Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Jeff comments on loss of "unmanaged" corporate traffic/PRASM at JP Morgan conference.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jeff comments on loss of "unmanaged" corporate traffic/PRASM at JP Morgan conference.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf
The new UA just offers a wider range of places I can go in coach, even as 1K. But I can do that on other airlines, too, and with UA's coach not being all that desirable, I'm giving much more weight to pricing, scheduling, and coach product, thus booking away from UA, especially on international travel (though often to *A credited to UA, because I do still manage lounge access and free bags).

UA serves a lot of places, which should make accumulating loyalty with them easy. But they also have to make it worthwhile.
You've nailed it. Very concisely.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mitchmu
2. VX doesn't hold a candle. True. But, look where they fly: NYC, PDX, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DCA, BOS, FLL. These are all cities that I fly to. Whereas you gave me a list of UA domestic destinations that I've NEVER flown to, VX gives me a list of domestic destinations that I actually do fly to. Hence, the size of the network isn't what matters. What matters is if they fly where I need to fly. VX does so disproportionally.
Cool, different airlines work for different people. Sounds like VX works better for you.

3. UA has more destinations. Obviously. And, it's irrelevant to me because it's not worth suffering through the abuse just to get 1K status. That was a part of my argument which you conveniently left out so you could create an argument.
Ah, I think we just see things differently. I don't think flying UA is "abuse" nor do I dislike it. I still get 4 day EUAs and fly in front the vast majority of the time. For me, the merger has been an improvement so I wouldn't even remotely characterize UA "abusive." We just don't see eye to eye on that, which is cool.

Originally Posted by todorovic
Your argument relies on someone's desire to stay with a single airline. The only reason for this is the loyalty and if the loyalty program is sub par then there is really no reason not to spread the spend across many carriers. The argument made by others is that it will take more than network and ops to keep/bring new customers and I think you just agreed with others.
You're right, I have. I guess I still see good loyalty benefits from the UA program and I get good upgrade rates, so staying with UA hasn't been as painful as others have experienced.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BearDown
With all of the talk about route network, I'm curious about the signs UA has posted in the airports and jet bridges. The advertisement boasts 370 destinations. Does anyone know if that counts partner flights? I'm guess it does, but I did some googling and I couldn't find the answer.
Originally Posted by entropy
it certainly counts regional partners. I don't think it includes *A partners. regional partners account for probably a good 1/3 of their traffic. All of those regional airports, and most mexican airports are RJ only.
The napkins with this ad copy have fine print saying that the 370 destinations are those served by UA and/or UX.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mileage Plus in America and Qantas down under
Here's the bottom line folks - ole whatshisname's "over-entitled" comment is very much like ole Willard Milton Romney's 47% comment - they both wish the general public didn't have such a stark example of their true feelings, but it's a bit too late - this train (er plane) has already left.... HAPPY TRAILS
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by unavaca
If you want the most non-stop destinations out of SFO on one carrier, UA is the clear choice. Ditto for most of their other hubs.
Due to a trouble plagued and mischievous 2012 effecting HVF's and some of the same continuing in 2013, the days have passed whereby I will "blindly" throw money at a business relationship not showing a good ROI. Other airline company's are getting me a better return, whether soft or hard.

Your comment above, like the one Smi/J made, misses the point. Where someone fly's, only allows their name to be included in the selection process. The next step in the process, which is choosing one of the contenders, includes a host of variables. In my case personally, UA is getting the nod 50-60% less than in the past. Other factors do come into play now.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PVDProf
Indeed. The network was a compelling argument when the question was, What carrier can I fly so that I can get upgraded and treated well on most of my flying? And when I focused that business all on old UA, I managed to get enough status to continue to get upgrades; their network made it easy for someone who rarely goes the same place twice.

The new UA just offers a wider range of places I can go in coach, even as 1K. But I can do that on other airlines, too, and with UA's coach not being all that desirable, I'm giving much more weight to pricing, scheduling, and coach product, thus booking away from UA, especially on international travel (though often to *A credited to UA, because I do still manage lounge access and free bags).

UA serves a lot of places, which should make accumulating loyalty with them easy. But they also have to make it worthwhile.
I think that this is the crux of the matter. And I say this as a SFO based flier who flew TWA/AA, then CO/NW, before finally setting back into UA. I was with the other airlines because they put me in F, not Y, and they treated me right. When the upgrades/good treatment went away, I moved on.

Yes, out of SFO, the current UA probably gives me another 10 of my 120 legs a year that are direct, over flying a connection. But some of those are RJs, and often its a non-stop one way, connecting back as the one flight is not a useful time.

SFO is different in this way. If you fly a lot, UA may go (on its own metal) to 40-50% of the places you need to go directly. This is far different than at ORD/IAH/EWR where UA goes to probably 90% of the places you might go direct. So the lock in is much lighter as SFO is not a traditional hub and spoke hub for anyone.

Now in return for the benifit of avoiding an extra 10 connections, I get to be jammed into RJ-145/CRJ700s for long flights, and the other "benifits" (bad award redemptions, poor food, bad coffee, no pillows, etc) that UA is offering.

Given the choice between UA and mainline, better service, and a few more connections on DL, DL is getting a lot of my business. And if the upgrades I get as a GS go away (as they will next year for sure) then UA will get NONE of my business, and the airline that is giving me upgrades (DL) will get it all.

Sitting in Y for those few extra directs on UA is not an appetizing deal, and it is (at SFO anyway) where you will probably be with TODs.

Last edited by spin88; Mar 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
My view is that the network only provides a benefit in two cases:

1. If UA flies direct, at a convenient time, to my destination, and nobody else does. This is almost never true. There is only one destination (SFO-LIH) where UA is the only direct option. For all other destinations I fly to, there is competition, also direct, also with decent schedules. If UA doesn't fly direct, then I can get just about anywhere in the world in the same time that it would take to connect with UA, so UA rarely has any advantage.

2. In the past, the route network meant that I could fly almost anywhere in the world, and I could stay with UA. I did this because I wanted 1K/GS status. I wanted 1K/GS status because of the benefits it provided, most significantly - upgrades. Now that the benefits have been diminished and iupgrades are far less frequent, the benefit of being 1K/GS is far lower than it was before. Therefore, the motivation to stick with UA instead of a competitor is diminished. Therefore, the route network is worthless. Put another way, when I evaluated AA's Exp status match offer, it was not a smart choice for me, because their route network is so small that I'd find it nearly impossible to fly 100,000 miles on AA metal. Therefore, I could not get the benefits that their status offers. With UA, I can get the benefits, but the benefits are diminished, hence not worth having anymore.

Therefore, route network = irrelevant.
My point exactly. And if you think its irrelevant for you without a good FF program, it is even more the case for someone like me who is 1k for life. The only incentive for me to fly UA when it isn't simply the best schedule is to try to use up the upgrade carts they give me. And I used to go out of my way to earn GS.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unavaca
Cool, different airlines work for different people. Sounds like VX works better for you....
Correct - different airlines work for *alot* of different people, and that means everyone (SF residents included) has a choice, and that choice does not always require a flight on UA....and thus, a big route network and average operational reliability is not a big hook to hang your hat on - or build an airline business.

Either your product and loyalty program differentiates, or the money will be flying out the window to your partners or competitors.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by pdx1M
My point exactly. And if you think its irrelevant for you without a good FF program, it is even more the case for someone like me who is 1k for life. The only incentive for me to fly UA when it isn't simply the best schedule is to try to use up the upgrade carts they give me. And I used to go out of my way to earn GS.
Did you see my post on the MMer thread? Sounds like they will give you GS if you fly 100,000 miles.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
My view is that the network only provides a benefit in two cases:

1. If UA flies direct, at a convenient time, to my destination, and nobody else does. This is almost never true. There is only one destination (SFO-LIH) where UA is the only direct option. For all other destinations I fly to, there is competition, also direct, also with decent schedules. If UA doesn't fly direct, then I can get just about anywhere in the world in the same time that it would take to connect with UA, so UA rarely has any advantage.

2. In the past, the route network meant that I could fly almost anywhere in the world, and I could stay with UA. I did this because I wanted 1K/GS status. I wanted 1K/GS status because of the benefits it provided, most significantly - upgrades. Now that the benefits have been diminished and upgrades are far less frequent, the benefit of being 1K/GS is far lower than it was before. Therefore, the motivation to stick with UA instead of a competitor is diminished. Therefore, the route network is worthless. Put another way, when I evaluated AA's Exp status match offer, it was not a smart choice for me, because their route network is so small that I'd find it nearly impossible to fly 100,000 miles on AA metal. Therefore, I could not get the benefits that their status offers. With UA, I can get the benefits, but the benefits are diminished, hence not worth having anymore.

Therefore, route network = irrelevant.
As several other entires have noted, you have hit this one on the head.
Well said. All things being equal, if I am going to sit in coach, not be recognized as a Million Miler, and board in a group as large as the number of coach seats, I can choose any other airline.

United may keep me coming back for Economy Plus, but if I have to sit in an E+ middle seat, I will choose a window or aisle in regular coach. If I have to do that, I have a choice of airlines. Every airline has regular coach - some even have better regular coach seats.

I WANT to fly United. I have been loyal to UA since they were headquartered at MDW (thus my name). I have had a mileage plus account since the second month of the program.

Yet, all things being equal, they are driving me away!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What folks are saying is network / ops are necessary items for successful but of themselves alone are not sufficient for success. There are other factors that matter -- for some it maybe price, for others it may be service, .... loyalty reward .... schedule .....

Network & ops are important / necessary but there is more to a person's choice in provider.
I agree.

Just today in the media I read that while United has been trying to get its merged act together DL has been growing in the NYC area, and just today announced plans to grow at LAX - with mainline metal.

Where has United grown lately - except using regional aircraft?

(OK, I'll give you some 787 destinations, but, at least for the time being, that if off the schedule.)

Last edited by J.Edward; Mar 6, 2013 at 7:18 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
United may keep me coming back for Economy Plus, but if I have to sit in an E+ middle seat, I will choose a window or aisle in regular coach. If I have to do that, I have a choice of airlines. Every airline has regular coach - some even have better regular coach seats.

I WANT to fly United. I have been loyal to UA since they were headquartered at MDW (thus my name). I have had a mileage plus account since the second month of the program.

Yet, all things being equal, they are driving me away!
Sad. I look at myself, and think it's absurd they are pushing me out. Someone like you, a MM'er with loyalty since the second month of the program, that cuts even deeper. Points to the new transactional mentality. Nothing you've done for them in the past or plan for the future is relevant or even taken into account. It's all about what you're willing to do for them now. Right now. Forget the past, forget the future. No strategic thinking. No relationship. All that matters is: right now. This second. If you're not willing to throw a pile of cash at them, then you're out the door. Next ...

As for E+, that's as irrelevant to me as the route network, because I've never flown on an sCO aircraft that has E+ and with the endless aircraft substitutions that are going on, I never know if I'll end up on sUA or sCO, therefore, I never know if I'll have E+ or E-. And, the sCO E- is a torture chamber to me because I can't stand the endless loop of cheap advertising they force me to see from every possible angle and field of view. Four hours watching the same three advertisements repeat and repeat and repeat from the left, from the right, from every angle. It's horrific. More and more, I've found myself stuck on those aircraft.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
because I've never flown on an sCO aircraft that has E+ . . . Four hours watching the same three advertisements repeat and repeat and repeat from the left, from the right, from every angle. It's horrific. More and more, I've found myself stuck on those aircraft.
Well, that's just dumb luck. There are only 9 such aircraft (DTV with no E+) in the fleet, 2.5% of the sCO fleet and 1.3% overall!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Well, that's just dumb luck. There are only 9 such aircraft (DTV with no E+) in the fleet, 2.5% of the sCO fleet and 1.3% overall!
Why is it that every time I describe a bad experience with sCO, an sCO pops out of the woodwork to tell me I have bad luck? Couldn't you come up with anything even slightly more original than that?

Are you saying that most sCO don't have DTV that are always on with endless loops of advertising? Or, are you saying that most sCO do have DTV that are always on with endless loops of advertising but also have E+ so you can have a few inches of additional legroom while your brain is being fried by the endless negative stimulation from every angle of view?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 6, 2013 at 9:00 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
I can't stand the endless loop of cheap advertising they force me to see from every possible angle and field of view. Four hours watching the same three advertisements repeat and repeat and repeat from the left, from the right, from every angle. It's horrific.
On my last flight the flight attendant announced over the PA system how to turn off the TV monitors so you would be subject to all the "commercials".
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
On my last flight the flight attendant announced over the PA system how to turn off the TV monitors so you would be subject to all the "commercials".
Oh, so you got it too? I guess you must also have "bad luck."

Here's the thing:

1. You can turn it off by pressing the down button 5-10 times in a row.

2. It will turn back on at multiple points in the flight, so you will need to keep pressing that button at least 50-70 times per flight to keep it off.

3. The off button is depressed and hard to reach. The on button is raised and the slightest brush of your arm will turn it back on again.

4. Most FAs don't announce, most people don't listen, don't know, don't understand, or don't care. So, few of them get turned off anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.