Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Showers Are Available at ORD C16 & GRU For All

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showers Are Available at ORD C16 & GRU For All

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:41 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
In deed good news and makes me want to route through ORD instead of IAD.
Other posts implied this, but just to be explicit -- the LH lounge in IAD has lovely showers. I actually used them yesterday. I have a ridiculous number of connections through IAD so far this year, and at this point I feel like I should get my mail forwarded to the LH lounge. It's not actually all that much less convenient than the UC (maybe 10 minutes walk/train each way from the C gates?), and I head over there anytime I have a layover more than 90 minutes.

I think the only circumstance where I'd intentionally choose to route through ORD instead would be on a shower-worthy itinerary where for whatever reason I couldn't get a 90+ minute layover. Otherwise, I'd take IAD for the better booze, less crowding, and hot buffet.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by wcj1
I cannot find this in previous threads and thought it warranted its own post/thread. (Watch, someone will post the link to where this was before. Apologies in advance.)

There are showers available to all at the ORD C16 Club.

These are the (IFL) showers referenced in this thread. The rep working the shower room said they were opened up to all in January.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ord-gone.html

We are regular United Club members and I was checking the united.com website on our layover on Saturday and saw the shower icon for the C16 club. We were sitting in the B18 club, so I asked there to confirm and they said yes.

When we got to C16, we asked how to access them at the big service desk and the rep said first that we had to have a paper boarding pass. (We have not used a shower at a United Club before, so we do not know if that is procedure, but it seemed odd.) She then called back to see if showers were available. They were, so I am not sure how it is managed when there is a wait.

Other than the showers being accessible to more people, I assume nothing is different. My boyfriend wondered if the amenity kits would eventually be downgraded.
I used the shower facilities and had only the mobile boarding pass. The agent at the big service desk prints out a paper boarding pass and called back to the shower facilities to check whether the shower rooms are occupied before sending me over. I believe the GF passengers have priority but I think if you are coming in between GF flights departure/arrival, it is fairly quiet. I think there is about 3-4 shower rooms and they do provide the amenities kit inside the shower room.

I personally think that it is not sustainable. The last time I took a shower at the NRT IFL shower facilities, there wasn't any amenities kit inside the room except for small bottles of shampoo etc (the one you find in the 3F UC). May be they had ran out as this was the only time that I had used the NRT IFL shower facilities whereby there is not an amenities kit in the shower room.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I noticed yesterday that .bomb said there were showers available at the ORD UC at C16. It's great to know that this is indeed true! I wonder how long the wait times will be.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Good news.

I wonder if there are any plans in the works for SFO or IAD, the two other big int'l gateways.
The United Clubs in DEN have showers.... they just work intermittently. Like when the roof leaks.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Thanks for the heads up about the Club at C16 and showers. I just got in from BKK, read the post and headed over. It was great.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hobo13
The United Clubs in DEN have showers.... they just work intermittently. Like when the roof leaks.
LOL.

I think they're supposed to be building a new club at SFO when the new pier opens. If that happens, and they put showers in there, that would take care of the SFO situation.

IAD is another story.

DEN doesn't do too much INTL traffic, so I don't think it's on the radar for showers. CO didn't have showers in CLE.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:13 pm

LOL.

I think they're supposed to be building a new club at SFO when the new pier opens. If that happens, and they put showers in there, that would take care of the SFO situation.

IAD is another story.

DEN doesn't do too much INTL traffic, so I don't think it's on the radar for showers. CO didn't have showers in CLE.
I have never seen any indication that a new club will be built at SFO, although it is a long hike from Concourse E to the UC at the rotunda. The floorplan of E that I saw did not show space for a club although they might be able to build one near Gate 68 but there still does not seem to be enough space even for a small UC.

There is a plan to consolidate all of the LAX United lounges, including the F lounge, along the walkway between T6 and T-7. They might have showers there eventually.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Showers are available at ORD C16 for all

Hey this is tangible good news. I am connecting via red eye there next week and this would be a great option.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Anyone know if the showers at ORD are open the same hours as the United Club?
Huh, yeah, I wonder about that. I would be surprised if the hours were very different.

Of course the backup option at ORD is the landside Hilton Health Club, day pass for ~$15, budget an hour in transit to walk outside and through underground tunnels to the attached hotel & re-clear security.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Last time I was through IAD, the desk clerk at IGF lounge specifically referred me to LH SEN club when I asked about a shower. Not exactly convenient.

Anyone know if the showers at ORD are open the same hours as the United Club?

Huh, yeah, I wonder about that. I would be surprised if the hours were very different.

Of course the backup option at ORD is the landside Hilton Health Club, day pass for ~$15, budget an hour in transit to walk outside and through underground tunnels to the attached hotel & re-clear security.
Second week of December last year the agent at the IFL desk told me they close at 7:00PM. Open ???
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Pardon my ignorance, but if I'm flying ORD-YVR will I get access to this lounge? Really look forward to a shower after stepping off a 12 hour flight.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Pardon my ignorance, but if I'm flying ORD-YVR will I get access to this lounge? Really look forward to a shower after stepping off a 12 hour flight.
Yes, as a UA/AC flying STAR GOLD from a non-US airline FFP.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Good news.

I wonder if there are any plans in the works for SFO or IAD, the two other big int'l gateways.
SFO has two shower locations, but you have to be traveling GlobalFirst or at least full J to use the arrivals lounge.

The first is the arrival's lounge on the basement level between international and domestic terminals. Very nice lounge with many showers (say a dozen). But you have to be in GlobalFirst or full J to access the lounge. Full reward travel in GF or J count, but upgraded tickets do not qualify. And I don't believe discounted J counts either. I used the week before after arriving in GF from SYD. The lounge was not crowded, maybe 6 people and only a few of the showers were occupied. They don't go by your boarding pass, they look you up in the system to determine eligibility.

The second is the GF lounge near gate 98 in the international terminal at SFO. You have to be flying GF to access (not sure if GS qualifies). The lounge has two showers. Very nice lounge. Was able to access with my same day GF boarding pass (from SYD) even though I had a connecting domestic flight. You can walk airside between the UA terminals now. Did not see anyone using these. They are adjacent to the rest rooms in the GF lounge.

Now the SFO international F lounge is a very nice lounge. Lots of great food items and self serve drinks. The best food I have seen at any lounge - short of a lounge with a custom order dining room. Much better than SQ F lounge in SYD for example.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
UA did not put showers in its new lounge at ORD in the commuter terminal. This would have been an opportunity to add more showers. You could very well have people connecting from international to a commuter flight. I would have thought that a new lounge (not just a remodel) like ORD would have added showers. CO/UA has one shower in the commuter terminal A at EWR.

At ORD - I just go over to the AA lounge if I wanted to use showers. A reason to have actual club memberships.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Mr. GLR just stepped off UA844 from GRU, and apparently had no wait to use a shower at 6:30am. He is 1K, and probably would have qualified regardless as he was on a J award. He was very, very happy.... and I look forward to being able to use it as ORD is my most frequent connection point back and forth to GRU. Even with a 15-30 minute wait, it would be much more convenient than the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.