Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Guide to CPUs

In order for you to receive a CPU, four conditions have to be met at the same moment in time:

(NB: The following does not apply to GS members, whose CPUs process at least somewhat differently, out of the PN bucket.)

1. The flight must be within the relevant CPU window:
  • GS: 120 hours
  • 1K: 96 hours
  • Plat: 72 hours
  • Gold: 48 hours
  • Silver: 24 hours

If the flight is scheduled to depart after midnight central time, all of these windows open 24 hours early, due to a system glitch.

2. There must be CPU availability. CPUs for non-GS members draw from an invisible bucket that is often (but not always) pegged to roughly one or two less than the R bucket. At the gate, all remaining seats are released.

3. You must be high enough on the relevant upgrade list.

There are two separate upgrade lists, used during the two different upgrade processes described in (4) below. Understand how these lists work is one of the things people struggle with the most.

The Pre-Gate List (a/k/a the "sweeps list" or "EUA list")

This list is used in the pre-gate process described in (4) below. Your presence on the list is indicated by the CPU Requested icon/language on your reservation, but you cannot find out what position you are on this list through any public method. The list is sorted in this manner:
- Displaced first-class passengers (Bought two-segment F ticket, F wasn't available on this segment at time of purchase)

- GS using any method (note GS clear out of PN)

- Uncleared instant upgrades, sorted by fare class* and status (e.g.: Silver in Y, Plat in B, Gold in B, 1K in M)

- Waitlisted instrument/mile upgrades, sorted by status of redeeming account, fare class, and then time of request (e.g.: person in N upgrading using 1K's miles, Plat in S using own RPU applied on Tuesday, person in S using a Plat's RPU applied on Friday)**

- CPUs, sorted by status, fare class, and time of purchase (e.g.: 1K in E, 1K in N, Plat in E, Plat in X***, Gold in G purchased in November, Gold in G purchased in December)

*The coach fare classes, in the order that is relevant to this whole discussion, are: Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, N, YN/HN/XN/X

**Note: The upgrades above CPU can clear using R space, CPU appears to be a subset, so R space alone is not sufficent for CPU clearing.

***CPUs are only available for mileage tickets for certain credit card holders. It's a complicated issue that is generally beyond the scope of this thread. There is a separate thread for it.
The Gate List (a/k/a the "visible list")

This list controls upgrades at the gate. It is semi-visible to the public on the status page for a flight, but the status page only shows checked in passengers. Even if you appear first on the list, you might actually be fifteenth by the time everyone checks in.

This list is in the same order as the list above, except that the time-related tiebreakers (such as time of purchase) are replaced with sequence number (which is related to time of check-in). Additionally, certain non-revs (airline employees and family traveling for free or at low cost) are put on the gate list, at the end.

4. One of the two upgrade processes must run.

The Pre-Gate Process (a/k/a the "sweeps" or "EUA")

This process runs at certain times in the days leading up to the flight. It typically runs at 24 hour intervals leading up to T-24, at which point it begins to run more often. It is unclear exactly how often it runs, or when it stops running. There are reports of upgrades that seem to have been given by the pre-gate system even once boarding has begun.

The Gate Process

This process is manually accomplished by the GA, typically once if there are empty seats after check-in has closed, and again if there are no-shows in F. In the latter case, the GA may come onto the plane to give the new boarding pass to the passenger.

Sometimes the GA might not run the process, which makes them a Very Bad GA. On very rare occasions, they might fiddle with the process to upgrade their friends, which we call "shenanigans." That makes them a Mega Bad And Very In Trouble GA. Both of these situations should be reported in the relevant FT thread and directly to UA.

CPU FAQ

I'm number one on the upgrade list on the flight status page. Does that mean I'm first in line for the upgrade?

No, unless the check-in window has passed and the flight is under gate control.

There are seats available in F, why have I not been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

There is R availability, why haven't I been upgraded yet?

That's not how it works. See above.

Will the time that I check in affect my ability to get an upgrade?

Probably not. It is the third tie-breaker on the gate list only. See above.

Do I need to check in to get an upgrade?

No. Except at the gate. But if you're not checked in by that time, you have bigger problems.

Who are all these people on the standby list and the upgrade list(s)?

Non-revs. See above.

But the website says that the Silver window opens the day of departure, not at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the website says that there is a "transfer" of the lists at T-24!

Ignore that.

But the agent said ____________________________!

Ignore them.

DidItClear

If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Print Wikipost

"Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA" Thread [ARCHIVE])

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I think there is confusion on this board exactly what CPU means.
I'm not arguing with your analysis, but re the issue of what CPU means, I think UA uses it to mean both.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
How can you avoid a CPU?

My friend (gold) was travelling with his wife but on different PNRs. he was upgraded through the normal CPU process (along with the entire front of the plane apparently), then called at approximately T-20 to ask that it be "undone" so he could sit in E+ with his wife. over the phone, change made easily, sitting back in row 10. He wakes up this morning to find he's been upgraded again and needs to do it all over, this time at the airport. Why would the sweep run again inside the check in window? Is there a real way to remove a reservation from the CPU process ahead of time to avoid this type of hassle?

(Apologize if there's a thread already, I tried a few versions of searching "prevent CPU" to no avail.)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'd like to hear how you do 100,000 on UA these days for $3-4K.

I can't imagine you could do it for less than double that.
takes alot of searching!

I also fly where the deals are!

Had to reposition last year from GPT to LGA - flew 5 RTs LGA to PDX at $120 each. I did 3 of them in a row - 1 RT per day - Slept overnight at LGA. Wish I would have bought more!

Best routing was thru IAH - 6482 miles. Most of my RT were thru ORD - 4944

20 RT would get u to 100k for $2400 with 1 IAH routing included.

I also flew 3 RTs DEN to MDT for $125
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by uaflr
takes alot of searching!

I also fly where the deals are!

Had to reposition last year from GPT to LGA - flew 5 RTs LGA to PDX at $120 each. I did 3 of them in a row - 1 RT per day - Slept overnight at LGA. Wish I would have bought more!

Best routing was thru IAH - 6482 miles. Most of my RT were thru ORD - 4944

20 RT would get u to 100k for $2400 with 1 IAH routing included.

I also flew 3 RTs DEN to MDT for $125
Getting all of your miles at 2.4 CPM with 20 nights on benches in LGA would make some burn with jealousy, and would horrify others

As for the idea that it would take $6K-8K to get 1K status, I was thinking about it and my leisure travel alone (transcons every 2-4 weeks) could get me to 1K for less than $7,000 if I were to do it a bit more often, and that's without really trying! $4,500 seems easy given deals on the MR forum, $3,500 is quite doable, and $2,500 requires some perseverance but can be done.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
So I'm currently in one of the oft-described situations where F/A/Z/P are standing at 8+ and the seat map is wide open. No R/RN (which shouldn't matter anyway) and am well within T-72 (as a 1K). None of us is privy to the voodoo that is the CPU process.

I honestly believe that United should run the CPU list just once at T-24, saving 1-2 seats for last minute purchases (F/A/Y/B/M) which would otherwise be upgraded right before boarding if unsold. Before that, give us a discounted (by status) shot at a TOD/HOD if you want the incremental revenue.

But this business of "offering" a free F seat at T-96 just to hold out for last minute purchases is absurd. Just do it all at T-24 when these are a lot less likely to happen.

Then again, I'm not sure I trust them to offer me a lower TOD/HOD than Mr/Mrs Kettle...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, LANPASS Gold, AerolineasPlus Gold
Thanks for your detailed explanations. Sounds very reasonable. Only thing is I was never asked to split the reservation so will never know if it was the system itself or was the agent.
I am new here and heve been learning a lot these last days reading the forum. I am now starting to understand how these ugrades work. Hope I had found it a couple of years before. I would have given a better use to my 1K benefits!

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I think there is confusion on this board exactly what CPU means. CPU is the upgrade system that runs prior to flight (up until about 3 hours prior, AFAIK, but maybe that has changed), and you can not see this list ever. You can not get "CPU'd" at the gate, or on a PNR with more than two people on it - you were upgraded from the airport upgrade standby list, which you can get on if you do not clear CPU. You can see the order of this list, and can only get on this list by being on a PNR on your own. And actually, you can be on both lists simultaneously between check in and whenever CPU stops running, but that's just more details.

Sounds to me like what happened is this: when you checked in at EZE for your outbound you had the record split to get on the upgrade standby list for your EWR-PUJ flight (either you selected yes, you want to go on the upgrade standby list at a kiosk/online, or the agent did this for you when checking you in). When you got to EWR, you got an upgrade at the gate based on the upgrade standby list, and your companions did not since they were below you (that's an assumption - this is missing from your post). The way to tell if you got split is to look at the bottom of the BPs - they each list the six-digit PNR. If they are different, you're split - if they are the same, its still the same PNR.

Since all members of your party were elite, they were all on the CPU list on their own status for the return, and there was enough space to get everyone upgraded via CPU on the return flight to EWR.

Per other posts, best strategy to get upgraded prior to the gate for an itin like this is to split people off of the PNR prior to departure - i.e. have the 1K and one of the silvers on 1 PNR, and have the others on a PNR together (or two separately. With four on a PNR, you will not be able to get upgraded beforehand, this way, you might be able to have some or all upgraded through CPU. Of course, using this strategy assumes you are willing to split passengers in different cabins. If you're not, best advice is either to stay on one PNR, say no to being added to upgrade standby list at checkin and to sit in economy, or split into 2 PNRs, say yes at checkin, but decline upgrade at the gate if not all 4 clear.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by JMRL
Thanks for your detailed explanations. Sounds very reasonable. Only thing is I was never asked to split the reservation so will never know if it was the system itself or was the agent.
I am new here and heve been learning a lot these last days reading the forum. I am now starting to understand how these ugrades work. Hope I had found it a couple of years before. I would have given a better use to my 1K benefits!
There have also been reports of PNRs splitting "on their own," through some glitch or otherwise. In an age where flying has become so routine, a computer system from a different age like SHARES is constantly adding new "fun."
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hawaiian Premier
Happily Surprised

Good morning FTers...

I'm on UA 383 tonight from HNL->DEN on business. Since I always go to our office straight from the airport, I really value the enhanced ability to sleep in the F cabin. As such, and not wanting to take any chances with CPU, I put in for an upgrade using miles at the time I booked the reservation, which was waitlisted.

Last night at T-24, I get an automated call from UA saying they were not able to upgrade me, and miles would be redeposited into my account. Oh well, no big deal. I check in and view the upgrade list before bed and I'm #1 of about 10 or so on the list for CPU. I think my chances are decent...there aren't a ton of 1Ks out of HNL...but think I'll have to wait and see at the gate.

This morning, I wake up and check my CPU position again (I can be a bit chronic about checking things like this), and was happy to see that I'd been cleared to first! No usual text or email from UA...I was just there. Sweet! Looks like I'll be able to get a decent nights rest after all.

Just wanted to share my happiness ^ - that'll be 5/5 CPUs cleared this year (including my return flight which has already cleared).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mdtakamine
Good morning FTers...

I'm on UA 383 tonight from HNL->DEN on business. Since I always go to our office straight from the airport, I really value the enhanced ability to sleep in the F cabin. As such, and not wanting to take any chances with CPU, I put in for an upgrade using miles at the time I booked the reservation, which was waitlisted.

Last night at T-24, I get an automated call from UA saying they were not able to upgrade me, and miles would be redeposited into my account. Oh well, no big deal. I check in and view the upgrade list before bed and I'm #1 of about 10 or so on the list for CPU. I think my chances are decent...there aren't a ton of 1Ks out of HNL...but think I'll have to wait and see at the gate.

This morning, I wake up and check my CPU position again (I can be a bit chronic about checking things like this), and was happy to see that I'd been cleared to first! No usual text or email from UA...I was just there. Sweet! Looks like I'll be able to get a decent nights rest after all.

Just wanted to share my happiness ^ - that'll be 5/5 CPUs cleared this year (including my return flight which has already cleared).
Great to hear. I have been equally happy with my upgrades as well.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:32 pm

I think it depends on where you are based, where you are flying to, and what time you are flying.

I looked at my log for the past few months and calculated a 30.8% upgrade rate for this 1K.

Code:

EWR	IAH	Failed Upgrade
IAH	PDX	Failed Upgrade
PDX	SFO	Upgraded
SFO	EWR	Failed Upgrade
JFK	IAD	N/A
IAD	CLT	Failed Upgrade
CLT	EWR	Failed Upgrade
EWR	SEA	Failed Upgrade
SEA	EWR	Upgraded
EWR	CLT	Failed Upgrade
CLT	EWR	Z Fare
EWR	SFO	Upgraded
SFO	SAN	Failed Upgrade
SAN	EWR	Upgraded
EWR	BWI	N/A
BWI	SFO	Failed Upgrade
SFO	DEN	Failed Upgrade
DEN	ABQ	Upgraded
ABQ	DEN	N/A
DEN	BWI	Failed Upgrade
BWI	EWR	N/A
LGA	ORD	Failed Upgrade
ORD	IAH	Failed Upgrade
IAH	ORD	Failed Upgrade
ORD	HKG	N/A
HKG	SIN	Upgraded
SIN	NRT	N/A
NRT	IAH	N/A
IAH	LGA	Upgraded
EWR	LAS	Failed Upgrade
LAS	FAT	N/A
FAT	SFO	N/A
SFO	HNL	Failed Upgrade
HNL	NRT	N/A
NRT	SIN	N/A
SIN	HKG	Upgraded
HKG	SFO	N/A
SFO	IAH	Failed Upgrade
IAH	EWR	Failed Upgrade
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:04 pm

Good morning FTers...

I'm on UA 383 tonight from HNL->DEN on business. Since I always go to our office straight from the airport, I really value the enhanced ability to sleep in the F cabin.
Time to find a better employer. Mine requires us to truly take the day off following any red-eye. The benefits of having employees on proper rest (better reasoning skills) exceeds any value of having the employee working the extra day.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:47 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I'm based in Austin and I do look at planes F availability when booking as I am a bit flexible on schedule and so far (knock on wood) I'm batting 1,000 on CPUs for this 1K. Here's my log.

Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Improved CPU chances

So far this year, I got 12 out of 14 segments for CPUs and 7 out of 9 segments for RPUs, as a 1K. Most of my CPUs and RPUs were cleared before T-24h. Just crossing my fingers for the rest of the year.

I have a trip coming in less than 7 days. The UA website does not allow me to "buy up" to FC but does for mileage upgrades. I guess that the itinerary has too many legs (>5) so that Shares has no clues for charging me because the shorter itineraries do have such an "buy up" option (but very expensive). Happy travel!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
I think it depends on where you are based, where you are flying to, and what time you are flying.

I looked at my log for the past few months and calculated a 30.8% upgrade rate for this 1K.
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
I'm based in Austin and I do look at planes F availability when booking as I am a bit flexible on schedule and so far (knock on wood) I'm batting 1,000 on CPUs for this 1K. Here's my log.[/IMG]
Originally Posted by sammyindc
Great to hear. I have been equally happy with my upgrades as well.
We'd love to have the benefit of all of your upgrade reports at diditclear.com, if they're not already there and you have the time!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
CPU: An example of check-in time trumping fare class

Since I'm a MMer, my wife and I are both 1K. When we travel together, we book two separate itineraries (no PNR auto-splitting for us). We booked a trip together a few weeks ago with exactly the same fares (G on the critical segment) and within a couple of minutes of each other (mine first, but I don't think that fact is relevant to this story).

Our return today was SFO-DEN and DEN-xxx. My auto-checkin worked as expected yesterday, but Mrs. Demo's hung up for some reason so her check wasn't completed until a few minutes later. When we looked at the upgrade list, there was someone in between us--rather a surprising development given how these tickets were booked.

When we got to Denver tonight, we happened to find the person who was after me and before Mrs. Demo on the upgrade list. He had connected from ABQ. Turns out our flight from SFO departed at 3:03 PST. His flight from ABQ departed at 4:07 MST (four minutes later). So with Mrs. Demo's delay in checking in it is indeed very likely that he checked in after me and before Mrs. Demo.

Here's the really interesting part. He was also a 1K. However, he was traveling on an N fare, which I would think should be a lower priority than G. So in this case check-in served as a more important tie-breaker than fare class.

One final comment--I obviously did not look at the other guy's reservation, so I am relying on what he told us about his fare class. He seemed quite knowledgeable about how all this stuff works. Among other comments, he had noticed that he was recently finding more N fares, while previously he found G fares to be the lowest class. Given all this, I feel pretty strongly that he knew which fare he had paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.