Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000+ Lifetime Miles just vanished

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Jeez, maybe you should lighten up. Did you not see the big smiley face at the end of the line? Meant as a joke based on the exact numbers you posted which did in fact come to 25K. Wow, come on. And what does having advanced doctorate degrees have to do with anything? Wow DYKWIA!!!
Baze: Sorry about the "smiley" stuff, but if you tell someone he/she can't add, smiley's don't compensate. Advanced doctorates don't mean much at Flyertalk anyway, so I agree with you. I believe you post too much, and I regret that I post as much as do I. Suggest we both let it go and do more lurking than posting. I don't need, nor want, you to know who I am. Best regards to you.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
And this morning my 2,000 missing miles reappeared.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1.4MM, Marriott Platinum
I got my 3,000 miles back this morning, after 3 days--this has been a good reminder about taking regular screenshots.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
My 200,000+ miles are back! man, why do we put up with this??? How many more system glitches can they find??
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullFare
Baze: Sorry about the "smiley" stuff, but if you tell someone he/she can't add, smiley's don't compensate. Advanced doctorates don't mean much at Flyertalk anyway, so I agree with you. I believe you post too much, and I regret that I post as much as do I. Suggest we both let it go and do more lurking than posting. I don't need, nor want, you to know who I am. Best regards to you.
Point taken and I always go back to the point, Einstein couldn't add. So it has nothing to do with ones intelligence. But Einstein's inability to do basic math is also a myth, hence the joke. He actually had problems with things such as language, etc.

So I apologize if you took offense.

And as for posting too much, under 3500 posts in ~14 years is not very much. specially when compared to ones with 30,000+ posts and some of those in a MUCH shorter time period.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Edit - The missing miles for me are exactly 3 one-waytrips between OGG and IAH via LAX, which is my previous 4 weeks or so activity prior to a pair of flights Thursday. Maybe those with correct mileage haven't flown in that period?
No flight activity in that timeframe and lifetime miles appear to be correct...

Edit: Post is probably of little value since others were already reporting that missing credit had reappeared. I must've accidentally skipped from the first page to this one, as I didn't see any of that in my first read. Sorry!

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Feb 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Yep!

After it went down from 171,XXX to 159,590 I sent an email to 1Kvoice. When I opened up my email this morning, they wrote me back and asked for screenshots to prove that I had 171,XXX...

Logged-in and saw my lifetime flight miles was at 53,911 ...?

Then another hour later I saw it went back to 171,XXX...

WOW... United ... you are quite something... Never a boring day at the IT department
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS & 1MM, Carlson Concierge, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, BW Diamond
My 4,120 erroneous lifetime miles came back also. I doubt this is the end of it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:16 pm

This is stupid ... we can't go around taking screen shots ever so often (does anybody do this for their bank account? Thank you, didn' t think so) just because UA is messed up

Originally Posted by sfoboy85
After it went down from 171,XXX to 159,590 I sent an email to 1Kvoice. When I opened up my email this morning, they wrote me back and asked for screenshots to prove that I had 171,XXX...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
I have advanced doctorate degrees and know hot to add.
What are advanced doctorate degrees? One doctorate was more than enough for me, I can't imagine doing any more (although if I'd stayed in academic I may have submitted my collected journals for a D.Sc.). Is this something to do with the US having these weird "taught doctorates" for medicine, physical therapy etc, which really are just second degrees with a courtesy title?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I checked when I first saw this thread, but my lifetime total (close to 400k) was correct, ie, it matches the spreadsheet I've been maintaining. I'm currently at 15 (actual) segments on UA for the year, so I've definitely had activity since 1/1.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Aegean-Gold, TK-Elite, Accor-Platinum, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Club Carlson-Gold,AMEX-Platinum
Yes...

Originally Posted by malgudi
This is stupid ... we can't go around taking screen shots ever so often (does anybody do this for their bank account? Thank you, didn' t think so) just because UA is messed up
I agree, this is ridiculous!!! Why do I have to prove things if their system is so broken that it randomly takes away lifetime flight miles?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:06 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I sort of hate to say this, but... is this really worth complaining about? I'm specifically addressing this to those of us that posted angry, frustrated comments after the bug was fixed.

The database screwed up for between 24 and 48 hours. It got fixed (and, yes, my missing 160K are back too). It had no consequences for anybody's status or upgrades.

So something went wonky and it got fixed pretty quickly. This happens pretty often in the IT world -- heck, Hilton's entire reservations engine goes down about once a month. Honestly, much as I'd love to complain about this, I don't think it's worth it. There was never any concrete reason to believe that the screwup was either (1) permanent, or (2) malicious -- and no cause to believe that United was out to get us or significantly incompetent... unless you were already convinced of that.

Definitely not trying to start a flame discussion here. I just believe it's not a very big deal. (Obviously, had it not been fixed, it would have been a big deal... and from now on I'm keeping track of my lifetime miles just to be careful.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDS747
Seems mine is around 10k low. Hmmm...
As others have posted mine are back now. Just a little glitch I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
I hit 2MM lifetime last week (2,006,000) and found it down by 8k this morning and now back to correct amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.