look how far the TSA has run with their authorizing statute.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there's an area of confusion here regarding criminal actions and non-criminal acts which can get you removed from the aircraft based on the airline's Contract of Carriage. In short, there are things you can do that will not result in arrest and criminal prosecution, but can result in the airline legally removing you from the aircraft and refusing to provide transport. I give you the following example from a CoC under the "Refusal to Transport" section:

"When the passenger attempts to interfere with any member of the flight crew in the pursuit of his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew."

So you can claim moral victory that nothing you have done was illegal while watching your plane depart without you aboard
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
So you can claim moral victory that nothing you have done was illegal while watching your plane depart without you aboard
This.

Ignoring all of the other issues (like the fact that the regs are probably unconstitutional as applied to someone who merely talks back to an FA), it ain't gonna help you if you're still on the ground. That's why, unless you have a lot of time on your hands, it's usually better to just shut up.

Of course, if it weren't for people who cast aside such self-interest, we wouldn't have the civil rights that we have.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LBJ
I think there's an area of confusion here regarding criminal actions and non-criminal acts which can get you removed from the aircraft based on the airline's Contract of Carriage. In short, there are things you can do that will not result in arrest and criminal prosecution, but can result in the airline legally removing you from the aircraft and refusing to provide transport. I give you the following example from a CoC under the "Refusal to Transport" section:

"When the passenger attempts to interfere with any member of the flight crew in the pursuit of his or her duties, or fails to obey the instruction of any member of the flight crew."

+1 - People mixing apples & oranges. Whether there is a criminal prosecution, a civil fine or you are simply punted by the Captain who has the final say, are three different propositions. Whether you are simply booted off the flight or booted off the carrier for a little R&R are different issues.

Passive agressive fights with air crew are losing propositions,
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Sounds like she was just having a bad day and used BS to get things her way.

Shades do not have to be up while on the ground. In hot climates, they often keep them down to help keep the plane cool.
+1

For example in DFW throughout the summer you'll be instructed upon landing to lower the shades and turn on your air vents to keep the plane cool.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Just think if the OP had said "sure no problem, can I do it when you close the door?" I bet this thread wouldn't exist.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Perhaps you would like to provide some legal authority for that conclusory statement as such a limitation is not found in the statute.
Actually the limitation is defined by the statute itself - a crew member cannot give an order or command which is not supported by either a federal statute or documented airline procedure.

For example, a crew member cannot legally instruct you to stand on your head, remove your clothing, spend the flight in the restroom, chew your food before swallowing, not read Time Magazine, etc.

The fiasco about the photography incident was a fine line - UA has a policy prohibiting photography of equipment and procedures, but that was not what the victim of that incident was doing - not to mention the mentally unstable state of the FA in question contributed to their over-reaction.

Now being booted off a flight is at the discretion of the crew - so while you can be removed from a flight, you cannot be charged with interfering if all you did was refuse to comply with an unenforceable crew member instruction.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by bocastephen
For example, a crew member cannot legally instruct you to stand on your head, remove your clothing, spend the flight in the restroom, chew your food before swallowing, not read Time Magazine, etc.
Thanks bocastephen. I was having trouble coming up with analogies and these are perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.