Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A first visit to a lounge-what should I know.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A first visit to a lounge-what should I know.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by ontheway
Although my nephew has invited me, I have never gone to a lounge. I have free passes for the United lounge (one time with the credit card) and will be taking advantage of it at the HNL airport.
I do not wish to make a fool of myself. Some of my questions are, are there both free and pay things there. How do I know the difference if there are. Is there any dress code? Want to know anything that may help me feel comfortable going in there.
I would ask for a free glass of wine at the bar, get some munchies, then find a quiet spot facing west to watch the sunset. The club also has a nice shell collection that you can check out. Remember, it's Hawaii! Not stuffy like EWR.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alex_b
Is that a pmCO or pmUA thing. I've never had drink chits that I can remember, although my recent evening C experiences have been out of EWR.
The drink chits are long gone, replaced by the pmCO free drinks. A change we liked, IIRC.

Pay for premium wine and top shelf spirits, though how much I don't know as I've never indulged.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Nobody has really chimed in on this, but I think most tend to consider HNL one of the better domestic lounges. I know its one of my favorites. They also have a wider selection of juices for the free cocktails. They're the only one I know of with pineapple juice.

If I only had two CC certs to use and I wasn't going to be passing through NRT or HKG, I think HNL would be a better use of one of them.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Please prominently display your "I am a CC kettle" sign at all time when in the lounge, so that premium passengers can treat you with the proper disdain. Also, don't forget to salute GSers---you will recognize them by the flecks of gold in their aura.

(Enjoy yourself. It beats waiting for hours at the gate. Usually.)
As long as you hang a sign that says 'Suckered Elite' and we'll both eat free pretzels.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Except at DFW where it is at times almost useless with dead spots, I've found it very useful for what I need to do ^

So while at DFW I have to ask for a reboot every other time I visit (and that only get it working again SLOWLY), they told me that an upgrade is coming
DFW airport has offered free AT&T Wi-Fi since last year. If you feel compelled to use the UC hotspot, the bandwidth upgrade should be complete in the next 10 days.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by cranky1K
The drink chits are long gone, replaced by the pmCO free drinks. A change we liked, IIRC.

Pay for premium wine and top shelf spirits, though how much I don't know as I've never indulged.
I have no issues paying then cheap "free" swill. It's one thing i much prefer at AA's clubs is you can pay for decent stuff and not worry about Jack or Jeim Beam. CO in particular 10 years ago so cheapened the booze but it was "free" i didnt even bother and went somewhere else in the airport for a cocktail when i needed one.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
OP here. I am using the passes at HNL because FTs felt it was a better lounge than LGA. I want to thank all who replied not only for the information but for the wonderful entertainment I get reading these boards. I love Flyertalk....really I do.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
The first thing you should do is lower your expectations
I did, and then the UC at SEA exceeded my expectations.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ontheway
OP here.

<snip>

but for the wonderful entertainment I get reading these boards. I love Flyertalk....really I do.
Yes, this has turned out to be one of the more entertaining threads, and even provided some info

EmailKid
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:34 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyOverVille
Multiple points to know:

1. Make sure others know your club entry was due to your credit card - watch carefully and you'll see some DYKWIA heads explode.
Oh NO, NO NO...

Say something like this (loudly):

'I am Star Gold via Aegean and I only need 20k miles to get & maintain Star Gold and I can access all UA Clubs (with a companion) for free even when flying domestically' Would love to see how DYKWIA's would react then...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by cranky1K

I must have confused with a legacy UA RCC ...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
OP said "credit card" on this board and lived to tell about it? The DYKWIA precious metal must be getting soft!

Wow. He needs to swing by LAS next and put some money on the tables.

Nonetheless, enjoy yourself! Sure, it wasn't what it used to be, or what some other international airlines may offer, but it sure beats some of the alternatives! Haven't experienced the HNL club myself yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.