Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United stalling compensation payment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

United stalling compensation payment

This is a long story, please bear with me. My husband and I were flying United from Frankfurt to Dulles in Dec. 2011. Our flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems, all passengers were put up in a hotel and fed until the next day, at which point we were re-booked on another flight. At that time, we weren't given or told about compensation for the cancelled flight. I was unaware of the EU regulation, believing it only applied to European carriers. Once we returned home to the states, I emailed a complaint to United regarding the flight. We were each offered $400 off our next domestic flight or 20% off a International flight, and were told that United agents had gone to the passengers on the flight offering the passengers travel vouchers. That never happened, as I had kept in contact with other passengers that we became friends with on the flight. Believing that was a good offer, we accepted the $400 each, and booked flights to Puerto Rico. Last summer after hearing a News broadcast about the EU regulation regarding cancelled flights, I came to the realization that we were eligible for €600 each, because the flight originated in Frankfurt. I emailed a complaint to United in Sept 2012 regarding the cancelled flight. Approx. a month later, I received a letter from United stating that United read through the email communication between myself and the Customer care dept. and found that we were never offered the €600 each, and even though we were given two vouchers worth $400 each and used those vouchers, that we were still eligible for receive the €600 each for United's failure to offer us the correct compensation. I filled out the form, took the form to my bank to have the bank give me the correct information to have the money transferred to my account and ever since then it has been a nightmare. We mailed the original form off to United London in the middle of of November. In January I called United and asked for information regarding the compensation. I was told to leave my name and email information and the agent handling the case would email me back. About a week later I heard from the agent and was told..
"Thank you for your follow-up call. I understand that you have not yet received your compensation for flight 933. We ask for your patience and understanding, once our accounting office in London receive the completed form it can take 30- 45 business days for them to complete the process and issue the wire transfer or check."
At that point I emailed the agent back..."It has been 2 weeks since I called United. During that 57 minute long phone conversation, where I was put on hold numerous times, I was told by a representative that we would be receiving our compensation from flight 933 within a week. It has now been 2 weeks and we still have not received the compensation and it has been 9 weeks since the form was mailed to London. I'm asking that United contact me via email to let me know what the delay is and when we will receive the compensation."
I received this reply..."I received a note from Ms. Banks today and I understand the you have not yet received your compensation. Did your request a wire transfer or a check. Please understand that this compensation is issued by our London accounting office and we do not have access to the completed forms here in Customer Care. If I was a check it can take 3 - 4 weeks once it is mailed in London to reach your mailing address.
Let me know what you selected and I will try to find out more information for you.".
Numerous times I had told the representatives taking my phone calls that we opted to have a wire transfer, apparently that message was never forwarded to the agent!
About a week later I received this reply...."Thank you for your reply. I have been advised by our account office in London that the payment was returned to us. Please send me the following information via email."
My reply was...."I am expecting a reply from you today regarding the compensation due me from United. The banking information that I mailed to United London was correct. There should have been no reason for the transfer not to have gone through. I have called, emailed and written United many, many times regarding the compensation and receive very little to no communication back. I again, expect a reply today regarding when the compensation is being mailed to me and whether the check will be mailed in Euros or Dollars and the reason the transfer was denied. My bank has told me it has not refused a wire transfer."
Again another week and numerous phone calls later I receive this email response.....I am responding to your emails dated January 28 and 29, as well as your call on January 31st. As I stated in my email I sent you on January 28, we may have interpreted the information incorrectly. Since we were advised by Mr. Fitzgerald, Client Service Account Manager for J.P. Morgan in the United Kingdom that the transfer was refused. The form on which you select a wire transfer and signed is a legal document and if you would now prefer a check you would need to fill in the attached forms and select check. Then mail them to our London office. If you select a check it would be issued in EURO as required by the regulation and you would be responsible for any bank fees.
Or you may resend the banking information via email we can resolve is this matter for you more quickly."
I emailed the information from my bank AGAIN to this agent and received this response......I have forwarded your banking information onto our London office. I will be in touch with you as soon as they reply.Thank you for your continued patience."
Again another email from United after a very tense phone call between myself and the Customer Care Agent........I received a email from our office in London today. The transfer has been processed and the bank is scheduled to action it ion February 14, 2013. We will know with in 2-3 days after that is the bank accepted the transfer or rejected it.I was not able to determine why you received a blank email from us the other day. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause. Again, we truly appreciate your patience."
On Feb. 20th I receive this email from United....The Agent handling your account is out of the office this week and she asked me to track this payment for you. I just heard from our London office that the payment initiated on February 14 was returned by the bank. Since this is appears to be the second attempt at a bank transfer, would you want to receive the payment in the form of a check? You should be aware that the check would be issued in Euros, so you might want to make sure that would not cause a problem at your bank.
Please let me know so that I can advise our London office how to proceed."
On Feb. 20th I emailed that agent back and stated..."Please have United send me a check, as apparently I only have 120 days from the time I was found to be eligible for the compensation from United for it to be paid out. Please advise me what I need to do on my end to make this happen asap."
That was 6 days ago. I've sent 3 more emails to both agents and have not heard back from either one of them. I think I've been as patient and understanding as one person can be. And to top it off, 4 of us are booked on a flight from Chicago to Berlin on United in May!
With the exception of filing a lawsuit against United (which I'm not going to do, because of the cost), what are my options?
Thank you.....Eurobound.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the condensed version:

OP was on an international flight that was canceled and covered by EU261 compensation
OP has successfully gotten UA to recognize s/he is due 600EU compensation under EU261
OP provided information directly from her bank to UA to initiate wire transfer of the funds from United office in London
UA attempted to wire the money several times and each time the payment was returned to UA

OP has since requested a check from UA for compensation and has not received any reply to her requests for six days

seems as though OP has been working with the same agents the entire time since initially requesting EU261 compensation

OP is looking for advice to speed receipt of the compensation

Finally, OP, your post is about 22 paragraphs too long if you want help.

My advice -- use your case number and call the London office and ask for the agent with whom you were corresponding there, or alternatively, provide your case number and address and ask that the payment be issued.

Good luck.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

The Agent that I've been emailing is in the United States. I've tried locating the number for United in London and cannot find the correct number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.