Wiki Posts
Search

Cheaper to book on Weekends?!?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Cheaper to book on Weekends?!?

I know the traditional view (and my past experience validates it) is to book on Tuesday or Wednesday when the airlines free up lower fare buckets. The WORST time was weekends, when low price fare buckets were rare to find. This has worked well for me for years. But recently on UA, I have noticed prices consistently being lower on weekends for many routes I am looking at. The complete opposite of the past.

Anyone else seeing this trend?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Apparently a professor at Texas A&M found something similar. Had this article sent to me the other day: http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2013/02/07...m-researchers/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:25 pm

Not for the searches I do. Lowest fares I find are between Tues. and Thurs. - often early Wed - early Thurs.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For the record, lower prices could mean one of two things: newly published fares, or increased bucket availability. Different of these things tend to happen on different days, IME.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I definitely used to find my usual trips to YYZ were actually often cheaper to buy on the weekends. Prices often went down on Thursday, back up by Monday morning. But that was a couple of years ago, not so much that I notice anymore.

Of course, the truth for me is that living in CVG, there is virtually no day to get tickets for cheap.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think Tues/Weds still are cheapest based on the fact that those seem to be the days "sales" start (usually from the likes of WN and then UA/DL/AA slowly start matching throughout the day)....it's worth noting that weekends are probably better for "fare mistakes"...remember a few years ago when we were all flying to LIM for a few hours (and HNL, ANC, etc. along the way)?? That little gem of a mileage run showed up on a Sunday
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:35 am

Not all weekend days are the same. Saturdays are often less costly to fly on than either Fridays or Sundays.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Not all weekend days are the same. Saturdays are often less costly to fly on than either Fridays or Sundays.
This is a thread about booking day, not flight day.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by blueman2
I know the traditional view (and my past experience validates it) is to book on Tuesday or Wednesday when the airlines free up lower fare buckets. The WORST time was weekends, when low price fare buckets were rare to find. This has worked well for me for years. But recently on UA, I have noticed prices consistently being lower on weekends for many routes I am looking at. The complete opposite of the past.

Yes, I was just thinking this the other day. Weekends seem to offer much better ticket prices lately.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:30 pm

It has always been my understanding that sale fares are launched on Tue/Wed and that space in cheap buckets, after it's been exhausted, it also pushed out on Tue/Wed. Hence, these are the best days to check for good fares. Seems to match what others are saying. I've never personally tested this but it seems logical.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mitchmu
It has always been my understanding that sale fares are launched on Tue/Wed and that space in cheap buckets, after it's been exhausted, it also pushed out on Tue/Wed. Hence, these are the best days to check for good fares. Seems to match what others are saying. I've never personally tested this but it seems logical.
I never purchase on the weekend. Ever. I've seen transcons drop $100 from Sunday night to Monday night.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:41 pm

I have never noticed a pattern. That does not mean much, as I book the fares as needed.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Lowly Silver, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by blueman2

I have been tracking and buying EWR-LAX Friday to Monday for the past 4 years and have noticed a shift to Saturdays as being the cheapest to buy your ticket since the Fall of 2012. I recommend yapta.com for price alerts sent to your phone.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by frankiedue
I have been tracking and buying EWR-LAX Friday to Monday for the past 4 years and have noticed a shift to Saturdays as being the cheapest to buy your ticket since the Fall of 2012. I recommend yapta.com for price alerts sent to your phone.
I wonder if this will change with the new era in this route (competing with VX). There are about a gazillion fares published for post-4/2, and it seems that the way this route is priced has fundamentally changed.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I wonder if this will change with the new era in this route (competing with VX). .....
3 day min stay has been dropped for deep discount fare ... major impact on pricing for short trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.