FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Space invaded ... by a FA!
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:18 pm
n9536j

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Perhaps you would like to provide some legal authority for that conclusory statement as such a limitation is not found in the statute.
I believe the statute is quite clear that the requirement to follow instructions are limited to the items listed in the FAR quoted below (bolding mine). The only other general prohibition they sometime cite is the general interference with a crewmember in the performance of their assigned duty but in general it is difficult to show not doing something is interference.

prev | next
§ 121.571
Briefing passengers before takeoff.
(a) Each certificate holder operating a passenger-carrying airplane shall insure that all passengers are orally briefed by the appropriate crewmember as follows:
(1) Before each takeoff, on each of the following:
(i) Smoking. Each passenger shall be briefed on when, where, and under what conditions smoking is prohibited including, but not limited to, any applicable requirements of part 252 of this title ). This briefing shall include a statement that the Federal Aviation Regulations require passenger compliance with the lighted passenger information signs, posted placards, areas designated for safety purposes as no smoking areas, and crewmember instructions with regard to these items. The briefing shall also include a statement that Federal law prohibits tampering with, disabling, or destroying any smoke detector in an airplane lavatory; smoking in lavatories; and, when applicable, smoking in passenger compartments.