Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to book on Weekends?!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:24 pm

The bigger and more important question is: you're still flying UA? Didn't you go over to the dAArkside last year?

Originally Posted by blueman2
I know the traditional view (and my past experience validates it) is to book on Tuesday or Wednesday when the airlines free up lower fare buckets. The WORST time was weekends, when low price fare buckets were rare to find. This has worked well for me for years. But recently on UA, I have noticed prices consistently being lower on weekends for many routes I am looking at. The complete opposite of the past.

Anyone else seeing this trend?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I never purchase on the weekend. Ever. I've seen transcons drop $100 from Sunday night to Monday night.
Unfortunately, I almost always purchase on the weekend. Not because it's smart, but because that's when I have time to deal with it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Lowly Silver, CBP Global Entry
Talking

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I wonder if this will change with the new era in this route (competing with VX). There are about a gazillion fares published for post-4/2, and it seems that the way this route is priced has fundamentally changed.
Supply and demand, baby. Let's hope VX steals all those passengers and UA will be forced to lower the price due to empty seats.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:26 pm

Inventory matters for some. But for those of us who can always purchase months in advance - both for business and pleasure - its about finding the right fare. Often that means overnight Friday-Saturday when the airlines are more prone to load mistaken fares and constantly keeping an eye on fares during the week when airlines play with one another vis-a-vis fares loaded for only short times. Generally, however, I find Sundays the worst time.

Last edited by Indelaware; Feb 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Inventory matters for some. But for those of us who can always purchase months - both for business and pleasure - its about finding the right fare. Often that means overnight Friday-Saturday when the airlines are more prone to load mistaken fares and constantly keeping an eye on fares during the week when airlines play with one another vis-a-vis fares loaded for only short times. Generally, however, I find Sundays the worst time.
Ditto. I check the list of all published fares between NYC/EWR and LAX at least four times a day. That's how I've discovered and booked most of my cheap transcons. Sometimes the fares disappeared within hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.