Search

copa rant

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:46 pm
war
Original Poster

Programs: united lifetime gold aa ex plat starwood plat
copa rant

I booked lax-pty-gig-pty-lax in Q to earn %150 pqms and then used two rpu's to upgrade. Two of the four segments were upgraded but i was told that i would have two keep calling back periodically to request the other two because upgrades are not automatic. I have done this once a week for a month now with no success. Today i received an email from copa asking me if i would like to bid at a chance for the other two upgrades. Am I wrong in feeling like i have already jumped through enough hoops or is this just the finer workings of capitalism.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think ExpertFlyer shows Copa space, and you can alert off of it.

I don't know which is better -- Copa won't waitlist you and tell you to check back, or CO that claims to waitlist you, but then doesn't really clear it in real time, and you can call back to jump it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
With all due respect, you'll be getting a lot of benefit from two RPUs if the upgrades do clear. It's probably worth a little hoop jumping, so to speak. COPA is a special niche in the MP ecology and should be approached a little differently.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
See it yourself:

Upgrades - Frequently asked questions - copaair.com

20. What are the criteria for determining an upgrade to Business Class?

Upgrades to Business Class are not guaranteed. They will first depend on the seats availability after all courtesy upgrades of Premier Members have been given. And, afterwards, on the offers that are received.
Bid as you wish. But if your RPUs do not get cleared, neither the upgrade by bidding.

Basically, the Plusgrade will be similar to TODs Upgrade but in the lowest upgrade priority.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:48 am
war
Original Poster

Programs: united lifetime gold aa ex plat starwood plat
The problem is every time i check with star alliance desk they tell me the flight shows full but copa is asking in an email to bid on an upgrade on those very same seats. Is it full or is space available and if it is available it is against their policy not to upgrade my ticket before bidders.

20. What are the criteria for determining an upgrade to Business Class?
Upgrades to Business Class are not guaranteed. They will first depend on the seats availability after all courtesy upgrades of Premier Members have been given. And, afterwards, on the offers that are received.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by war
The problem is every time i check with star alliance desk they tell me the flight shows full but copa is asking in an email to bid on an upgrade on those very same seats. Is it full or is space available and if it is available it is against their policy not to upgrade my ticket before bidders.....
are they telling you the flight is full or that there is no upgrade space? there is a difference.
As for the paid upgrade, there may be different inventory for them (it is now on the new united) --- upgrades by CPU or upgrades by RPU or upgrades by $$$ are all considered different and depend on different inventory space. (Not the way the old united did it but is becoming more common among carriers.)

A simple test for a full cabin is to attempt to purchase a paid ticket -- likely you can do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.